QoS vs Clyde

48 minutes ago, CM. said:

Paul McKay was a player who impressed me at Airdrie in midfield but he looked lost at centre back yesterday. Has he always played there for QOS?

McKay for us imo never really looked like a great player or impressed me, he could take a long throw in and at times you’d think that’s all he would start for, maybe times have changed and hes like Maldini but for us he was very average

19 minutes ago, Airduray Diamond said:

McKay for us imo never really looked like a great player or impressed me, he could take a long throw in and at times you’d think that’s all he would start for, maybe times have changed and hes like Maldini but for us he was very average

I think the jury is out on Paul McKay - wants to play football from the back which is all well and good if you play for Man City. The number of times we play ourselves into trouble deep in our own half is criminal and he is very often chief perpetrator by taking the ball in his own pen box from Keeper when “nothing is on”.We need a CB who can organise, hold a disciplined line, defend his penalty box and track runners in other words the ugly stuff that keeps clean sheets. Our goals against column shows that we don’t have players like this…………..unfortunately.

I think the jury is out on Paul McKay - wants to play football from the back which is all well and good if you play for Man City. The number of times we play ourselves into trouble deep in our own half is criminal and he is very often chief perpetrator by taking the ball in his own pen box from Keeper when “nothing is on”.We need a CB who can organise, hold a disciplined line, defend his penalty box and track runners in other words the ugly stuff that keeps clean sheets. Our goals against column shows that we don’t have players like this…………..unfortunately.
Far rather him try and take the ball than him hoofing it up the park to a short striker tbh.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Far rather him try and take the ball than him hoofing it up the park to a short striker tbh.

Well on the evidence of yesterday the total football is not working.

Well on the evidence of yesterday the total football is not working.
On the evidence of yesterday hoofing the ball up the park isn't working. We rarely passed the ball on the deck but instead went long almost every time and the Clyde defenders naturally cleaned it up.

Long ball with Paton up front didn't and will never work.

Mgt team need to sort that out - I would contend much of that comes from us picking the wrong option in our own final third and playing ourselves into trouble. Panic sets in and the long ball is only option.

Despite considerable joy with Paton and Connelly as a partnership we go back to the isolated striker with Connelly stuck out wide and then into a deeper central role. No wonder the ball never sticks when we play with an isolated front man.

Mgt team need to sort that out - I would contend much of that comes from us picking the wrong option in our own final third and playing ourselves into trouble. Panic sets in and the long ball is only option.
Despite considerable joy with Paton and Connelly as a partnership we go back to the isolated striker with Connelly stuck out wide and then into a deeper central role. No wonder the ball never sticks when we play with an isolated front man.

I don't even think panic was the trouble yesterday. Clyde pressed us almost constantly aye but from very early on it seemed to be our go to to go long. No one seemed to want to take the ball from midfield. When we've played well this season we've been sharp with the passing and kept it down. I don't know what the issue was yesterday. Perhaps they were shellshocked Clyde were as good?

I don't think we've had a front two all season. Paton is a lone striker with Connolly and Murray playing off him is how I've seen it. This works if they get the ball to the forward players feet. Going long doesn't help and Connolly has to drop to get the ball but then he's having to do a helluva running to get back into a dangerous position.

Gibson complained after the Annan game (?) that he couldn't understand why the players started going long. He was on the park yesterday so there was no reason why he couldn't have sorted that out.

After watching the Clyde goals, I’ll echo some of the thoughts I had at pre season when the squad was getting put together and after the St Johnstone game I was at

1) We will struggle to win the league with Max Currie in goals. I know he wasn’t the worst performer yesterday but the first and fourth would have been prevented if we had a better keeper in nets (like Rae or Brynn last season).

2) We desperately need an older centre half who organises others. McLean yesterday apparently strolled it, our defence desperately needs a big ugly centre half to just clear the ball and organise those around him.

3) Need more pace in the team in wide areas, still to replace Fitzpatrick.

4) The reason our defence struggles so much is because our midfield gets ran over the top most games, most teams seem able to play the ball through our team with ease which leaves a 1v1 or 2v2 too often. Another midfielder of the Wilson mould is also a must imo.

I know it’s just one game and obviously a long way to go, but with the Rangers money and a supposed million already in the bank, we need the board to make the decision to invest a bit in the hope of getting it back through increased crowds. Another 2/3 signings are clearly still needed, and hopefully WG is more open to recruit from the loan market, something which he didn’t seem keen to do earlier on in pre season.

6 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

As a Clyde fan I won’t be getting carried away with one good result and performance

Have always said the time to look at things will be after the first 1/4 of the season has been played out 

"Can’t wait for the quotes

”the boys are showing up well in training”

“the boys gave their all today and were caught out by 5 breakaways…..so they were”

“we just need that break to win our first game”…..quote in November

“We are a young squad and just need to give our all for our fantastic fans…..so we do”  " 

"However, I think we are certainties to go down this year. " 

Really?  The two quotes above from you were from after our first 2 League Cup matches which had you convinced we were down and not winning a league match until November.  Now after beating 2 Full time teams in our last 3 matches you are saying we should only look at things after 9 league games.  Which is it?  Do you only consider defeats to be an indication of Clyde's future and all wins flukes or lucky?  It certainly seems to be your logic from other posts on here.  

