Perthshire League 2022-23

mcruic

Last season finished with a set up of 7-10.  Up to a healthier 10-11 this season (was going to be 10-12, but Letham Colts decided to take a year out).

Division 1

Breadalbane
Burrelton Rovers
Jeanfield Swifts Amateurs
Luncarty Amateurs
Kettins (champions)
Vale of Earn
Letham Community
Fair City (1st Division 2 - promoted)
Alyth (2nd Division 2 - promoted)
Rattray (3rd Division 2 - promoted)

Division 2
Auchterarder Primrose
Ballinluig
Stanley
Balmoral United
Wolfhill
Vale of Atholl (pulled out during 21-22 Division 2 season)
Kinrossie Caledonian (pulled out during 21-22 Division 2 season)
Bridgeton United (pulled out during 21-22 Division 1 season - demoted)
Saint John's (back, after a year out - one of the best teams in Perthshire when they took time out)
Abernethy (back after several years out)
FC Romania (new club from Blairgowrie)

Letham Colts are taking a year out

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2022 at 13:33, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Primrose had an extremely thorough pre-season and look in great shape fitness-wise. They had an excellent league cup group stage, but lost (surprisingly) to Balmoral United in the league. Hoping for a good season.

That division is a dreadful standard this year. If there’s only two going up and no one folds, I’d expect maybe St Johns and Stanley to be promoted. Auchterarder probably third.

On 10/09/2022 at 12:14, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That division is a dreadful standard this year. If there’s only two going up and no one folds, I’d expect maybe St Johns and Stanley to be promoted. Auchterarder probably third.

St John's have a very young manager in Michael McKenzie (24) who was playing and helping with the coaching at Leven United last season and is ex Newbugh and Glenrothes Juniors but I believe had to step back from playing with injuries this year and is concentrating on getting St John's back on their feet and I think he has Lee Kelman from Jeanfield AFC in as an experienced head with him. He also rakes the U16s at St. Johnstone and previously did the Regional Development Centres at Rangers so very much could be an audition for a junior or better senior job for him. They've taken 6/7 boys from the Jeanfield side that finished 2nd in the Premier and a few lads off of Letham but their a work win progress. No players that played for the St Johns team that won the league in 2020 are still their and McKenzie's brought in a few extra North Fifers from Strathmiglo, Kinross and Fossoway. 

Sranley pumped them in the League Cup but apparently St Johns fell to bits after a few mistakes but seem to have learned from them as they beat Stanley 3-2 on the opening day but believe St Johns still feel Stanley are the favourites.. Saying that St Johns went and played Midlands AFA champions Broughty in the First Round of the Scottish and got a 2-2 draw.  Primrose looking good as well but avery young squad and were pout to the sword by St Johns who beat them 5-1 in pre season. Bridgeton also look organised and stuffy and Balmoral joint top with St Johns after 2 games. 

• 7 months later...

First Final of the Season saw (2nd Div 1) Jeanfield Swifts run out 3-2 winners against St Johns (1st Div 2) in the P&D Cup. 

Vale of Earn haven't dropped points yet in Div 1 although Kettins and Jeanfield waiting on any mistake. Luncarty & Fair City have both fallen into abeyance so no relegation from Div 1.

St Johns top of Div 2 and will be champions if they win their remaining games. Wolfhill, Stanley & Balmoral can all capitalise on any error and are all pushing hard for promotion. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/04/2023 at 11:55, WestHibee said:

First Final of the Season saw (2nd Div 1) Jeanfield Swifts run out 3-2 winners against St Johns (1st Div 2) in the P&D Cup. 

Vale of Earn haven't dropped points yet in Div 1 although Kettins and Jeanfield waiting on any mistake. Luncarty & Fair City have both fallen into abeyance so no relegation from Div 1.

St Johns top of Div 2 and will be champions if they win their remaining games. Wolfhill, Stanley & Balmoral can all capitalise on any error and are all pushing hard for promotion. 

VoE win the league for the first time in their history. 

With the two teams in abeyance does this mean only two go up from the second? Letham CC to stay up despite losing every match? If that’s the case it looks like a straight shoot out between Balmoral & Stanley for the second promotion spot. 

It looks like there’s a new team entering the league system in ‘Methven AFC’. Heard of any other potential new sides?

21 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

VoE win the league for the first time in their history. 

With the two teams in abeyance does this mean only two go up from the second? Letham CC to stay up despite losing every match? If that’s the case it looks like a straight shoot out between Balmoral & Stanley for the second promotion spot. 

It looks like there’s a new team entering the league system in ‘Methven AFC’. Heard of any other potential new sides?

St Johns wrapped up the Div Two title on Tuesday against Balmoral. As far as I am aware it's the abeyance sides Luncarty & Fair City going down with Letham CC staying up despite having no points although they're not as bad as they suggest and had a couple of decent cup runs. Wheels have fallen off at Stanley so would assume it'll be Balmoral but Wolfhill and Ballinluig look like they'll finish just shirt along with Bridgeton who finally clicked after Christmas. 

Two new teams going into next year, Perth City & Methven Athletic so looking like it'll be 10-13 split. or 10-14/15 if Fair City or Luncarty return. May even see it go 12-13/12-12. 

