Celtic (1994) v The Famous Aberdeen

Not sure there was too much to conclude from that game that wasn't already known/expected.

Celtic have been known to dish out 6 or 7 goal scuddings on these flag day occasions at the start/end of season, and I think when our team let a centre-half get his bonce on a corner for a basic goal after a couple of mins, then it was hard not to fear that could happen, with the consequence that a lot of the early season optimism is binned.

Polvara is 6ft 4 and should be competing for that.  He, along with the rest of the side, were all over the place early on, but most of them settled down following the somewhat fortunate lack of conceding another in the first half hour.

The second half was actually a bigger disappointment, as with the stagefright out of the system on the back of an encouraging 15mins, the team went back into their shell - possibly with the plan to stay in the game for a late flurry.  Another Polvara error and a great strike was the undoing, but the second goal was probably always coming.

Ultimately none of our players covered themselves in glory, nor did any of them look hopeless lost causes either.  Neither the diddy groups or Celtic away will define this stage of the Goodwin era, but the upcoming set of league games ahead of the next international break most certainly will. 

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

I think they wait for the nod from sky to tell them they’re ready to go. 

Sky spent two minutes extensively covering the greatest fans in the world singing a Liverpool FC song, so they were ready to go long before all the scarves came down.

26 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

A song was played over the speakers whilst the players walked about stretching/knocking balls about like they do before every game. 

Not sure how many games to have been to, but the routine us that the teams come out, toss the coin, line up and then kick off. No stretching or knocking balls about since the 90s.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Sky spent two minutes extensively covering the greatest fans in the world singing a Liverpool FC song, so they were ready to go long before all the scarves came down.

Can’t believe you’re actually serious about this, what an absolute  embarrassment. Many games have kicked off during that song, the song has nothing to do with when the ref blows his whistle. 

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Can’t believe you’re actually serious about this, what an absolute  embarrassment. Many games have kicked off during that song, the song has nothing to do with when the ref blows his whistle. 

It did yesterday. Were you actually watching? You’re right, I’ve been at loads of games at Celtic Park when it starts in the middle of the playing of You’ll Never Walk Alone, but yesterday the referee waited until the song was finished. Even my wife, who doesn’t take too much interest, was asking me why the game wasn’t starting .

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It did yesterday. Were you actually watching? You’re right, I’ve been at loads of games at Celtic Park when it starts in the middle of the playing of You’ll Never Walk Alone, but yesterday the referee waited until the song was finished. Even my wife, who doesn’t take too much interest, was asking me why the game wasn’t starting .

Get her to write a strongly worded email to Sky Sports. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Get her to write a strongly worded email to Sky Sports. 

Why do you guys always have to get so uppity when there is the slightest criticism of your club, and in this instance it may have been nothing to do with Celtic. It is not up for debate that the referee waited until the song was finished before starting the match it is a fact, and my initial point was why it was deemed necessary to do that and keep the teams waiting for kick off.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Why do you guys always have to get so uppity when there is the slightest criticism of your club, and in this instance it may have been nothing to do with Celtic. It is not up for debate that the referee waited until the song was finished before starting the match it is a fact, and my initial point was why it was deemed necessary to do that and keep the teams waiting for kick off.

It kicked off bang on time, if you want to criticise anyone it should be your own team for coming out 10 mins early to give a guard of honour and watch the flag go up. 

say what you like about the **** but there is no way they would’ve been out on the pitch til a couple of mins before kick off. 

Edited by Drew Brees

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

It kicked off bang on time, if you want to criticise anyone it should be your own team for coming out 10 mins early to give a guard of honour and watch the flag go up. 

say what you like about the **** but there is no way they would’ve been out on the pitch til a couple of mins before kick off. 

You're always wronged, of course it's Aberdeen's fault. Silly me. New season, same stance.

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Why do you think?

13 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

There would have been some f****** whining if we hadn't...

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You're always wronged, of course it's Aberdeen's fault. Silly me. New season, same stance.

Who’s wronged?? 

This weeks ‘riddy fae a diddy’ award goes to king(and queen) joey for complaining that a game scheduled to kick off at 4:30 actually kicked off at 4:30. A new low imo. 

29 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Who’s wronged?? 

This weeks ‘riddy fae a diddy’ award goes to king(and queen) joey for complaining that a game scheduled to kick off at 4:30 actually kicked off at 4:30. A new low imo. 

I accept your apology, and my wife will delighted to have the title “queen”.

47 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

By the way, you actually think that Aberdeen voluntarily went out on to the pitch at that time? I think you’ll find that teams go out on to the pitch before the start of a game at the behest of the referee.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

There would have been some f****** whining if we hadn't...

Not from me there wouldn't, this PC nonsense of applauding opponents onto the pitch when they've won something should be fucking binned, like those who berate you if you don't support your rivals in a big final, I celebrated wildly when England lost the penalties to Italy last summer and did likewise when the **** lost out to Eintracht Frankfurt.... football is tribal, sure you can acknowledge a team winning a title and cup etc and congratulate them and all that at boardroom and management level but this 'guard of honour' pish is cringeworthy. 

Right up there with half and half scarves in the English tourist league and kids holding up signs asking for players shirts, get it so far to f**k. 

Edited by Flybhoy

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Just while I remember, imagine getting all pissed off because the referee blew the whistle to start a match at the conclusion of a song being played over the PA and not midway through it....🤦‍♂️😂

Riddy behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Just while I remember, imagine getting all pissed off because the referee blew the whistle to start a match at the conclusion of a song being played over the PA and not midway through it....🤦‍♂️😂

Are you suggesting that Celtic's PA announcer is actually in charge of kick-off times in the SPFL?