2022–23 Highland League Chat

RossBFaeDundee

9 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

There are still many unknowns re promotion out and into conference league.

Why not get the 42 clubs to vote on a bigger Lg 2 sick in the B teams plus 4 from HL / LL and play 34 games a season? This not me advocating for the B teams but if they are why not in an expanded Lg2?  2 down with the HL / LL champions going up automatically. And third bottom club doing a playoff with the runners up of the HL / LL league.

Yeah, this is part of the issue. The trick is not to give these cretins an inch, because as they've shown, they'll take a mile.

There's no compromising to placate everyone here. Defeat this motion is the only option, in the same way the SPFL clubs have previously got the colt teams motion swept off the table without even going to a vote, such was the emphatic nature of its rejection.

We can't allow this concept to be normalised. It's much, much harder to remove them later as the Netherlands and Norway are discovering. There's no tangible benefit to the national game of their existence. And no, it's not worth 'seeing how it goes' either.

Apologies- the rant isn't aimed at you specifically, I promise! I came across a thread on Twitter suggesting a compromise, too (which I'm not sharing to save your poor eyes) and it depressed me.

The problem is that the understanding of what the 'national game' means has been hijacked by the SFA and Hamish Husband-esque roasters to mean 'the Scottish mens' international team'. The failure of that single outfit to qualify for a major tournament since 1998 has justified the massive stratification of resources (see the ridiculous conceit of 'elite' youth football) and allows the OF to cloak their self-interest of B teams in the guise of necessary 'reform'.

It is time that people made a hard choice. Either we embrace the ridiculously popular club game as the priority, or we will have to endure more of the same nonsense ad nauseam. That means putting the SFA into a tiny and clearly demarcated box that amounts to handling registrations, referee appointments and nonsense international games - nothing more. 

12 hours ago, morrison said:

Yeah, this is part of the issue. The trick is not to give these cretins an inch, because as they've shown, they'll take a mile.

There's no compromising to placate everyone here. Defeat this motion is the only option, in the same way the SPFL clubs have previously got the colt teams motion swept off the table without even going to a vote, such was the emphatic nature of its rejection.

We can't allow this concept to be normalised. It's much, much harder to remove them later as the Netherlands and Norway are discovering. There's no tangible benefit to the national game of their existence. And no, it's not worth 'seeing how it goes' either.

Apologies- the rant isn't aimed at you specifically, I promise! I came across a thread on Twitter suggesting a compromise, too (which I'm not sharing to save your poor eyes) and it depressed me.

I think I posted something similar to cold feet  somewhere too a while back , but on reflection your reply is spot on. 

The SFA’s Conference League Proposal

As has been reported in the media, the SFA AGM on 6th June will include a proposal for the introduction of a 10 team Scottish Conference League to be placed between the Scottish Highland Football League, the Scottish Lowland Football League and SPFL League 2 for Season 2024-25. Deveronvale FC have not commented on this matter so far as we didn’t have full information on the proposal prior to the AGM papers being issued on Friday 12th May. We wanted to be able to fully consider the pros and cons of the proposal as well as analysing the financial viability for our club and the impact of a “Yes” vote before making a statement. However, we did seek initial views from supporters, players, club management, committee and directors on the outline proposal and a survey of those groups indicated that ~90% of respondents were against the proposal and that they didn’t believe that such a change would be beneficial to Scottish Football or achieve the stated ambition to improve Scotland’s national teams competitiveness. Having now competed our analysis we would advise that will be voting “No” to the proposal at the AGM on 6th June. This decision is based on a number of factors, including the demands that a Conference League, with the majority of clubs likely to be based in the Central Belt of Scotland, would put on our players/management and their families given the travel distances and times away from home and work required for games on Saturdays and midweek. Clearly travel costs and away game accessibility for our supporters came very much into this analysis too. We respect the ambitions that some SHFL clubs have to move higher in the Scottish Pyramid system but believe these ambitions are served by the current system. We also share the views expressed on behalf of the SHFL Office Bearers by the SHFL secretary with regard to protecting the legacy of our 130 year-old league.

a613f1_d6962f9f85174393818599973cff911d~

Quote from Peterhead FC Chairman Rodger Morrison

I have been asked several times about my opinions regarding the new Conference league proposals. I have kept my own counsel over this matter while I thoroughly investigated what this new League would mean for Scottish football and while I can see merits in the aim to improve our National team, I cannot endorse these proposals in their current form. There are many reasons for this decision but one of the main objections is that this new league would hugely disadvantage our Highland League neighbours and that is something that I cannot support, I will therefore be voting NO at the SFA AGM on the 6th June.

Little doubt that the current ridiculous proposal will fall ... but that only begs the introduction of a `better` proposal. There is also little doubt that the standard of scottish talent (and numbers) has declined consistently since the 1970`s and now the import of hundreds of foreigners to make up a little of the deficit, which still leaves even the top clubs well below the standard of UEFA competitions ... just 3,500 points earned last season and 15000 points being dropped over the next two seasons, leaving them nowhere ... and a mighty loss of cash. 

Economically, it is vital that `Community Clubs` have the opportunity to grow and compete; which implies that they will have `B` and `C` teams as well as Women and youths of all ages. It remains an imperative that competition is vastly improved to raise standards everywhere and that, obviously, includes `reserves` in the `pyramid` .. which needs to be much better arranged. No point people sticking their heads in the sand over `modernisation` .. as many did 30 years ago with the `junior superleague, community club and pyramid` campaign. We only get top football when both the organisation and economy is correct. At the moment, it is mostly disaster area ..

19 minutes ago, mick90 said:

It remains an imperative that competition is vastly improved to raise standards everywhere and that, obviously, includes `reserves` in the `pyramid`

I don't agree. The SFA's posterchild Croatia have as good as given up on them after only 5 of their World Cup 22 squad of 26 had spent any time in a B-team. Instead they have a thriving national u19 league, outside the pyramid. Strong reserve leagues with all ages permitted would fit Scotland much better than 2 or 3 Premiership clubs bribing their way into the lower leagues.

One bonus of the SFA shifting the qualifying criteria for the HL/LL/Club 42 playoffs from Entry level to Bronze is that Buckie won't have to fanny about arranging stag parties and the like for early May in case they win the League. :P

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

The SFA has pulled the "Conference" League proposal, which is good news for the Pyramid.

Good job you were paying attention, Robert, we might've missed it

3 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Any strikers who forfar athletic should be looking at from the Highland league? Asking for a no current striker at his club friend. 🙃

Scott Barbour at fraserburgh. Definitely trying to weaken the opposition like to see him playing at a higher level.

2 hours ago, greendot said:

Scott Barbour at fraserburgh. Definitely trying to weaken the opposition like to see him playing at a higher level.

Ah yeah I've heard of him extremely unlikely that one, but wouldn't be against it 😆

Edited by ScottishLoon

7 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Any strikers who forfar athletic should be looking at from the Highland league? Asking for a no current striker at his club friend. 🙃

Looks like Ray is going down the route of not conceding rather than scoring this season.  Is that 4 centre halfs you have got now ?