1 hour ago, WestHibee said:

St Johns wrapped up the Div Two title on Tuesday against Balmoral. As far as I am aware it's the abeyance sides Luncarty & Fair City going down with Letham CC staying up despite having no points although they're not as bad as they suggest and had a couple of decent cup runs. Wheels have fallen off at Stanley so would assume it'll be Balmoral but Wolfhill and Ballinluig look like they'll finish just shirt along with Bridgeton who finally clicked after Christmas. 

Two new teams going into next year, Perth City & Methven Athletic so looking like it'll be 10-13 split. or 10-14/15 if Fair City or Luncarty return. May even see it go 12-13/12-12

Cheers, good to see some new teams entering the league. Would definitely be better with two leagues of 12 if possible. Hopefully the teams down the bottom of the second like VoA & Abernethy keep at it.

I don’t think second is a foregone conclusion for Balmoral as they have a couple of tough games and are three points behind.

Letham are a young side, it’ll be good to see them stick together and hopefully progress next season. 

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Cheers, good to see some new teams entering the league. Would definitely be better with two leagues of 12 if possible. Hopefully the teams down the bottom of the second like VoA & Abernethy keep at it.

I don’t think second is a foregone conclusion for Balmoral as they have a couple of tough games and are three points behind.

Letham are a young side, it’ll be good to see them stick together and hopefully progress next season. 

Everyone under St Johns have cut each others throats. Bridgeton, Balmoral, Stanley, Wolfhill, Auchterarder, Ballinluig all good sides and would be capable of jumping up

Only two(ish) divisions?? Teams coming and going regularly? What's happened to all the teams? Do young lads no want to play football on a Saturday anymore? I guess not :( 

I remember the four divisions when this was all fields (yes, I'm old) :) 

Guildtown, Killin, Grandtully, Blair Atholl, Comrie, Strathmore, Coupar Angus, Glenfarg, Perth Royale, Fairfield, Murray Royal, Vale of Atholl, Bridge of Earn, Pitcairn Green, Newtyle................Those are the ones I can remember. I've likely forgotten a few.

I think there was a Blairgowrie team as well as Rattray and a Crieff team as well as Vale 🤔 

Great times ;) 

5 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Only two(ish) divisions?? Teams coming and going regularly? What's happened to all the teams? Do young lads no want to play football on a Saturday anymore? I guess not :( 

I remember the four divisions when this was all fields (yes, I'm old) :) 

Guildtown, Killin, Grandtully, Blair Atholl, Comrie, Strathmore, Coupar Angus, Glenfarg, Perth Royale, Fairfield, Murray Royal, Vale of Atholl, Bridge of Earn, Pitcairn Green, Newtyle................Those are the ones I can remember. I've likely forgotten a few.

I think there was a Blairgowrie team as well as Rattray and a Crieff team as well as Vale 🤔 

Great times ;) 

Yeah it’s a big shame, but amateur football is struggling in most regions. There’s also been a lack of refs in Perthshire. I don’t see any way back to the peak days of four divisions - there are too many other competing pursuits & it takes a lot of effort to organise a club and maintain a pitch which many people aren’t as willing to do anymore. A lot of the pitches of the clubs you highlighted simply aren’t in a usable state anymore, such as Murray Royal. A move to Saturday mornings might help somewhat, with more council maintained/provided pitches. 

Of the teams you mention, Bridge of Earn have moved to Fife, Vale of Atholl are still kicking about but having difficulty fielding a team, Wolfhill now play in Guildtown, but the rest are all gone. 

Strathearn Grove were the other Crieff team & there’s Balmoral & FC Romania in Blair still.

• 2 months later...

Looks like there will be 9 teams in div 1 & 12 in div 2 for the start of the 23/24 season. I reckon they should’ve just bumped Stanley up to make it a 10/11 split which would’ve made more sense.

Rattray & Ballinluig into abeyance, with Luncarty returning & three new teams joining - Kinnoull Reds, Methven & Pitfour. The standard of that division 2 looks to be even worse than last year.

8 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The standard of that division 2 looks to be even worse than last year.

Linking this with the Dunoon thread and this issue pops up again…

What standard do people expect for the bottom amateur division?

Back when leagues had loads of teams and divisions, hackers (like me) who were sh!t but wanted to play, could find their level. Now people won’t play for “shite” teams and they just get destroyed, fold and disappear.

What exactly do people want!?

16 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Linking this with the Dunoon thread and this issue pops up again…

What standard do people expect for the bottom amateur division?

Back when leagues had loads of teams and divisions, hackers (like me) who were sh!t but wanted to play, could find their level. Now people won’t play for “shite” teams and they just get destroyed, fold and disappear.

What exactly do people want!?

The more teams the better. It was just an observation that the standard of that league has deteriorated considerably even compared to last year. Always a good thing that guys are out playing regardless though.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, perthshire footy fan said:

1Breadalbane

2vale of earn 

3 Burrelton ?

second division,

luncarty 

stanley

?

any teams that might shock a few ? 

I think Kettins will finish second in the first. In the second I think Stanley will win it. Honestly aside from Breadalbane winning the league I can’t see any other big shocks tbh!

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I think Kettins will finish second in the first. In the second I think Stanley will win it. Honestly aside from Breadalbane winning the league I can’t see any other big shocks tbh!

Fc Romania finished strong last season will be interesting to see what they do this season , kinrossie has folded which is a shame to loose another team . Watched breadalbane twice now , look really good