QoS vs Clyde

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

if that intensity can be carried throughout the season you won't be anywhere near the bottom three.

Unlike in previous years where basically we had 10 guys and DGW

We now have

1. One of the best goalkeepers at this level over the last 10 years at this level who will probably earn us 10-15 this season.  Could be argued won us 2 yesterday

2. Two CHs who although have no pace will win everything in the air and organise the defence better

3. Bit more energy in midfield with Cuddihy and Duthie

4. Good prospect in McoDonald and others up front who may surprise me and one or more may reach double figures in the league

5. More depth to the squad which means we can go all our for 45-60 minutes and the bring on 5 subs who don’t greatly weaken us 

It's too simple after a heavy defeat to come out and blame the defending for the goals in a way that just sounds like sour grapes.

That's exactly what I'm doing though.  The defending there was absolutely appalling.  The lack of discipline and urgency evident in virtually all four is really striking.  Goals 2 and 4 in particular, didn't really look like goals that you get in professional football. 

People simply failing to do their jobs.  

The penalty save was a good one, but Clyde's attacking players looked to have far too easy an afternoon on that evidence.

35 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

There is a definite look of “we’ve chucked it” at our 4th goal. 

Agreed, but I think that sense is even more pronounced, bizarrely enough, ahead of the second goal. 

The failure to sense danger and react to it, even when it's screaming, is ridiculous.

A centre forward who has played some games at CB now looking like the best option at LB. And a 38 year old winger who has played at RB for a couple of seasons is the best option at RB. Kind of shows the standard of the other two and begs the question why we signed them. I would have expected the defenders we signed this season to be upgrades on the ones we had who had the worst defensive record in the Championship. It seems not.

I'm still willing to give them time but as it stands it appears this way. I've not been as hard on McKenna as others but it's worrying that he's being used at RB when he doesn't look particularly comfy there and his previous fans said he'll be ok at CB but not so good at RB. Yesterday Wullie had to play in the middle but if he has the legs to play this season he needs to get to RB. He's comfortably the best option we have there.

Guest Flash
53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed, but I think that sense is even more pronounced, bizarrely enough, ahead of the second goal. 

The failure to sense danger and react to it, even when it's screaming, is ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

First of all we’ll done to Clyde but from a QOS point of view those goals are dismal. 

We’ve seen this for a few seasons now - defending like it doesn’t matter if they concede a goal. This was probably the worst I’ve seen because it wasn’t just the goals. Clyde could quite easily have scored 6 or 7. It is hard to believe that this is their actual job and not just something they do for a laugh.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

There is a definite look of “we’ve chucked it” at our 4th goal. 

Tbf though Mckenna defended like that for the previous 90 odd minutes so hard to tell if he had chucked it or not. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Airduray Diamond said:
Who could’ve guessed, Currie not coming out for a crossemoji33.png

Currie was far from the worst performer yesterday regardless of the score.

I’m not for a second blaming the guy for yesterday as it wasn’t his fault but his saves to shots on target ratio must be fairly poor. Ayr game aside where he just seemed to save/get in the way of everything he faced he just doesn’t look like he fills the goals to me. That first goal definitely caught him off guard but it’s not even close to the corner and he gets a decent hand to it. I actually missed the Annan and St Johnstone games but heard he didn’t exactly cover himself in glory. 

Big few weeks coming up that’s for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

We’ve seen this for a few seasons now - defending like it doesn’t matter if they concede a goal. This was probably the worst I’ve seen because it wasn’t just the goals. Clyde could quite easily have scored 6 or 7. It is hard to believe that this is their actual job and not just something they do for a laugh.

I'm scared of how many Rangers might put past us if they can be arsed.

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm scared of how many Rangers might put past us if they can be arsed.

I think Arbroath will also be worried about their record getting smashed.
Seriously, if Queens play that same defence and Rangers can be arsed, double figures will not be out of the question.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pathetic. Utterly utterly pathetic. Again, take nothing away from Clyde, 4-1 flattered us if anyone but 4 completely preventable goals from our point of view.

1st - Again, why the f**k did McKechnie leave the post? The danger clearly wasn't gone and he never left for a valid reason. Stay where you are ffs and that's a simple clearance. Paton completely loses his man as well.

2nd - Called it the minute Clyde broke. It felt like everyone around me was shouting what was coming yet McKay and Quitongo failed to pick up the man at the back post. McKay more to blame as there was absolutely no reason why he couldn't come across to mark him instead of ball-watching with no one near him. Quitongo taking his foot off the pedal on his tracking back pissed me off as well.

3rd - Complete clusterfuck. Shit clearance by McKenna, Cochrane brushed off the ball, and the backline utterly clueless positionally.

4th - McKenna allowing the boy all the time in the world to pick his spot. Currie suspect as well.

Had calmed down a bit today but those goals have really set me off again. Get Gibson to RB and East at LB next week ffs.

That was a truly horrific performance and despite the succession of home defeats in the Championship (that seem to have lasted indefinitely) we were seldom cut open and exposed the way Clyde put us to the sword yesterday. Most of our defeats have been by the odd goal in 50:50 games where we contrived to find a way to lose from a decent position.

Yesterday was a demolition job - made worse by the fact that we got off to a dream start. As others have said I would drop a host of players for the next match - Currie, McKenna , Quitongo, either of the McKays, Cochrane, Murray and McKechnie. If that means that we have to blood a couple of our very promising youngsters a bit early then so be it. Some may have to play because of injuries but I would hope that a healthy mix of Tom Ritchie, Ryan Muir, East, Wilson, Reilly/Ruth, Dom McMahon Lewis Gibson can feature from the start. 

Hope Club heeds the warning from yesterday - need 3/4 quality signings (Rangers money will help) - defence, midfield and a winger essential. No shame in getting some signings wrong (every Manager does) - the key is recognising the shortcomings and taking swift action. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I miss working with you!  Monday would have been great. 

28 minutes ago, CM. said:

Paul McKay was a player who impressed me at Airdrie in midfield but he looked lost at centre back yesterday. Has he always played there for QOS?

Yeah. He was out injured for a good part of last season towards it's inclusion and only returned for pre season.

22 minutes ago, CM. said:

Paul McKay was a player who impressed me at Airdrie in midfield but he looked lost at centre back yesterday. Has he always played there for QOS?

Aye, was a reasonably solid CH last season before picking up an injury which ruled him out for a large chunk of the second half of the season, in fact just back playing again this season. Was actually offered his contract extension for this season while he was out injured so the management must rate him. 

3 hours ago, CM. said:

I was surprised at how poor Harry Cochrane has become. He looked the real deal at Hearts as a 16 year old. 

To be effective he needs time and space - two components that he is unlikely to get in League 1.