House of the Dragon

IrishBhoy

3 hours ago, Stringer Bell said:

Pretty slow episode I thought, but I guess it was required to manoeuvre some peices into place. I think big Criston Cole looks like a good bit of casting, hopefully they get Breakbones right too. They might be doing 1 episode = 6-12 months, which would work out around 24 episodes, 3 seasons of 8 ?

Prince Daemon v The Crabfeeder next.

There's 10 episodes in the first series at least.

On 29/08/2022 at 14:47, Rodhull said:

Aye it was pretty grim. With the wig on she just looked like a wee doll compared to the obviously middle aged man she was being matched up to.

Interesting how they've changed the ages of most of the young women in the show from the books. Rhaeneyra is only about 8 in the books I think at this point, the Valeryon girl is about 5 years older so not too far off her age in the show and Allicent is a few years older than that and so is almost 10 years older than Rhaeneyra rather than the same age as the show implies.

Not that I'm especially bothered about it, just found it interesting especially as they're doing time jumps later in the series anyway?

I thought it was a bit strange that they seem to have aged the characters in the opposite direction from the books from what you would expect. In the book Alicent is mid 20s and Viserys is mid 30s, so a marriage between them wouldn’t be so unbelievable. The only reason I can think they have aged Rhaenyra up and Alicent down is to play on their friendship in these opening episodes, in order to build a narrative for what is to come. 

On 30/08/2022 at 10:13, Detournement said:

Guys. Imagine we made a new Game Of Thrones show entirely about the small council. 

Great. 

It’s the second episode of the opening season mate, calm down. 

Showing scenes from the small council in these early episodes has been a great way for the viewer to learn about the perceived status’ of some main characters that are completely new to them. From these scenes we’ve gathered that Viserys is a weak ruler, Otto is a loyal servant to the crown but scheming in the background, Daemon doesn’t respect his brothers title etc etc. These first few episodes will be setting up future narratives in the exact same way GoT did, and what the majority of TV series’ do when they have many characters and story lines to deal with. 

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Todays episode was outstanding.

Anyone else notice that Viserys is carrying the Valyrian steel dagger that’s used to attack Bran, that Arya later kills the night king with? 

Did he not hand it to his daughter in the first episode as well? When he was telling her the story that needs to be passed down to every new heir to the throne I think it was.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

I know Crabfeeder guy was just made to look really cool, but isn't greyscale meant to be a highly infectious disease?

If i'm one of his many troops huddled in a cave with him. I'd probably be killing him off and finding a new leader.

Crabfeeder got absolutely done over. Got all the buld up then hides in a cave and killed off screen.

And how were the guys hiding in caves on a desolate island winning the war? Surely if they are stuck they aren't harassing passing ships and the problem is mostly solved. Burn their ships and leave them stranded.

Daemon taking on a full army himself is probably the final straw for me. From the show that brought you The Battle Of The b*****ds. Sad. 

The stuff with the stag was like a Lost B plot when a couple of characters wandered off into the jungle, something weird would happen then it would never be mentioned again. 

14 hours ago, Elixir said:

It's extremely entertaining viewing if you're not a contrarian bore. Already doing a good job of fleshing out the Game of Thrones world.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Daemon taking on a full army himself is probably the final straw for me. From the show that brought you The Battle Of The b*****ds. Sad. 

The stuff with the stag was like a Lost B plot when a couple of characters wandered off into the jungle, something weird would happen then it would never be mentioned again. 

^^^ yup

Think it's fine, enjoy chucking it on on a Monday evening. Considine is great, interiors are nice, some decent dialogue and most of the characters have a bit to be interested in. They're already botching set pieces though and the dragons seem to have taken up so much of the VFX budget that any wide CGI shot looks like it was rendered on a PS3.

Hopeful it'll continue to be an entertaining Monday night show but don't think anyone will be talking about it once it finishes. Regardless, acting like a Marvel fanboy about a three episode-old dragon show is very funny

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I was hoping it would be similar to the good GoT seasons but it feels very generic.

Can anything compare to the first four seasons of Game of Thrones, though? It's a near impossible bar for anything to match, let alone a 'spin-off'.

It's enjoyable for what it is. Characters like Rhaenyra and Daemon will probably end up being pretty memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the issue with the crabfeeder was in the set up. What he effectively had was a gang that was causing carnage. They set it up like they had to go to war with him when really it just needed someone to overcome a small, well dug in squad of bams.

In general though, Daemon is the standout so far for me.