The Cost of Football today

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's good to read. There was a time when clubs were experimenting with that and said they'd lost money as a result.

Outside of the top division - for obvious reasons - could clubs in each league agree to a sensible maximum budget for playing staff to bring down costs? Would that be construed as an attempt to bring back a maximum wage? I can think of plenty of reasons why everybody wouldn't agree to it, or would only agree if it was pointlessly high, but would it be legal? Are players even earning enough to make it worthwhile in the lower divisions?

Was there ever a maximum wage in Scotland? The notorious £20 limit was  a Football League rule.

4 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Was there ever a maximum wage in Scotland? The notorious £20 limit was  a Football League rule.

Good point; the answer appears to be no, from a brief Google.

I did find this discussion, featuring a couple of familiar names: http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5056

20 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's good to read. There was a time when clubs were experimenting with that and said they'd lost money as a result.

Outside of the top division - for obvious reasons - could clubs in each league agree to a sensible maximum budget for playing staff to bring down costs? Would that be construed as an attempt to bring back a maximum wage? I can think of plenty of reasons why everybody wouldn't agree to it, or would only agree if it was pointlessly high, but would it be legal? Are players even earning enough to make it worthwhile in the lower divisions?

Do you mean are wage caps/structures legal?

Sorry if you don't but if you do then this comes up a lot. There are wage caps in UK sport right now in rugby league and union, they surely work under the same worker rights as footballers?

La Liga has introduced it's own wage structure that will not allow clubs to spend more than a certain limit (I know that Barca are taking the piss with it).

Football is not immune to bringing in a wage structure it just chooses not too and usually always only for the benefit of a very few select clubs in each league or country.

Wages are what distorts the game more than anything else.

And for the purpose of this thread are we paying good serious money for entry fees to watch players who in other countries would be glorified amateurs?

Anyone know the prices for a semi pro game in other countries around Europe for comparison?

6 hours ago, ahemps said:

Do you mean are wage caps/structures legal?

Sorry if you don't but if you do then this comes up a lot. There are wage caps in UK sport right now in rugby league and union, they surely work under the same worker rights as footballers?

La Liga has introduced it's own wage structure that will not allow clubs to spend more than a certain limit (I know that Barca are taking the piss with it).

Football is not immune to bringing in a wage structure it just chooses not too and usually always only for the benefit of a very few select clubs in each league or country.

Wages are what distorts the game more than anything else.

And for the purpose of this thread are we paying good serious money for entry fees to watch players who in other countries would be glorified amateurs?

Anyone know the prices for a semi pro game in other countries around Europe for comparison?

Aye, I had a feeling it might be doable - I'd forgotten about the rugby cap.

I'm not really keen on the idea, as I don't get the impression that anybody's making a fortune outside the Premiership anyway, and there probably wouldn't be a lot of scope for a worthwhile cap in the lower leagues without teams getting close to the infamous East Stirlingshire model of the 2000s.

Maybe lower-league football's like vinyl - not many of us still interested, and we'll just have to pay through the nose if we want it to keep it going  :shutup

ClibsI've been banging on for years clubs just see fans as cash cows, they have no interest in anything else other than taking every penny they can from supporters.

The idea of moving games forward an hour is a good one , but there is a rule in football I'm told where a game can't have floodlights turned on during a game they have to be on before it starts or not at all, how ludicrous is that? 

I was a two league cup games in July and both had flood lights on ,ffs, a summers evening, even on the 45 min drive home after I didn't need headlights .

Also I'd like to see clubs help fans by not changing replica jersey every year , why not the old model, home and away change every alternate year.

Look the SPL were the start of this greed and self interest a cartel set up to protect its membership,  

I once saw a figure that in the last season before the cartel was formed the combined debt of top division clubs was just over £1 million, that's combined debt, 

The debts spiralled upon the cartel coming into existence.

I'm afraid fans only have themselves to blame, they keep coming back, they keep putting up with clubs ripping them off 

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I had a feeling it might be doable - I'd forgotten about the rugby cap.

I'm not really keen on the idea, as I don't get the impression that anybody's making a fortune outside the Premiership anyway, and there probably wouldn't be a lot of scope for a worthwhile cap in the lower leagues without teams getting close to the infamous East Stirlingshire model of the 2000s.

Maybe lower-league football's like vinyl - not many of us still interested, and we'll just have to pay through the nose if we want it to keep it going  :shutup

Lower leagues tend to be a lot more competitive anyway so are not in need of much change (obviously promotion plays a huge factor in that by removing 'the bigger sides') If you look at the championship in both Scotland and England the favourites don't always win the league and the gaps at the top are not comparable to the premier divisions.

7 hours ago, Willie adie said:

The idea of moving games forward an hour is a good one , but there is a rule in football I'm told where a game can't have floodlights turned on during a game they have to be on before it starts or not at all, how ludicrous is that? 

My understanding is that floodlights need to be on at the start of a period of play. So you can play the first half without lights but if they're likely to be needed before full time they have to be turned on at half time. Same applies to extra time.