2022–23 Highland League Chat

RossBFaeDundee

31 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Personally prefer fewer mid-table teams often playing glorified friendlies for the remainder of the season. League 1 is a bit of an anomaly this season whereby it's already a two horse race for automatic relegation, but with the current playoff structure then you can usually have all participating teams fighting for something significant whether that be a promotion chance or avoiding relegation (or quite frequently and remarkably both simultaneously).  More 'six pointers' too.

The greater variety of away days is the main attraction for expanded league (far more attractive in HL than SPFL imo) as historically there's been little enthusiasm that second trip to Coatbridge, Airdrie, East Fife, or wherever.  Other than that, I struggle to see the attraction of the expanded leagues tbh.

Eta: Trialist keeper started for Wick yesterday.  What a start. 😬

He had a good game. He saved a penalty to stop Grady getting a double hattrick. 

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think Wick did try anything different, they lost at home to Strathspey 3 days before.

I missed that! Refused to believe Wick were really that bad just now. 

They were starting to put together a good team not long ago but are having a nightmare end to the season

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I missed that! Refused to believe Wick were really that bad just now. 

They were starting to put together a good team not long ago but are having a nightmare end to the season

I know they had one trialist in goal, no idea where from. Quite the debut for him though he did manage to save a penalty!

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I know they had one trialist in goal, no idea where from. Quite the debut for him though he did manage to save a penalty!

Without looking into it, could it not be that due to the summer league starting soon, they released their 2nd choice so he can play and only ran with 1 keeper but knowing it hey could always emergency loan/trial him back?

I know Penicuik have only had 1 signed keeper all season, then panic when he gets sent off and suspended!

53 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Without looking into it, could it not be that due to the summer league starting soon, they released their 2nd choice so he can play and only ran with 1 keeper but knowing it hey could always emergency loan/trial him back?

I know Penicuik have only had 1 signed keeper all season, then panic when he gets sent off and suspended!

Talbot & Johnstone Burgh have both had to stick outfield keepers in between the sticks recently.

19 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Late penalty miss by Botti Biabi as Brechin draw 0-0 at Fraserburgh.

It really does seem to be heading for a title showdown on the last day of the season.

Clach will finish off Brechin the week before, dead rubber. :whistle

7 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Late penalty miss by Botti Biabi as Brechin draw 0-0 at Fraserburgh.

It really does seem to be heading for a title showdown on the last day of the season.

Excellent. There’s a car full of us pieing the The Caley v Dundee game and heading through to it.

On 26/03/2023 at 10:37, theoriginalhedge said:

The Lowland, a similar sized league , has healthy competition from below which does seem to perk up the teams in the lower reaches which possibly  suggests that a properly worked play off system could alleviate the problem you mention. 

Let's not get too carried away, here. The Lowland League's been a two-horse race to the bottom all season. 

On 30/03/2023 at 19:28, morrison said:

Let's not get too carried away, here. The Lowland League's been a two-horse race to the bottom all season. 

I think a couple of other teams have upped their games, Gala for example.  

Absolutely pishing at the fact that Gordon Morrison, the recently retired former Clach striker and testimonial receiver is allowed to referee their matches.

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Absolutely pishing at the fact that Gordon Morrison, the recently retired former Clach striker and testimonial receiver is allowed to referee their matches.

Doesn't work in Clach's favour, the opposite in fact.