QoS vs Clyde

I knew QoS would be in a relegation battle this season but I wasn’t expecting that result. 
It’s not good for the league to have a team who’ll just be a punching bag. 

19 minutes ago, MS RR said:

I knew QoS would be in a relegation battle this season but I wasn’t expecting that result. 

Puts today in perspective when even a Falkirk fan can take the piss. 

A dark day. 

1 hour ago, MS RR said:

I still think we will get play-offs but saying we will be in a relegation battle is just fishing 

8 minutes ago, QOSfan019 said:

I still think we will get play-offs but saying we will be in a relegation battle is just fishing 

To be fair, we’ve seen other teams come down here and say that. 

Good luck 

Edited by Wee Bully

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic said:
Puts today in perspective when even a Falkirk fan can take the piss. 
A dark day. 

I'm not sure he even is a Falkirk fan. Complete welt who's bizarrely obsessed with us.

Is this not Messi Scott the Raith Rovers fan? MS RR started posting the day after Messi Scott stopped. I just assumed it was the same person and that he wasn’t a Raith fan either. I could be wrong, though

Is this not Messi Scott the Raith Rovers fan? MS RR started posting the day after Messi Scott stopped. I just assumed it was the same person and that he wasn’t a Raith fan either. I could be wrong, though

Correct. He claims he isn't the same person.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

No doubt people will say you cannot judge a squad on one match (and you can’t)but the scale of that defeat and the manner of it was very significant.

It was very similar to what Annan did to us, we need a new goalie, more height and strength in midfield, and some height and strength up front. Utter rubbish today. we'll be lucky to avoid relegation based on the Annan and Clyde games.

Seeing the early posts in this topic from Queen's fans about being challengers for the league over the last few days I held back, but still felt they were delusional.  Today confirmed it. It's a toughie to take on when you think you are likely to be going up. Its clear that that will not be the case.

QOS fans : get used to the long haul.

Still, result aside (which I'm clearly delighted with) it was a great day out and managed to visit a pub I'd not been in before - full of QOS fans - always good to see  a pub full of local fans rather than O.F. mutants.

Seeing the early posts in this topic from Queen's fans about being challengers for the league over the last few days I held back, but still felt they were delusional.  Today confirmed it. It's a toughie to take on when you think you are likely to be going up. Its clear that that will not be the case.

Still, result aside (which I'm clearly delighted with) it was a great day out and managed to visit a pub I'd not been in before - full of QOS fans - always good to see  a pub full of local fans rather than O.F. mutants.
Its gonna be a long season so i Suppose the saving grace is a wake up call right at the start so we can really get to grips with this league. That was a shock today to evryone in the stadium i bet Clyde fans couldnt believe it. Deserved win.

3 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

@David W As a poor supporter who missed this today, is there any chance of an in-depth special of a match summary so that I can imagine every little moment of detail in my head?

Well done to all of the player. Not getting carried away (remember how Dumbarton humiliated us on the opening day last year?) but a fantastic result.

This will be too long but in fairness it's been ages since a match that enjoyable. The 3-2 pre-pandemic against Falkirk maybe?

Since the Hibs game, every goal we've conceded has been an absolute nightmare defensively. There's always going to be an element of "could have done better" when a goal is lost but given that as the away side we'd want to keep it tight early on, we had an absolute stinker. Ball was played back from kick-off by QotS then played forward, Duthie for some reason planted an awful header back behind our backline (you would always play forward at that stage of the game) and P. Grant didn't deal with it at all. The ball was cut-back and Connolly's shot deflected past Parry.

Whilst a 4-1 score-line was undeniably a fair reflection on the match, there were two key moments that could have swung it in the opposite direction (one very obvious later on). Shortly after the opener, Queens also found themselves through on goal and although Paton was smart enough to take the ball past Parry (how many strikers has he denied one-on-one since signing?), he was held up enough for McLean to get back and block.

After that, we settled down into the pattern of the rest of the half, probably aided by Hendji's withdrawal. He looked injured at half-time but he was absolutely dreadful in the first 10 minutes, he just isn't good enough on the ball for this level. Kennedy the surprise introduction in his place. We were able to press all over the pitch and Grant/Gomis totally dominated the middle of the pitch. QotS clearly didn't have a clue how to deal with a pair of strikers who both dropped in deep to link up the play and we regularly found a ton of space in front of their back four.

