Accies vs Morton

Many people getting very upset over a shit game. This was predictable.

On 25/07/2022 at 19:30, GiGi said:

2 Grant Gillespies fighting over a toupee.

^

Edited by GiGi

2nd half we were good. Impressed with Winter and Shiels in particular. Winter looks a proper forward now.

Obvs far from the finished article but I think he looks like he's developing well as a forward. I was always a bit unsure if he'd make it there and end up becoming a left-winger, but his pressing, physicality and back to goal stuff are looking better. Hopefully he can stay fit and continue developing.

Another positive is that it was good to hear some noise from Section A which looked a bit busier than usual. Did the u18 deal help?

Pleased to hear Gillespie doing well again. Hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as other supporters made out, yet. Hopefully get something resembling a striker and a creative midfielder in next month. Easier said than done with the budget we’re working with, but we’re going to seriously struggle without. 

Yeah to add I was impressed with Gillespie, always liked him at Accies despite his limited ability but he looked like a player today. Good to see him doing well 
His initial footballing ability in midfield he showed at us seems to have returned along with his hair [emoji23]

Decent midfield captain for Morton if he keeps that level of performance up all season.

10 minutes ago, cdhafc1874 said:

His initial footballing ability in midfield he showed at us seems to have returned along with his hair emoji23.png

Decent midfield captain for Morton if he keeps that level of performance up all season.

His biggest barrier to success with us was Canning’s insistence on shoehorning him in at RB to be honest. Always looked half decent in midfield

Looked to me like Accies coped better with 10 v 11. We were passing the ball around reasonably well and probably had the two most clear cut chances in the 2nd half, but every time they got a corner at the far end I was expecting the worst. 

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What a weird game that was.

Want has looked like a total bomb scare in both games I've seen so far this season. He seems to have developed a worrying trait of not attacking the ball and leaving it/letting it bounce. I'm not convinced he fouled the player or if it was even in the box for the sending off/penalty but either way, it was an awful piece of defending to allow the ball to travel that far in the first place.

Thought Ryan and Winter ran themselves into the ground, especially in that second half. Huge credit to the whole team to play the entire half with 10 and even look threatening on occasions.

Suppose I have to mention the referee. The tone for the match was set in the first 10 seconds with the double booking and it just descended into farce from there. Lots of strange wee things like blowing up for foul throws then blatantly ignoring ones later. Allowing throw in takers to steal yards sometimes and then insisting they're taken from the exact spot later. Yellow card flying like confetti (sometimes for challenges which didn't even look like fouls). As for the 'big' incidents, as previously mentioned I'm not convinced Want actually fouled the player or if it was in the box. The 'handling outside the box' looked correct to me as I though Ryan obstructed the 'keeper initially. Blatant penalty missed for us IMO at the end. Both hands above the head to 'save' the ball from going towards the goal.

Got to be happy with the point considering the circumstances, but a frustrating afternoon overall.

Apparently, 'these things even themselves out throughout the season' so I look forward to this process happening in the next few games...

Think you've summed up the ref well there.

He became very card happy and at one point you felt any foul would end up a booking. Wouldn't say it was in favour of one team, he was just blowing for fouls all the time.

On the key incidents, need to see them on highlights as we were 100 yards away. The reaction of the Accies players suggests its a stonewall pen but will wait and see.

Accies were better with 10 men, thought we were comfortably the better team when 11-11. On that showing, both of us will be bottom 5 easy.

We seem to have got a knack recently for having strange first league games of a season. 

The referee is the first thing i have to mention, his performance was the worst I've seen in a long time. He seemed to lose control of things from the very first incident, from then on, it felt like he was just rolling dice for every decision. We will definitely get penalties this season for less than that clear handball.

From our side I thought there was a lot of positives to take. We showed great fight in that 2nd half, the players were playing for each other and giving their all, which was very pleasing, and you could see that the crowd was responding to it. Hope to see that throughout the season.

Regret putting Morton so high on my predictions, the game was getting handed to them on a plate, but they didn't to want to take it. Seemed more focused on gaining fouls and getting our players booked than scoring goals.

Terrible call for the penalty, but the red card was spot on, seeing it again, such a stupid challenge.

Also it might be just because it's Mortons highlights focusing on their attacks, but our defending is worse than I remember it. Morton players had acres of space just outside our box. Do that against Partick and we'll get hammered.

I don't remember the details of it but, a few year ago, we had a pen against us v St. Mirren where the contact was outside the box but the player landed in the box and someone who claimed to know the rules properly was saying that still counts as a penalty. Sounds like shite but could be the same thing here?

33 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't remember the details of it but, a few year ago, we had a pen against us v St. Mirren where the contact was outside the box but the player landed in the box and someone who claimed to know the rules properly was saying that still counts as a penalty. Sounds like shite but could be the same thing here?

@craigkillie

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, madton said:

Our amateur outfit doesn't do highlights.

Scott Struthers not around to do the 'we've got video evidence honest, it's just up at my gran's bit' line again? 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If the contact starts outside the box but continues inside the box then it's a penalty, but a player being fouled outside the box and landing in the box obviously isn't.

Looks like it might not have been a penalty. Doesn't help Hamilton any but we had absolutely rotten luck since Imrie came in last season with loads of sure-fire shouts and none of them being given (I don't think we had a penalty in the league from Dec onwards). We were due a break.