Scottish football's losers in 10 years

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

TBF, there might be more replies to this if the thread wasn't in the Premiership forum.

Ha. Hard to tell which bit of the forum it's in on my view.  St Johnstone fans might remember this question and get back to me in five years time. 

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I do fear for Elgin this season 

Going back to the HL would be an absolute disaster for that club 

Elgin would feel no more at home the Highland League than they would if they were parachuted into the Lowland. Despite being a closed shop almost since Elgin left, it's now full of clubs Elgin will look at and wonder what the f**k has happened. None of Inverurie, Turriff, Banks O' Dee, Strathspey, Brechin or Formartine were about, and some clubs that were historically shite for a lot of Elgin's time - Brora and Rothes, with occasional appearances by the likes of Nairn - are now infesting the top half of the table. And that's before we get to the decline of the likes of Vale, Keith and Huntly, the latter of which Elgin will remember as a big deal before election to the SFL. 

I dunno if Elgin fans pay the league any attention but for older viewers it's certainly not going to be a case of 'going BACK to the Highland League' because how it is now bears very little resemblance to what it was when they left. Going to be a hoot if they end up relegated into it. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dundee United.

Mr Ogren will call in all his nigh on £10m in loans and Dundee United will have to sell Tannadice and move into Dundee's new stadium before going part time.

#PaveTannadiceToPutUpAParkingLot.

This has potential, but the main stumbling block would be the likelihood of Dundee's new stadium being ready in 10 years time.

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Queens Park - WoSFL - 5 years too late to tap into the last great wilderness of Glasgows southside. Pollok and EK will supercede them.

Queen's Park are doing well just now and seem to have good financial backing with Dempster running them. I'd say there's more chance of them becoming a Southside hipster club on the level of Partick Thistle than Pollok or EK managing to make a Cove style leap without a sugar daddy.

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

the famously  massive conspiracy to stop Celtic winning things has been really shit at it’s job thus far

maybe the next decade will be when it finally gets it’s act together 

They spent too much time trying to relegate hearts that they took their eye off the ball with Celtic. 

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

FC Edinburgh - dead/EoSFL - got a jump ahead but now teams with real supports and money in the East are coming and they will get squeezed out. In the same way as Berwick used to be well placed for any people in the East who wanted to play league football there will be so many more attractive options

But... but... but... Don't you know they've changed the name to attract a crowd of those intimated by the atmosphere at Easter Road and Tynecastle...

Personally I'd be perfectly happy to be back in the East of Scotland League, being properly called Edinburgh City, and the spivs cleared out..

27 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Clyde, for me.

Missed their window to go to EK (as they should have done, obviously, obviously, obviously) and are now back where they were decades ago scrambling around for a home.

This is not a sustainable way to exist as a football club and I think there's cause for concern there.

That was the club that entered my head when I first saw the thread.

However, that was on Saturday morning.

On 30/07/2022 at 16:29, Detournement said:

Queen's Park are doing well just now and seem to have good financial backing with Dempster running them. I'd say there's more chance of them becoming a Southside hipster club on the level of Partick Thistle than Pollok or EK managing to make a Cove style leap without a sugar daddy.

Pollok already get bigger crowds and have a ground.

Pollokshaws Rd is more hipster than Cathcart Rd and Pollok are named after the singer from the Delgados. I know what I would be choosing

On 30/07/2022 at 22:41, tamthebam said:

But... but... but... Don't you know they've changed the name to attract a crowd of those intimated by the atmosphere at Easter Road and Tynecastle...

Personally I'd be perfectly happy to be back in the East of Scotland League, being properly called Edinburgh City, and the spivs cleared out..

What do you mean, r.e. Spivs? Have the changes not been well received with City fans? (There we go, I've implicitly answered my own question!)

On 30/07/2022 at 15:10, Stylish Kid said:

It has to be said, that Elgin City have done a remarkable whole lot of nothing since being admitted to the league. Even moreso than Peterhead 

I've always thought this too. Aside from ICT and County, they are the ones I'd have pegged for being most successful, probably being championship, league one yo yo club and it just doesn't seem to have worked that well for them.

It's all there, decent ground, not bad crowds and a big enough town to come from. If successful plenty of space around ground to develop too. 

Is it poor choices of managers, lack of ambition or something else?

Of the other clubs, Clyde for me jump out as one I don't think will be around in its current form in 10 years. Unless something drastic changes, they will either drop and fold or merge in with someone else and be playing at an amateur/junior stadium somewhere around Glasgow. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

I think you might end up seeing a few surprising sides in about 20-30 years flirting with it. Down south I don’t think anyone mid 90’s would’ve expected to see Stockport, Notts County or Oldham all end up dropping out the league. 

For me, one side to watch out for would be Clyde - no permanent home and part time will eventually cause them issues. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm always glad to hear about our finances from clubs which have themselves always been so well run.

Looking forward to getting tax advice from Rangers too.

Mate, it is precisely because of our troubles a decade ago that I said what I did. It did worry me at the time. As long as the largess of your owners holds up you will be fine, but surely year on year losses in the millions is not sustainable? 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm always glad to hear about our finances from clubs which have themselves always been so well run.

Looking forward to getting tax advice from Rangers too.

When I look at Joel Pereira and use my eyes to deduce that he's a terrible goalkeeper, my also being a terrible goalkeeper does not invalidate that opinion.