2022–23 Highland League Chat

RossBFaeDundee

With Lochee United losing a 6 pointer and Loch Ness Clothing Company Ltd out of sight from Fort William and Golspie, I'm going to declare it now, Strathspey Thistle are safe for another season.

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

With Lochee United losing a 6 pointer and Loch Ness Clothing Company Ltd out of sight from Fort William and Golspie, I'm going to declare it now, Strathspey Thistle are safe for another season.

Yeah, that's not going to change anymore so you can safely say that.

On 04/03/2023 at 19:45, welshbairn said:

How depressing 

Is it safe to assume Downfield won't be announced as having been approved for an entry level licence later this month pending a rubber stamp at the SFA AGM? That's the only longshot possibility that looks vaguely credible barring a spectacular collapse in form by Carnoustie Panmure. Maybe the HL are less flexible on that than the LL has been? Would need to check their constitution.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Buckie Thistle manager Graeme (Spider) Stewart taking getting knocked out of the League Cup by Banks o'Dee well. :lol:

"We were absolutely battering them, before we got that silly sending off," Stewart said.

"It wasn't a sending off but Joe probably needs to learn from it. He's not touched their boy, he went over the top of his foot but he gives the referee a decision to make in real time and the red card comes out.

"I have watched it back and there's no contact so we will be appealing the decision.

"I think Banks O' Dee let themselves down a wee bit. I could see there was a junior mentality.

"With the sending off, their whole team ran to the referee and I think they had about 20 coaches on their bench and they all jumped up and shouted for the red card.

"It was a bit embarrassing. They celebrated when we missed a penalty, which is something I tell our players never to do

"That was disappointing, and after the game in the changing room it was like they had won the cup with the music blaring. Let's just say it's something I will make sure that my boys never do.

The teams meet again at Dee's Spain Park on Highland League business with Buckie gunning for revenge.

"It's all about the league for us now and fingers crossed we can get back to winning ways when we play them next week.

"Trust me, our dressing room will be a quiet one if we do. We never celebrate in that way.

"There's a lot of ex-junior players in that (Banks O' Dee) team and there's no doubt they have Highland League ability, but they maybe have a bit to learn on how to handle these situations."

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/buckie-boss-unhappy-with-red-card-and-dee-celebrations-in-cu-305667/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Is it safe to assume Downfield won't be announced as having been approved for an entry level licence later this month pending a rubber stamp at the SFA AGM? That's the only longshot possibility that looks vaguely credible barring a spetacular collapse in form by Carnoustie Panmure. Maybe the HL are less flexible on that than the LL has been? Would need to check their constitution.

Looks like they're pretty well there as far as facilities go. Have they applied for licensing then?

https://fitbaamphotography.com/2023/01/29/downfield-park-downfield-jfc-vs-broughty-athletic/ 

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No idea hence the question. As for Buckie Thistle:

...there was a junior mentality.

What sort of mentality were Fort William displaying when they refused to show up for last season's playoffs?

More to the point what are Buckie displaying when they're pretty upfront about not wanting promotion to the SPFL?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Is it safe to assume Downfield won't be announced as having been approved for an entry level licence later this month pending a rubber stamp at the SFA AGM? That's the only longshot possibility that looks vaguely credible barring a spectacular collapse in form by Carnoustie Panmure. Maybe the HL are less flexible on that than the LL has been? Would need to check their constitution.

Highly doubt it, nothing has been mentioned about them and they don't even have a website for the usual policy documents required by the SFA. Their floodlights seem more like training lights rather than being good enough for matches as they've not played a midweek game since August and kick-offs were early during the winter.

Plus the Midlands League don't seem to be in hurry to get a champion crowned for a play-off, they've got fixtures to 22nd April the same date as the HL finishes yet that still leaves some clubs in contention with 6 more games to play.

On 06/03/2023 at 11:48, LongTimeLurker said:

I'd love to see it, but I'm near certain it's not happening this season.

On 06/03/2023 at 11:55, welshbairn said:

Buckie Thistle manager Graeme (Spider) Stewart taking getting knocked out of the League Cup by Banks o'Dee well. :lol:

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/buckie-boss-unhappy-with-red-card-and-dee-celebrations-in-cu-305667/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tremendous read, puts most SPFL managers to shame in terms of sheer pettiness. Really got me rooting for BoD now this Saturday.

Fuck that. Me and a few mates are going through to Buckie v Brechin at the end of next month hoping it’s still tight for the league. We need Buckie to keep winning as Brechin are relentless against 98% of the league. 

Will be a damp squib of a game if Brechin are out of sight by then. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

f**k that. Me and a few mates are going through to Buckie v Brechin at the end of next month hoping it’s still tight for the league. We need Buckie to keep winning as Brechin are relentless against 98% of the league. 

Will be a damp squib of a game if Brechin are out of sight by then. 

Brechin have some tough fixtures coming up, I think you'll be fine for a rammy.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Brechin have some tough fixtures coming up, I think you'll be fine for a rammy.

Aye Fraserburgh home and away still to go before they head to Buckie.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Brechin have some tough fixtures coming up

Following the performance at Locos on Saturday, I'm quietly pleased that last night's fixture was postponed tbh.  Hopefully get a win in for a morale boost before the rearranged fixture.