House of the Dragon

IrishBhoy

9 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And lazy. Seems like the showrunners had had enough and just wanted to end it. they should have moved on and brought new ones in.

Aye, I read that Martin said he gave them enough plot lines and content for 11-12 seasons.

I watched it and enjoyed it. I know it's a ridiculously expensive show, but in some ways it felt a little low budget compared to GoT. Maybe because it was all held in King's Landing? That, and the CGI on the dragons wasn't up to much.

But the highlight is surely Matt Smith doing a proper turn as a baddie - that is where the excitement is generated from. A bit surprising as I had thought Paddy Considine would have been in to do a similar job (remembering how utterly chilling he was in Peaky Blinders).

Really thought I was watching an episode of Monkee! at the start and that someone was about to whistle on the dragon. Really enjoyable show. Was apprehensive that it would be dull as the trailer made it look so serious but it was much more camp and debauchery-filled like early GoT.

Rhaenyra dishing out the telts to Daemon was my highlight of the second episode. Paddy Considine doesn't look like he should be starting any long books and when he pegs it, shit's going to hit the fan big time.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The wee girl giving a speech as to why Vis should marry her was horrific.

Aye it was pretty grim. With the wig on she just looked like a wee doll compared to the obviously middle aged man she was being matched up to.

Interesting how they've changed the ages of most of the young women in the show from the books. Rhaeneyra is only about 8 in the books I think at this point, the Valeryon girl is about 5 years older so not too far off her age in the show and Allicent is a few years older than that and so is almost 10 years older than Rhaeneyra rather than the same age as the show implies.

Not that I'm especially bothered about it, just found it interesting especially as they're doing time jumps later in the series anyway?

Thought it was a very slow episode. And I didn't see much manouvering. Everyone was open and quite confrontational about what they doing.

The episode plot can be boiled down to Viserys picks which underage girl to marry, Daemon provokes Viserys and Rhaenyra intervenes.

Far too many scenes on sets sitting around tables saying nothing important. Only Rhaenys and Rhaenyra was quality dialogue. Definite tension on the Dragonstone scene but not exactly well written imo. Far too much captioning.

The world feels so empty. There are barely any characters and even when they had a bunch of knights on screen none of them spoke. On the HBO website they list 18 characters. 2 are already dead and the only other people I recall with a line are the joust announcer and the guy who wanted to cauterise Viserys wound. Game of Thrones had about double that in 2 episodes then introduced another 10+ characters in episode 3.

And the two things they had as twists near the end. Picking Alicent and Corlys talking to Daemon felt obvious. And I guess the only reason they had the crab guy was to hit a violence quota.

Pretty slow episode I thought, but I guess it was required to manoeuvre some peices into place. I think big Criston Cole looks like a good bit of casting, hopefully they get Breakbones right too. They might be doing 1 episode = 6-12 months, which would work out around 24 episodes, 3 seasons of 8 ?

Prince Daemon v The Crabfeeder next.