Seriously? "Warm Banks"?

39 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I've actually been thinking that spending longer in the gym or going for a pint during the week to watch the football will be cheaper than being in the house. 

Yeah, I already figured I'll be spending my days off in the local college through February.

From experience, I can last most of the winter without heating, but when it gets bitter you end up shuffling about like a zombie after a while. It's not good for you; I can see how the elderly can just slip away without even realising how it's affecting them.

Just now, BFTD said:

Yeah, I already figured I'll be spending my days off in the local college through February.

From experience, I can last most of the winter without heating, but when it gets bitter you end up shuffling about like a zombie after a while. It's not good for you; I can see how the elderly can just slip away without even realising how it's affecting them.

I lived in a tenement without central heating for more than twenty years. I was sort of used to it, but now realise that having an old dear with a decent pension, who could consequently afford to keep her own place nice and warm,  living below me was greatly beneficial. I may not have survived it otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Big Tory Alec here might have to join them. God knows how he’s going to cope.

There's a reply pointing out that he claimed almost £200,000 in expenses in 2021.

It's hard for us to comprehend, but they've no concept of what it means to be unable to afford to pay a domestic bill, which is why you occasionally get offhand statements about how people can just get a loan if they're a bit short, or stop wasting so much money on things that aren't essential (maybe have dinner at the Groucho every other night).

I get the impression that a large part of the civil service's work must involve explaining reality to the people whose policies they're meant to implement.

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There's a reply pointing out that he claimed almost £200,000 in expenses in 2021.

It's hard for us to comprehend, but they've no concept of what it means to be unable to afford to pay a domestic bill, which is why you occasionally get offhand statements about how people can just get a loan if they're a bit short, or stop wasting so much money on things that aren't essential (maybe have dinner at the Groucho every other night).

I get the impression that a large part of the civil service's work must involve explaining reality to the people whose policies they're meant to implement.

Not defending the guy, but these expenses generally are for paying for a constituency office and staffing it, as well as travel to and from the constituency to parliament. These are legit expenses for an MP. 

As we saw in ~2009 though they are all scumbags on the take.. Flipping first/second homes, claiming for everything - how do they even justify a food allowance on top of their salary? 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Not defending the guy, but these expenses generally are for paying for a constituency office and staffing it, as well as travel to and from the constituency to parliament. These are legit expenses for an MP. 

As we saw in ~2009 though they are all scumbags on the take.. Flipping first/second homes, claiming for everything - how do they even justify a food allowance on top of their salary? 

TBF, because they're allowed to. You can't really blame them for taking something that's offered. Plenty of people would.

The rapacious manner in which they clutch at public money like a drowning man grabbing a lifebuoy does speak volumes about their priorities, however. The idea that "public service" in any way hinders their careers is hilarious.

The thing is Scotland will get the brunt of the winter weather so it will be ignored by the tories till a cm of snow dusts London. There was a blind guy on LBC saying he'll be spending the winter in the local bookies. What the fucks it come to when people with disabilities have to leave their homes in the depth of winter so as not freeze to death. There will be places to be warm but it will be from buildings and barricades burning. A winter of discontent is a definite.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

TBF, because they're allowed to. You can't really blame them for taking something that's offered. Plenty of people would.

The rapacious manner in which they clutch at public money like a drowning man grabbing a lifebuoy does speak volumes about their priorities, however. The idea that "public service" in any way hinders their careers is hilarious.

You can blame them as they make the rules 

See Tax avoidance as another example 

We really need to get to the bottom of the expenses that these MPs and MSPs are claiming.

Fine if they are supporting offices, staff and travel (not first class either)

But other expenses such as Sky Tv, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Home Broadband, and fucking duck ponds can get tae fcuk. 

Every last one of them should be heavily scrutinised and called out for expenses that are clearly taking the piss.

I don’t care what political party they belong to. 

Name and shame them.