2022 Commonwealth Games - Birmingham

The Naitch

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'll not be bothering with the opening ceremony when Australia host it if this is what we have to look forward to. Fucking Hell.

The only Cats are in Geelong.😉

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Sad it's over. Give us the Olympics, please.

Thought the last couple of Olympics were shite due to time differences. I quite like the commonwealth games, it's like the challenge cup for folk who get 4 or 5th in the semis in the athletics to pick up a trinket.

3 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Nae Moody Blues or ELO or Led Zep?

Aye, I know they're mostly defunct or deid.

ELO has been playing pretty much non-stop throughout the competition and Led Zeppelin were featured in the Closing Ceremony, albeit only in recorded form. I don't think there was any Moody Blues but may have missed it.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of weeks all round, there’s been some brilliant sport to watch plus the crowds have been fantastic. Much shorter notice to plan the event, (stepping in after Durban pulled out) and with all the hassle of C19 to contend with, the organisers and competitors have put on a terrific show. Congrats to everyone involved. 👏

I think the biggest problem for the Commonwealth Games moving forward is going to be finding cities willing to host it. They surely can't keep bouncing between the UK and Australia forever.
Hamilton, Ontario seem to be favourite to host the 2030 games.

Noticed the 2026 edition will be held in March.

It's obviously an expensive business to host a games, even if you already have the majority of the facilities in place. Birmingham made the right call with things like the cycling by using the London velodrome. Talk on the radio this morning of a potential bid to host the 2040 Olympics.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Hamilton, Ontario seem to be favourite to host the 2030 games.

Noticed the 2026 edition will be held in March.

It's obviously an expensive business to host a games, even if you already have the majority of the facilities in place. Birmingham made the right call with things like the cycling by using the London velodrome. Talk on the radio this morning of a potential bid to host the 2040 Olympics.

Think they said on the news yesterday it cost about £800m for Birmingham to host the games.  Seems cheap to me but I don't think they had to build much in the way of new venues like London did for their £9.3bn