Kilmarnock v Dundee United

6 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Just heard the Killie fans mimicking a notorious sectarian song on Sky Sports

If I were a Killie fan I’d be ashamed 

We doing this already? First week of the season? 

Again, like many times before, what's sectarian about it? 

10 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

It is sectarian -  in the narrowest of terms - regarding Ayr United.

The assholes that you are responding to are trying to wind you up with the tired "mini Rangers" crap.

Again.

Good to be back isn't it?

Aye I suppose you're right, we're an easy target when we sing it but I've sang it for 30 years and the lyrics have never had 'Billy' in it as you know. 

There's a worse song than that we need to cut out imo 

7 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Ah. That one.

Quite agree.

It should always have been "black and white" or "dirty" or "piebald" or whatever.

Aye it can easily be changed. Don't get me wrong I did defend it, and kinda still do as the connotation is nothing like what is being sung but still, we don't need to use it and I don't join in with it. 

That's just a personal thing though I certainly don't judge those that do as we all know the actual meaning of the word but nah, times have moved on and for me it should be binned in it's current form

14 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Agree again.

In everything you'll find folk that go "that's the way it's aye been" and shut it down right there.

We know the word has different connotations in different contexts.

But it's not a good look when our games are broadcast outside that context is it?

Also - I used to wonder how players like Simon Ford would feel about it. Why bother explaining when there's so many other synonyms available?

100%....I'm in my 40s and when we had Tish/Mulumbu I kinda checked myself. 

It's an unnecessary term, even though the meaning is a million miles away from how it could be interpreted. Would love it to be phased out.

I take it it's just an Ayrshire phrase?

28 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Depends on how the post-split fixtures work out though doesn't it?

Don't tell me we have to come to Tannadice and get better than a draw to be crowned champions instead of yoose.

Big ask.

It's only fair though. If you win the league because you played us 3 times at Rugby Park it will be a tainted title 

A thoroughly enjoyable game yesterday, and a great thrill to celebrate a well-deserved equaliser at the death. Levitt's goal was a thing of beauty, but the defending that led to it wasn't great. Still, having seen that yesterday I'm reasonably confident that we're going to do alright this season with the likes of Jones back in the team and a couple more quality players. Ash Taylor is getting into the habit of scoring important late goals for us in front of the Moffat Stand, and as far as I'm concerned long may it continue.

Good away support from United, and plenty of good patter with their fans outside the turnstiles. Good show, everyone.

14 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

100%....I'm in my 40s and when we had Tish/Mulumbu I kinda checked myself. 

It's an unnecessary term, even though the meaning is a million miles away from how it could be interpreted. Would love it to be phased out.

I take it it's just an Ayrshire phrase?

14 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

No, it isn't.

In our context it means unwashed - like a miner coming out of a pit perhaps.

Maybe a West Coast thing or even wider - it was certainly used to describe dirty folk quite regularly in and around Glasgow.

"Black and White" makes sense to me.

Has to be hurried a bit to contain the meter, but do-able. Try it.

Growing up in greater Glasgow a version of the phrase was also used there to denote an unclean person. So it's not just an Ayrshire thing. But it does need changed for the reasons stated.