2022–23 Highland League Chat

RossBFaeDundee

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

...putting a pause on license applications it looks like there won't be any next year either...

Clubs have been told it will open up again in the autumn so that's not accurate. Bear in mind what has been paused is accepting new applications. Those already in the system could still be processed even if the pause lasts a little longer than that.

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Clubs have been told it will open up again in the autumn so that's not accurate. Bear in mind what has been paused is accepting new applications. Those already in the system could still be processed even if the pause lasts a little longer than that.

Presumably the SFA are upgrading the licensing criteria rather than downgrading them, and given that I don't think there are any tier 6 clubs with applications already pending, in the North anyway, I'd say it was unlikely that any new ones will be granted during 23/24. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. 

On 08/05/2023 at 12:34, welshbairn said:

That could have seen Fort William come straight back up from finishing 3rd and 17 points behind the Champions, not sure if I approve! Incidentally the North Juniors have no licensed clubs at all, and with the SFA putting a pause on license applications it looks like there won't be any next year either.

P.S. Strathspey would have likely spanked them though, after their recent improvement.

Yeah, I did say possibly third though and if they're not good enough they'd get beaten in the Highland play-off. 17 points is a lot though. 

On 08/05/2023 at 12:36, FairWeatherFan said:

I mean there's only been one licensed T6 champion this year. While the Highland and Lowland have 3 feeders and 1 promotion spot, I don't agree with the notion of next best gets a leg up. Next year hopefully it will be busier.

Right now there's a freeze on new licensing applicants. As a review is ongoing that will likely raise standards. Just like the last time it happened with the introduction of floodlights. Clubs are working on it. It's slow going though.

Part of my thinking was also with the Highland league being slower to offer a promotion spot it (I know they'd give reasons for that) and no actual play-off of yet, and also with them in danger of getting stagnant again I thought it was something worth considering. Personally, I'd consider second but you wouldn't want a team not going for the title as they knew they'd already done enough for the play-off. I definitely wouldn't want to give Fort William a leg-up after their Highland league record, and you could argue they brought the Highland league into disrepute last season for the play-off.

Like all of the pyramid though, the sooner teams find their level the better.

A far from perfect suggestion I know and I understand why you disagree. 👍🏻

On 08/05/2023 at 17:36, welshbairn said:

Presumably the SFA are upgrading the licensing criteria rather than downgrading them, and given that I don't think there are any tier 6 clubs with applications already pending, in the North anyway, I'd say it was unlikely that any new ones will be granted during 23/24. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. 

Carnoustie?

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Has anyone done a record of the approx attendances for league matches this season? I see that they are available for the Lowland League.

Someone was trying to do it before Covid, think he gave up. Brechin publish their home figures..

https://brechincity.com/bcfc/p/s

I think the overall average would be around 150.

Edited by welshbairn

17 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I can’t even get certain teams to give me their subs. Attendances? Forget it. 

The guy who tried it before relied on folk who went to the games giving guesstimates, I even bought a counter clicker off Ebay for £3, never used it, just tried to add up blocks of ten. :lol: 

On 12/05/2023 at 12:32, welshbairn said:

Someone was trying to do it before Covid, think he gave up. Brechin publish their home figures..

https://brechincity.com/bcfc/p/s

I think the overall average would be around 150.

Cheers.

Years ago the P&J used to give estimated attendance figures. Presume that they don't still do it.

Edited by Dev

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Highland League Management Committee meeting tonight to discuss the conference proposal.

Surely common sense will prevail. From all my reading on this though will it actually matter what the 'diddy' clubs/associations think or want? 

Have a horrible feeling we'll be landed with this shambles whether clubs and supporters want it or not...

1 hour ago, Jimmain said:

Surely common sense will prevail. From all my reading on this though will it actually matter what the 'diddy' clubs/associations think or want? 

Have a horrible feeling we'll be landed with this shambles whether clubs and supporters want it or not...

The pattern is that even if it fails, it will be brought up again in two maybe three years and repeat until it goes through. The SFA knows best.

2 hours ago, Jimmain said:

The more noise the "diddies" make the more the SPFL fans and clubs will become aware of what the SFA are trying to pull, I doubt most of them are even aware of what's happening or at least about the consequences for clubs below the SPFL.

19 hours ago, Jimmain said:

If pretty much all 42 SPFL clubs vote for it, 5 tier and beyond leagues makes no difference what they think. Maxwell et al want this to happen. With a league of ten, made up of say 4 B teams means that these B (u21) trams will be playing loads of U21 teams. The idea was to give them experience of playing men and being in a stronger position to break through to the first team.  that aside it will be a hard sell in hospitality for Hearts U21's. Who wants that? So the monies being offered would not compensate for lost revenue.

There are still many unknowns re promotion out and into conference league.

Why not get the 42 clubs to vote on a bigger Lg 2 sick in the B teams plus 4 from HL / LL and play 34 games a season? This not me advocating for the B teams but if they are why not in an expanded Lg2?  2 down with the HL / LL champions going up automatically. And third bottom club doing a playoff with the runners up of the HL / LL league.

11 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

If pretty much all 42 SPFL clubs vote for it, 5 tier and beyond leagues makes no difference what they think. Maxwell et al want this to happen. With a league of ten, made up of say 4 B teams means that these B (u21) trams will be playing loads of U21 teams. The idea was to give them experience of playing men and being in a stronger position to break through to the first team.  that aside it will be a hard sell in hospitality for Hearts U21's. Who wants that? So the monies being offered would not compensate for lost revenue.

Why not get the 42 clubs to vote on a bigger Lg 2 sick in the B teams plus 4 from HL / LL and play 34 games a season? This not me advocating for the B teams but if they are why not in an expanded Lg2?  2 down with the HL / LL champions going up automatically. And third bottom club doing a playoff with the runners up of the HL / LL league.

The L1/2 teams don’t want B teams and don’t want to play less games plus don’t want 3 relegation spots - you need to understand these aspects 

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The L1/2 teams don’t want B teams and don’t want to play less games plus don’t want 3 relegation spots - you need to understand these aspects 

Are you saying that this is why they would vote in favour of the new Conference league or are you suggesting that an expanded Div 2 or Divs 1 and 2 is what they do not want?

Clearly there is a very real risk of  B teams getting into the SPFL Div 2 in the medium to long term - even if the present proposal intentionally does not demand that. Any Div 1 or 2 club which doesn't take that on board is risking its' SPFL place at some time ahead. 

8 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

I have always maintained that I would boycott any matches involving the colts . I am sure many others will be the same. The colts parent clubs have  , I assume taken this into account and will continue with their compensation match ticket payments .  Throwing money at it just highlights the ridiculously flawed concept they are creating.  As you say our hospitality could take a big hit too. 

I hope our club think long and hard at the possible harm this could do to our community after all the hard work of the last 2 years to get them back on side. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge