Dundee vs Falkirk - League Cup 2nd round

Wasn't an easy game on the eye but a professional performance.

Can't remember Sharp having to do anything other than scramble for a clearance from Ashcroft that hit the post. Certainly didn't have a save of note to make.

Ashcroft was an assured presence at the back and made the backline seem more comfortable albeit against weaker opposition.

Robinson put in some shift up front, deserved his goal and he holds the ball up really well.

Williamson was a highlight. Played well. I'd say he's put himself into contention for a place.

Cameron the star of the night but do still think he chooses the wrong option in awkward areas a little too often. Very good from him tonight overall though.

I mean, overall it's job done and into the next round.

Can't be any complaints with that IMO.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Better team winning. Score definitely flatters them though.
Doesn’t matter. More important games to come….

Don't know if I'd agree that the score flattered us given the whole 90 as we were very comfortable throughout, but I'll say that Falkirk weren't actually that bad. The issue was that you struggled to break us down really anywhere. In League One I reckon that performance would see much more positive results, we were just able to anticipate and react better. Don't think the player's heads should be too down going into your next league game, they weren't lacking in effort tonight.

Don’t think we really got out of second gear tbh. Was good to see some changes from Saturday and particularly pleasing to see Ashcroft get 90 under his belt, and a customary headed goal. Falkirk looked very toothless and lightweight if I’m honest but decent enough on the ball. Really good away backing. All the best in the league!

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wasn't an easy game on the eye but a professional performance.

Can't remember Sharp having to do anything other than scramble for a clearance from Ashcroft that hit the post. Certainly didn't have a save of note to make.

Ashcroft was an assured presence at the back and made the backline seem more comfortable albeit against weaker opposition.

Robinson put in some shift up front, deserved his goal and he holds the ball up really well.

Williamson was a highlight. Played well. I'd say he's put himself into contention for a place.

Cameron the star of the night but do still think he chooses the wrong option in awkward areas a little too often. Very good from him tonight overall though.

I mean, overall it's job done and into the next round.

Can't be any complaints with that IMO.

If I was being overly critical, I think Grayson was just a passenger the whole night until he went off, and despite his work rate I just thought Robinson was a bit weak up top. But that's me being over critical. A solid performance all round really.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Don't know if I'd agree that the score flattered us given the whole 90 as we were very comfortable throughout, but I'll say that Falkirk weren't actually that bad. The issue was that you struggled to break us down really anywhere. In League One I reckon that performance would see much more positive results, we were just able to anticipate and react better. Don't think the player's heads should be too down going into your next league game, they weren't lacking in effort tonight.

That's exactly how I saw it. 2-0 would have been appropriate; the red card and third goal was a real scunner.

Robinson ahead of Rudden for me, holds the ball up miles better, superior first touch and all round better player. Ashcroft made a difference, Cameron and Williamson played well too and French looked better at right back than centre. Falkirk looked decent, especially their front three. Wasn’t much in it first half but thought overall we deserved the win

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

If I was being overly critical, I think Grayson was just a passenger the whole night until he went off, and despite his work rate I just thought Robinson was a bit weak up top. But that's me being over critical. A solid performance all round really.

Thought Grayson once again embodied Martin Woods.

Disagree on Robinson though. Thought he did well. 

Agree, solid all round moving into the weekend game though!

Agree with all that. Not getting the Robinson much better than Rudden chat either, compared to that Ayr lad they’re both meh. French was very promising at RB though, Ashcroft looked like Maldini compared to the other recent incumbents, a very calming presence, Cameron looks like he has done all season, the vital spark we need. Williamson grew on me too although I fucking detest helping out the OF with young player development, as a general rule.

Aye Dundee definitely deserved the win in the end. We made our own problems at the back in the second half. We seem to go through wee spells of overplaying the ball at the back and creating f**k ups

Lyall Cameron was the difference, different gravy for a 19/20? year old and didn't stop running. 

Edited by Senor Bairn

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Agree with all that. Not getting the Robinson much better than Rudden chat either, compared to that Ayr lad they’re both meh. French was very promising at RB though, Ashcroft looked like Maldini compared to the other recent incumbents, a very calming presence, Cameron looks like he has done all season, the vital spark we need. Williamson grew on me too although I fucking detest helping out the OF with young player development, as a general rule.

Robinson set up the first goal, won the corner for the second and scored the third, if it wasn't for the Lyall Cameron show he would be MotM.

Robinson set up the first goal, won the corner for the second and scored the third, if it wasn't for the Lyall Cameron show he would be MotM.

He almost fucked up the first as he has no control, ‘winning’ a corner contributes to MOM? (Give it to nae neck every week) And the 3rd was a pen which he ripped from young Lyall’s hands.