Accies vs Morton

The new league season is nearly here and with it the usual renewed excitement. How long will that last this time...

We've been handed a fairly decent first game, home against a team I'm predicting we'll be close to for the majority of the season, definitely winnable.

At the moment with our thin squad, it's fairly obvious what our team will be, and can only see that changing if there's an injury.

For Morton with the league cup being the only reference currently, seems like they are struggling for goals being as of yet unable to replace Ugwu. Hearing the rumors that Imrie isn't happy with his budget has dampened my initial thoughts on how well Morton will do, as he can tend to get a bit huffy, which won't bode well.

This was the 2nd game of the last campaign which we lost, so heres hoping we can get a better start in that regard.

2-1 Accies

Edited by Laid-back Accie

Not sure what to expect from this game. We are clearly lacking in squad depth and have been relying on the youngsters so far.

In saying that, a few of the young lads have equipped themselves really well over the cup games and could quite rightly feel aggrieved if they were to be dropped if by some miracle we sign players before Saturday . 

My initial thoughts would be a goalless draw, but who knows?  

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

In saying that, a few of the young lads have equipped themselves really well over the cup games and could quite rightly feel aggrieved if they were to be dropped if by some miracle we sign players before Saturday . 

The manager would violently disagree with that claim given his post-match comments from Saturday.

Given our stinking record against Hamilton under any circumstances, I'm expecting a low-scoring home win. The sort of 1-0 defeat where we could play all day and night and never score. 

I’ve never enjoyed games against the Accies, no matter what our status has been compared to theirs we’ve always struggled against their  style of play for some reason. I’ve never really got this opinion that Accies always play football the right way, playing out from the back etc. I’ve watched Morton v Accies games home and away from the 60’s and have never seen them playing anything but a holding game, trying to hit on the break etc. In fact I decided quite recently not to attend games v Accies as they bore the shit out of me. If I had been born in Hamilton and my dad had taken me to their games I wouldn’t have taken to football, I’d maybe have watched a different sport like rugby.

On 25/07/2022 at 15:57, virginton said:

The manager would violently disagree with that claim given his post-match comments from Saturday.

Given our stinking record against Hamilton under any circumstances, I'm expecting a low-scoring home win. The sort of 1-0 defeat where we could play all day and night and never score. 

100% agreed!

10 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I’ve never enjoyed games against the Accies, no matter what our status has been compared to theirs we’ve always struggled against their  style of play for some reason. I’ve never really got this opinion that Accies always play football the right way, playing out from the back etc. I’ve watched Morton v Accies games home and away from the 60’s and have never seen them playing anything but a holding game, trying to hit on the break etc. In fact I decided quite recently not to attend games v Accies as they bore the shit out of me. If I had been born in Hamilton and my dad had taken me to their games I wouldn’t have taken to football, I’d maybe have watched a different sport like rugby.

fuck off daniel day lewis GIF by Phantom Thread

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Fair point, we lost a few young fans to rugby after the 10-2 game, chasing the high scoring buzz of that day.

Keeper and back four pick themselves, then I think he’ll go Gillespie, Blues, and Lyon in midfield. In front of that, I hope he goes with Quitongo through the middle, Kabia as an out-and-out right winger, with Muirhead drifting in off the left-hand side.

Middle three can run themselves into the ground, with options off the bench; front three might want to conserve their energies for the full 90…

1-1.

59 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

After Longridge's antics last week, I wonder what Gillespie will have in store for tomorrow. Hopefully his family are in scrapping mode again.

Thoughts and prayers to the Crawford family if we draw st Johnstone in the cup.

19 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

10-2, 6-1, 5-0. All that hitting on the break. Feel free to add those Morton thrashings. There must be a 2-0 somewhere.

Apparently he has hair now.
Always fun when the players families get involved. Was it Canning's old man who was fighting someone in the stand at St Johnstone?
It was indeed Canning's old man who got huckle out of the away end at McDiarmid.

Same team as last week, and probably end up with the same issues. Lewis Spence has dropped out the squad so will probably be this year's early-season release.  with an injury. 

Edited by accies1874