One real issue for us last season was that despite being a team of slow cloggers we basically didn't score from a set piece the whole campaign. As such, it was remarkable to see us level from a smartly taken corner kick that found McDonald in space inside the box and he planted a first time shot across Currie, who got a hand to it but couldn't keep it out of the net. 

The rest of the half saw us cut Queens open at will and Duthie missed the target completely with only Currie to beat. Cunningham had a couple of chances, Cuddihy a shot saved. In amongst all of that we scored a second goal from a quick counter attack, Duthie skipping past the full-back and sending over a cross that found Cunningham with an empty goal to finish into.

One benefit of the five subs rule (which I hate) is that we can go at it full pelt for an hour then bring some bodies on to freshen things up. There's no doubt that as the match progressed, the fresher Roberts, Allan and Scullion played a key part in keeping us up the pitch. In truth, I couldn't see QotS scoring but they got a penalty kick for a barge in the back of one of their players, possibly from Duthie? It looked a spot-kick to me but Parry pulled off a good save down to his right. It's game one but in the context of the season, that could be a massive moment.

That started a crazy few minutes and we scored a lovely third goal with Duthie/Cunningham linking up to set Allan free for a wee mazy run across the edge of the box, before he placed a shot past Currie. A good thing he did, as he probably should have moved the ball onto Scullion who was initially in a better position. Duthie was then brought down by an awful tackle from Connolly; I'd need to see a replay to see how bad the tackle was itself but the intent was clear. He can't have any complaints. The referee, who had a shocker in the Morton cup game, had a decent game today.

The game was dead but we added a fourth when Grant's devilish free-kick was headed into the net by Cameron (who had been brought on for Duthie out of respect for the tortured QotS right back); another set piece goal!

Queen of the South were absolutely dreadful. I don't think I'll ever be convinced that Max is better than Blair. He was lucky to get away with a blatant shove into the face of Duthie; the referee could easily have given a penalty. Watching him sprint down the tunnel at the end was absolutely amazing. I thought Queens best player was probably Gibson but I also thought we played around him as the sitting midfielder easily.

Clyde's players showed a lot of energy and played some excellent football. The difference from last season is staggering. All of that is built around a strong base given by Parry, the centre halves and Gomis/Grant. After enduring Rumsby for so many years, it makes such a difference having two centre halves that win their headers and don't get caught on their heels when balls comes into the box. McLean has been a tremendous addition so far, you can tell he is organising the entire team. Gomis, in my opinion, was our best player in the cup matches and he was sensational in the first half, no doubt helped by having better footballers around him. Duthie ultimately had a great game but he can also be incredibly frustrating at times; his miss in the first half was awful. It absolutely boggles the mind that we ever played Cunningham out wide as his ability to find wee pockets of space centrally is tremendous. Plenty of positives amongst the rest, but I think it's only fair to highlight Kennedy's performance at left-back. He was physical, aggressive in the challenge and used the ball well. Basically the same as his team-mates.

Well, well, well I didn’t expect that! Saw Clyde against  Hibs and to be honest was pretty disappointed in Clyde outside the first 10 minutes or so. 

But a decent result v Morton and now today. Fantastic and hope you build on it.

Regardless of what happens over the next few months get behind  Danny Lennon. He’s the man- you won’t get better

Lol wut? Delusional to think we have a chance of promotion? Have you had a look around the division?

As I have said, Clyde thoroughly deserved their win today and were comfortably the better side but I think you need to settle down a wee bit. We still have a squad capable of challenging at the top end. Josh Todd, Iain Wilson, Gavin Reilly (and to a lesser extent Euan East) are players who never started today who will be key players for us when they're up to speed. 4 players that would comfortably find a job in the league above as well. We clearly have a problem with depth but if we can get our players up to speed before a side runs away with the division then I expect we'll still be challenging come the end of the season.

As bad as that was from a QoS perspective today I don't think one result has "confirmed" we won't be up at the top end of the table come May. I'll hold off until we've at least played everyone before I start panicking.