St Mirren v Motherwell 31/07/2022

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t think it was as much of a mugging as your making out there. Kelly made a few really good saves, but it wasn’t like we had you pinned back in your 18 yard box for large spells of the game. Strain and Tanser can throw in as many crosses as they like, but if we don’t have the quality in the box to firstly create the space, and secondly the composure to put the ball in the net, then it doesn’t bode well for the coming season. 

They keep putting these crosses in and getting same result, I hoped for a daisy cutter into the box to see if that makes a difference and just to change it up a bit. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Good.  The wee fannies should be taken round the back for a bleaching. 

Not a massive fan of them as they are Motherwell but they are the best thing to happen to the ‘Well support. Give me a group of lads passionate about their club over a group of old guys berating the players constant.

Ultras Liberi

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Never should have lost that game created so many chances.  Motherwell have a nasty hooligan element following the club. Street behind the away stand . Police should arrest as many as these scum as possible then the club should ban them for life . Saints are starting to have the same problem ban these scum from attending matches before a innocent person gets hurt. 

You are absolutely clueless. Motherwell lad got chucked out for celebrating a goal, not murdering someone.

Enjoyed that - good atmosphere. I think it's a bit of an over-reaction to read much into today's game though - it was a manager-less team away from home (where it's hardly unusual to be dominated by the home team as happened today). There was no new dawn for us but for me, the level of commitment and effort was a notch up from Sligo and we played - ok. There will have been a few full stauners at the fact that we left someone up at a corner for the first time in five years.

Other than the obvious MOTM - I thought Lamie had a great game and KVV put in a better shift today.

Away from the game - St Mirren's tin-pot stewarding operation in full flow yet again today - consistently the worst in the league. Closing a section of seats, resulting in the Bois all standing about in a far less safe position was a total farce. Sending in a fat ginger virgin to cause a riot before half time was some laugh too. If they really thought that the Bois would come in and go and sit in single seats dotted around the stand because the normal bit was shut, they need their heads looked at.

Home to St Johnstone next week is a good chance to build a wee bit more confidence - would be quite happy to see the Hammy/Kerso dream team get one more game.

13 minutes ago, SS77 said:

You are absolutely clueless. Motherwell lad got chucked out for celebrating a goal, not murdering someone.

Assuming he is the one that set off the pyro.

Fair enough not a huge deal but it is against the rules in every stadium. Your hardly going to swig from a whisky bottle in front of the stewards/police so why do that.

Quite a few drinking on the street pre match too, again most folk on here have done that at some point but that's just giving the polis an excuse to lift you, bit more discretion required. There's a reason why this fixture is treated as high risk by the police and stewards.

I spent most of that game thinking St MIrren were the better team and will be absolutely fine this season. Then they brought on Curtis Main to try and find a goal and I realised they might be fucked. 
Main brought an absolute worldly out your keeper. He hasn't kicked a ball pre season so I thought he looked fine.

52 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Not a massive fan of them as they are Motherwell but they are the best thing to happen to the ‘Well support. Give me a group of lads passionate about their club over a group of old guys berating the players constant.

Ultras Liberi

Exactly, these guys from all our clubs bring a bit of colour and passion into the game otherwise we would all be sitting listening to sweetie papers being rustled.

Yeah some of them can be a bit stupid but they are very much in the minority and I put that down to youthful exuberance rather than anything malicious.

Not any worse than when I was a boy in the 70's getting up to all sorts at games.

Edited by santheman

The Motherwell bois look a bit menacing but St Mirren stewards and police get it wrong each time.  I watched at Kilmarnock who put a lone 60 year old female steward in front of them and just let them get on with things.  No trouble at all.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just watching the highlights on Sportscene. Lamie's tackle was a shocker but he was put in a position by Efford giving it away cheaply.

Absolutely - was raging before Lamie even made his tackle - Efford must have had a baseball scholarship as he isn't a football player.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:
It’s time to cut our losses with Main and give Offord a proper opportunity.
Main is just complete dug meat.

Whit ???? He did more in 20m without a pre season than the test did in the previous 70m.

Aye he was way more of a goal threat than Grieve. 

Kelly's save from the free kick was simple enough but that one from the header was ridiculous. Need to see the one from the first half too.

I wonder if our stewards will adopt the same approach when the Union Bears or Green Brigade come to Paisley. They stand in the stadium drinking half bottles of Buckfast 10 feet away from the stewards and police and not a thing is done. The Well Bois and North Bank guys do a good job at getting an atmosphere going. I’m sure they have their fair share of clowns amongst them but at the end of the day they are young guys going to a football game, it’s not afternoon tea at The Ritz. In the grand scheme of things most of these groups are pretty well behaved. Look at the Eastern European ultras or even some of the Scandinavian fan groups, who can cause proper mayhem at the games. As long as they aren’t violent or putting anyone else in danger then let them batter in. 

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Absolutely - was raging before Lamie even made his tackle - Efford must have had a baseball scholarship as he isn't a football player.

People slagging off Main however I would have him at Fir Park ahead of the American ghost….

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Away from the game - St Mirren's tin-pot stewarding operation in full flow yet again today - consistently the worst in the league. Closing a section of seats, resulting in the Bois all standing about in a far less safe position was a total farce. Sending in a fat ginger virgin to cause a riot before half time was some laugh too. If they really thought that the Bois would come in and go and sit in single seats dotted around the stand because the normal bit was shut, they need their heads looked at.

Half the stand was free over at the main stand side, it wasn’t a case of single seats here and there. Well bois are also to blame for that section of the stand being closed off due to what happened last season. 

Saw about 25-30 young lads all in black running past the family stand as we walked back to the car, then a couple of minutes later about 15 cops went running that way. 

Guessing something kicked off?

Smash and grab from Motherwell. Hardly laid a glove on us all game but got the points. 

I would bite your hand off for Kelly. His saves were top drawer. A lesser keeper and the score would have been 3 or 4 to us. 

Hopefully this result will even out during the season. 

Took in the game at the Motherwell end today as I was offered a free ticket by a mate last minute. Must say, I’ve not seen a performance in Scotland from a goalkeeper that’s been as incredible as I seen from Liam Kelly in a long long time. Aye his first half save from point blank range was mental but it seems from my angle that the goal bound header second half looked even more incredible. A literal cheat code and theres no question he was the entire reason Motherwell ended up with the 3 points

First half was a bit of a stinker. Van veen although talented seemed to constantly hold on to the ball far too long which allowed St Mirren defenders back in position before anything meaningful happened, whilst Spittal’s crossing was infuriating with those low driven crosses always hitting the first man. 

Fair play to Motherwell though, what lacked in quality for large parts, there was no question everyone was bursting a gut to get the result. It’s difficult playing managerless especially after the embarrassment of Sligo but they dug in and stayed resolute especially after going down to 10 men. However, I really cant see Motherwell scoring many goals across the season which could be a big problem. Van veen will obviously contribute but despite being a hard worker, shields looks very limited and doesn’t seem to really know how to use his pace and power

St Mirren were dangerous with crosses in the box and if the big lad up top had an ounce of composure, he’d of scored at least 2 today. Really woeful finishing across the team. Declan Gallagher was terrific I must add. First time seeing him play in the flesh and for a big guy, he’s very cultured on the ball. Erhahon was also impressive with his distribution in the midfield.