On the match, it was great to see a near full 90 minute performance from the team(that 20 seconds at the start aside) and backed by an incredibly vocal, positive and appreciative travelling support which the team clearly reacted to.  Carry that in to next week and there is no reason why we shouldn't be 6 points out of 6.    

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

After watching the Clyde goals, I’ll echo some of the thoughts I had at pre season when the squad was getting put together and after the St Johnstone game I was at

1) We will struggle to win the league

Aye, probably. 

13 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Aye, probably. 

Thistle won this league 2 years ago while being 7 points behind with 8 games to go. Don’t be so stupid to rule out a side after one game

Thistle won this league 2 years ago while being 7 points behind with 8 games to go. Don’t be so stupid to rule out a side after one game
There's plenty of our own supporters doing the same thing tbf [emoji38]

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

On the evidence of yesterday hoofing the ball up the park isn't working. We rarely passed the ball on the deck but instead went long almost every time and the Clyde defenders naturally cleaned it up.

Long ball with Paton up front didn't and will never work.

Also couldn't believe some of our goal kicks/clearances in the second half were aimed wide at McKechnie who must be all of 5'-6" tall. He probably couldn't even jump as high as the height of the man marking him, who didn't really need to jump at all to win the ball. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

1 hour ago, fandabbywee78 said:

"Can’t wait for the quotes

”the boys are showing up well in training”

“the boys gave their all today and were caught out by 5 breakaways…..so they were”

“we just need that break to win our first game”…..quote in November

“We are a young squad and just need to give our all for our fantastic fans…..so we do”  " 

"However, I think we are certainties to go down this year. " 

Really?  The two quotes above from you were from after our first 2 League Cup matches which had you convinced we were down and not winning a league match until November.  Now after beating 2 Full time teams in our last 3 matches you are saying we should only look at things after 9 league games.  Which is it?  Do you only consider defeats to be an indication of Clyde's future and all wins flukes or lucky?  It certainly seems to be your logic from other posts on here.  

On the match, it was great to see a near full 90 minute performance from the team(that 20 seconds at the start aside) and backed by an incredibly vocal, positive and appreciative travelling support which the team clearly reacted to.  Carry that in to next week and there is no reason why we shouldn't be 6 points out of 6.    

May not have said it on here but said on the owners forum that the time to judge will be after the first quarter of the season games.

The games against Hibs and Bonnyrigg didnt fill me with much optimism but fair do's to DL and the team over the last 3 games.

As a Clyde fan of over 40 years I am a natural pessimist.  If Clyde have a way of building you up and then blowing you down then they will find a way to do just that.

Only game have physically been to is the game v Falkirk and didnt play particularly well but by all accounts played yesterday well over the full 90 minutes which we havent done in many games over the last 3 seasons. 

Certainly last year we had our fair share of luck in gaining points so hopefully we dont need as much luck this year.

Even early in the season important to win next week and put 6 points between us and Peterheard.

Oh and thanks for trawling back and reading my posts......I know i dont.

13 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Really enjoyed that yesterday. I absolutely loved Olly McDonald too, he would not shut up and never gave the Queens defence a minutes peace. It was rough but fairly refreshing to see Danny immediately take off Hendji rather than stick with him. Roddan must be way out the picture now he’s turned PK into a left back.

One sour note though was seeing a bunch of weird middle aged men that have watched Football Factory one too many times, usual suspects. Seen one guy try and square up a boy in a wheelchair, so that was fairly embarrassing.

Really almost as pathetic as pretending you are 1 of clyde's many legendary players, I know the real legend well and hope he sues you, as for fans simple idea talk to them then, on game absolutely outstanding and best I have seen for 20 years.

That red card is one of the worst tackles you’re likely to see, disgraceful. 
Steady on. It's a clear red but I don't even think both feet were off the ground. It probably won't even be the worst tackle we'll see this season.

1 hour ago, CLYDE ULTRA said:

Really almost as pathetic as pretending you are 1 of clyde's many legendary players, I know the real legend well and hope he sues you, as for fans simple idea talk to them then, on game absolutely outstanding and best I have seen for 20 years.

Absolute word salad here. Think you need to take a breath.

Agree 100% about the game though.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 minutes ago, SLClyde said:
That red card is one of the worst tackles you’re likely to see, disgraceful. 

Steady on. It's a clear red but I don't even think both feet were off the ground. It probably won't even be the worst tackle we'll see this season.

It wouldn't even have been the worst tackle yesterday if we still had Kevin Nicoll! 

That prompted me to have a look at our line-up from last seasons opening day (0-3 v Dumbarton) for comparison. Balatoni and Rumsby :lol: For all those who seemed to love Rumsby, they are going to shoot their load if they haven't already with us having proper centre backs now.