Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager 2022/23 Edition

Who will be Motherwell's next permanent manager?   

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Admit it you fucked up! 🤣

Awww bless, and a downvote too.

No you’re right because when anyone thinks of Livi, the plastic pitch is always an afterthought …..

Check the original post you smugly replied to and you’ll see the same row of full stops I’ve just used there.

Back in your box sparky.

19 hours ago, boozyBJ said:

There’s a reason Robinson left. Any talk of him coming back should be a not starter. It’s a lot of bs anyway. Some of the options that are being proposed on here, mainly from non Motherwell fans are quite laughable, obviously posted to garner some sort of outeage and should be taken with a barrow full of salt. I mean, Jim Duffy ffs 😂

I recall he was on sporstound a few weeks after he left , he said he felt he had taken the team as far as he could, and that he wanted time away from the game, good 9n him for saying that too many managers spout the " if I thought I couldn't turn it around id go " speil,  yet how many have you actually heard say that they didn't think they could , so resigned

Posting this in here from our thread, it's been pointed out before but you have to go back to the early 80s for the last time we appointed a manager from another Scottish club.

Broadly speaking there's a profile that has served the club reasonably well in making managerial appointments.

On 02/05/2022 at 12:07, capt_oats said:

Give or take you can generally profile what we look for: 40-50, some experience - likely with 1 or 2 jobs behind them plus coaching, we generally don't make appointments who have managed at other Scottish clubs and I'm pretty sure you have to go back as far as Davies for a former (or current) player.

Of our recent managers Brown and McGhee are really the only ones who don't fit that description in terms of age and experience, although we seemed to go through a phase in the 90s - 00s of giving folk their first management jobs. Understandably we haven't done that since Malpas.

Also AFAIK McGhee's the only manager we've had to have 2 stints in the job.

Since McLean;

(94-98): McLeish -35, Previous club managed; n/a
(98): Kampman - 43, Previous clubs; Reipas (?), MyPa47 (?)
(98-01): Davies - 34, previous club; n/a
(01-02): Black - 39, previous club; n/a
(02-06): Butcher -43, previous clubs; Coventry (33.33%), Sunderland (30.23%)
(06-07): Malpas -43, previous clubs; n/a
(07-09): McGhee - 50, previous clubs; Reading (43.2%), Leicester (31.4%), Wolves (40.9%), Millwall (46.0%), Brighton (28.8%)
(09): Gannon - 40, previous clubs; Dundalk (36.1%), Stockport (43.4%)
(09-10): Brown - 69, previous clubs; Clyde (33.17%), Scotland u21s (43.18%), Scotland (45.07%), Preston (33.96%) 
(10-14): McCall - 46, previous club; Bradford (34.6% win)
(14-15): Baraclough - 44, previous clubs; Scunthorpe (23.5%), Sligo (55.0%) 
(15-17): McGhee - 58, previous clubs; Reading (43.2%), Leicester (31.4%), Wolves (40.9%), Millwall (46.0%), Brighton (28.8%), Motherwell (39.8%), Aberdeen (27.4%), Bristol Rovers (26.7%)
(17-20): Robinson - 42, previous club; Oldham (21.2%)
(21-present): Alexander - 49, previous clubs; Fleetwood (38.6%), Scunthorpe (46.9%), Salford (48.2%)

Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Thomson are the 2 names mentioned previously that stand out for me. Other than them I really struggle to think who it could be.

We couldn't afford his wages but Tony Mowbray was a name I thought of and he is currently out of a job after leaving Blackburn. Everyone knows about his disastrous time at Celtic but his Hibs team were good and I wondered if he'd fancy another crack at Scottish football but as I said it's highly unlikely we'd be able to offer him anything close to what he'd want and I doubt he'll be short of offers from the English lower leagues in the coming months.

Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Thomson are the 2 names mentioned previously that stand out for me. Other than them I really struggle to think who it could be.
We couldn't afford his wages but Tony Mowbray was a name I thought of and he is currently out of a job after leaving Blackburn. Everyone knows about his disastrous time at Celtic but his Hibs team were good and I wondered if he'd fancy another crack at Scottish football but as I said it's highly unlikely we'd be able to offer him anything close to what he'd want and I doubt he'll be short of offers from the English lower leagues in the coming months.
Why Thomson?

Duncan Ferguson would be interesting, but mainly for the non football stuff, no one knows if he's any good as a manager. I doubt we could afford him, and I assume he'd want the kind of budget we can't manage.

Just now, rowsdower said:

Why Thomson?

Duncan Ferguson would be interesting, but mainly for the non football stuff, no one knows if he's any good as a manager. I doubt we could afford him, and I assume he'd want the kind of budget we can't manage.

Who's going to tell him that he's not going to get whatever budget he wants.

55 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

More chance of Super Leigh player manager.  

Who have you heard any rumours as to who is on the shortlist?

Edited by Girth