Scottish football's losers in 10 years

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Fans are going to be the losers in 10 years if prices keep escalating at the rate they are. Who do they think is going to be watching games when it starts ticking over the £30 mark on a weekly basis?

We really need to get a £20s plenty campaign for away fans in Scotland. It’s beyond a joke now. Surely clubs can’t sustain a model that sees away attendances dropping season upon season?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Fans are going to be the losers in 10 years if prices keep escalating at the rate they are. Who do they think is going to be watching games when it starts ticking over the £30 mark on a weekly basis?

The price of tickets doesn't matter when we can't even find a way to buy them.

5 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

What do you mean, r.e. Spivs? Have the changes not been well received with City fans? (There we go, I've implicitly answered my own question!)

To answer your query succinctly: No. 

What if Heart of Midlothian were to suddenly change their name to Capital Hearts or something equally as ludicrous- I don't think the Hearts fans would be best pleased. 

8 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Mate, it is precisely because of our troubles a decade ago that I said what I did. It did worry me at the time. As long as the largess of your owners holds up you will be fine, but surely year on year losses in the millions is not sustainable? 

Tried to tell them the same thing countless times, they don't want to listen. So f**k them.

Leonardo Dicaprio Loot GIF by LootBoyApp - Find & Share on GIPHY

Thank you.

56 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Tried to tell them the same thing countless times, they don't want to listen. So f**k them.

Leonardo Dicaprio Loot GIF by LootBoyApp - Find & Share on GIPHY

Thank you.

It’s only when the rug gets pulled that it all properly hits you. Doesn’t sound like the UTD fans have a lot of say or power over things though, just like we (and I assume Dundee) never. I suppose it’s fair enough. What can you do, except push it out of your mind, enjoy the present and hope for the best?

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm always glad to hear about our finances from clubs which have themselves always been so well run.

Looking forward to getting tax advice from Rangers too.

11 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Of the other clubs, Clyde for me jump out as one I don't think will be around in its current form in 10 years. Unless something drastic changes, they will either drop and fold or merge in with someone else and be playing at an amateur/junior stadium somewhere around Glasgow. 

Rangers tax policy illustrated and Keith Richard, Coackroaches and Clyde would survive armageddon.

download.jpeg-3.jpg

4 hours ago, sophia said:

Apparently Roy MacGregor is 69 (sixty nine) years of age.

When that fairy Godfather disappears I wonder where County will end up? I saw one Staggie on here recently saying they'd be a yo-yo club between Championship and League 1 when it finally happens. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmain said:

When that fairy Godfather disappears I wonder where County will end up? I saw one Staggie on here recently saying they'd be a yo-yo club between Championship and League 1 when it finally happens. 

This would be a disaster for the Premiership away fan.

Can we not have this happen to St Johnstone instead?

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

This would be a disaster for the Premiership away fan.

Can we not have this happen to St Johnstone instead?

St Johnstone fans with their weird and repulsive constant sooking up to Hibs. 🤮

3 hours ago, Jimmain said:

They would be.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Imagine the indignity. 😣

It’s nauseating. Thankfully the other wee diddy sook up club from up their way has returned to their natural position, in the division below.

No longer have to read comments like: “I like you Hibs, but… “ from borehemoth old twats like that boy with Jesus in his avatar. 😄

3 hours ago, Jimmain said:

There's three different scenarios. 

1) The plug gets pulled tomorrow á la Brooks Mileson at Gretna and we're fucked. However, there's no particular reason to think that scenario is likely.

2) Another apex investor takes over. There's no one that fits this bill currently involved, as far as I know. But there's no shortage of rich landowners in the Highlands who might be keen for a plaything or a bit of sportswashing.

3) A managed transition is the most likely, I think. The tap is gradually turned off and we regress to leaving within our means, perhaps with some more modest subsidies from some of the local businesses currently involved as sponsors. With the infrastructure and fanbase the club has, mid-table Championship is probably a reasonable expectation - with occasional prospects of challenging the play-offs at either end.

On 04/08/2022 at 14:56, Kyle Reese said:

It’s nauseating. Thankfully the other wee diddy sook up club from up their way has returned to their natural position, in the division below.

No longer have to read comments like: “I like you Hibs, but… “ from borehemoth old twats like that boy with Jesus in his avatar. 😄

Down with an email..

We sent you down with an email..

Down with an eeeemail.

On 03/08/2022 at 08:39, Theyellowbox said:

I've always thought this too. Aside from ICT and County, they are the ones I'd have pegged for being most successful, probably being championship, league one yo yo club and it just doesn't seem to have worked that well for them.

It's all there, decent ground, not bad crowds and a big enough town to come from. If successful plenty of space around ground to develop too. 

Is it poor choices of managers, lack of ambition or something else?

Elgin's eventual entry into the Big Time just came too late and they've never caught up. A monster of a club from the mid-1950's into the 70's, they missed what was effectively their greatest window of opportunity to progress at that time. They were sniffing about the league at the time Ross County were elected and Inverness were shat into existence, but the lingering smell of disgrace from 1992/93 scuppered any real chance.

Following that, they just dicked about in the Highland League until such time as finances all but dictated they had to be involved in the election proceedings at the end of 1999 in order to give the club focus, which saw them shoved into the SFL the following season. Sentiment towards them across the wider Moray area - never that pleasant at the best of times - was burst completely by the occasional remark that people in Moray would unite behind the club, an idea that caused as much resentment as Elgin's continued post-war success. 

They've sorted their shit out in recent years, but spent too long in doing so, essentially missing their window of opportunity once again, having to sit and watch on as Inverness, Ross County, Peterhead, and others reached various heights, either through doping or dumb luck, the former of which Elgin are without and the latter they just can't seem to stumble across. Landing in a league with New Rangers for a season didn't even pay off, as they printed and sold forty thoosan tickets for the televised home game against them, causing it to be postponed. Rubes :lol:

Now the pyramid is a thing, the window of opportunity is wide open but not for Elgin; instead, they're the Albion/Berwick/Cowdenbeath/Shire-sized target for others coming up, much as Elgin thought those clubs would be (and TBH, should have been) for them nearly quarter of a century ago. 

Everything is indeed there for Elgin to succeed - they just haven't. I'm not really one for superstitions, but I am more inclined than ever to believe the club is cursed.

Edited by Jimmy Shaker