A winning start with a clean sheet is more than I expected given the state/size of our squad. It's clear to all that we've barely started our recruitment and August will be a very busy month for us. I expect us add quality and depth. We'll need it as we're playing guys who couldn't get into the side last year. Leighton and Leitch for example are only playing until we get others in. 

Onto the game, we were ruthless first half and Rovers weren't in short. Was impressed with Raith at times going forward in that first half but defensively it does look makeshift at CB.  If you are a Cove fan there's no doubt that Mitch can get goals at this level and he proved it today. 

Rovers got in the right areas at times and created openings  but couldn't convert their chances. That will come. Like the speed in that side and passing/movement you have.

One thing I noticed is the lack of physical presence throughout the side and the lack of a target man. Clearly you have talented, skillful midfielder players who have pace and will create but you need an enforcer to do the hard work and give balance. Likewise, someone up top who can hold it up would help bring others into play. Gullan and Connell aren't that.

Second half was far more even in regards to shots and shots on target. I thought we had some really good chances to add to our tally although 3-0 would have flattered us. 

I'm sure you guys will be far more clinical in games. Deserved a goal today and goals change games.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

You could just about hear the sigh of relief around East End at having an actual decent central defender again. Just breezes through games.

I think it'll be a good while before we can breathe that sigh again, imagine losing all your CHs as well as you RB and replacing them with 💩

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I think it'll be a good while before we can breathe that sigh again, imagine losing all your CHs as well as you RB and replacing them with 💩

Ah, the Peter Grant method! Hope you’ve got them in good long contracts. 

Okay, what the f**k was going on here?

image.png.f257bd3a18e92c29a8b5f9c24886b4b5.png

This is the freekick for the second goal. It's a very tame, very simple chipped ball from just inside Cove's half, that the Rovers have time to prepare for. The angle isn't wide enough to see their starting positions, but this is the state of play before the first ball. Stanton (yellow) is caught totally flat footed, not only under the ball but also too far away to even pressure the man. Liam Dick (red) isn't even in the same fucking region!? Somehow he's gone off to the touchline to go and cover the man out there, totally neglecting the fact that he's leaving an opponent completely free on the edge of the box. Incredibly predictably, the ball is flicked on. At that point, Nolan (blue) has no choice but to try and get in the way, but that means leaving Megginson completely free, and he gets an easy pass for an easy finish. 

Again, just to be clear, this isn't a quick break. It's not even a quick free kick. The Rovers actually have every man behind the ball when it's taken, and still manage to have Millen and Brown both covering Leighton McIntosh at the back post, Nolan marking Megginson and absolutely nobody on the third man (apologies, I can't see who it is). Liam Dick has to take the most criticism because - for f**k - but more than one person in a Rovers jersey needs to be going absolutely fucking tonto as that's being set up there. It's beyond basic. 

Edited by Against The Machine

8 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Okay, what the f**k was going on here?

image.png.f257bd3a18e92c29a8b5f9c24886b4b5.png

This is the freekick for the second goal. It's a very tame, very simple chipped ball from just inside Cove's half, that the Rovers have time to prepare for. The angle isn't wide enough to see their starting positions, but this is the state of play before the first ball. Stanton (yellow) is caught totally flat footed, not only under the ball but also too far away to even pressure the man. Liam Dick (red) isn't even in the same fucking region!? Somehow he's gone off to the touchline to go and cover the man out there, totally neglecting the fact that he's leaving an opponent completely free on the edge of the box. Incredibly predictably, the ball is flicked on. At that point, Nolan (blue) has no choice but to try and get in the way, but that means leaving Megginson completely free, and he gets an easy pass for an easy finish. 

Again, just to be clear, this isn't a quick break. It's not even a quick free kick. The Rovers actually have every man behind the ball when it's taken, and still manage to have Millen and Brown both covering Leighton McIntosh at the back post, Nolan marking Megginson and absolutely nobody on the third man (apologies, I can't see who it is). Liam Dick has to take the most criticism because - for f**k - but more than one person in a Rovers jersey needs to be going absolutely fucking tonto as that's being set up there. It's beyond basic. 

Was Fraser Fyvie.

When you see that still it's crazy Fraser is standing by himself in the opposition box. He eventually plays a simple pass for the assist to Mitch.

When is Lang due back for you? Think Nolan will come good?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

23 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was Fraser Fyvie.

When you see that still it's crazy Fraser is standing by himself in the opposition box. He eventually plays a simple pass for the assist to Mitch.

When is Lang due back for you? Think Nolan will come good?

Lang is the furthest back of our four long term injuries, I think he's expected back by Christmas time. It's too early to tell on Nolan, but there's potential there. 

We simply cannot count on Lang featuring. He is the furthest away from fitness, its a bastatd of an injury and there can be all kinds of niggles thar will delay his recovery. 

He is unlikely to be in contention until January, where we will probably ly have another shocker of a transfer window. 

It is imperative we sign another CB. Even when Lang is fit again, our current options are a teenager that's barely featured and a midfielder or left back being played out of position. I haven't seen Nolan play, but we're already in a position where we are fucked if he gets injured or suspended. The boy is in the door 48hrs and we are already reliant upon him. 

It is hard to fathom how utterly mental that sounds, but it's true. 

Edited by Michael W