QoS vs Clyde

Buzzing for Saturday. Hopefully a similar feeling at FT and not the expected deflation. If we have serious aspirations of winning the league we have to be taking 3 points against the sides expected to finish lower down the league, especially at home. Something we seemed to fail to do for seasons so it's by no means a comfortable home win on the cards. 

Hopefully Paton and Todd make the side. And Wilson to at least be on the bench. 

A couple of goals and a clean sheet would be delightful. 

Looking forward to the trip. My favourite away day by far back in the late noughties when we were both in the 2nd tier. 

We couldn't ask for a tougher start, hope we don't continue the Cunningham lone striker experiment that we saw at Easter Road or Falkirk. I realise they're opposition we aren't expected to take anything against anyway but it'll still do us no favours and he'll be left chasing shadows.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Buzzing for Saturday. Hopefully a similar feeling at FT and not the expected deflation. If we have serious aspirations of winning the league we have to be taking 3 points against the sides expected to finish lower down the league, especially at home. Something we seemed to fail to do for seasons so it's by no means a comfortable home win on the cards. 

Hopefully Paton and Todd make the side. And Wilson to at least be on the bench. 

A couple of goals and a clean sheet would be delightful. 

Really need could do with both back, Paton sounded the more positive of the two. Unsure whether we’ll add to squad ahead of season starting, think an option behind striker wouldn’t go a miss.

Clyde having Brian McLean and Peter Grant at back, gives them a lot of experience maybe a lack of pace but I think they’ll be tough to breakdown, decently organised. 

34 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Really need could do with both back, Paton sounded the more positive of the two. Unsure whether we’ll add to squad ahead of season starting, think an option behind striker wouldn’t go a miss.

Clyde having Brian McLean and Peter Grant at back, gives them a lot of experience maybe a lack of pace but I think they’ll be tough to breakdown, decently organised. 

Hoping those two start at the back for Clyde. Grant wins everything in the air any time he visits Palmerston but with our system (when it's working) of fast passing and pace on the break, I think it could potentially be very damaging with their lack of pace. 

4 hours ago, David W said:

It'll probably help if Dobbie doesn't play. A total of seven goals on our last two visits :lol:

God aye, that last season before he went to England Dobbie was absolutely on fire.  That 7 goal drubbing at Palmy, I'm sure he scored 4 and was taken off on the hour or the final score could have been anything - one of the few times I've seen a Queens player who on the day was just unplayable.  I'm sure he was substituted to be kind that day.  Reminded me of getting on the wrong end of a demonstration of sheer class by Davie Cooper at Palmy in the 70s when he played for Clydebank.

You won't want to be reminded of this but I think wee Bob Harris scored an increadibly acrobatic header in that 7 goal spree that day also - wee Bob was ex Clyde wasn't he, and a Rutherglen boy also?  I loved to watch wee Bob's commitment to the cause, a joy to watch him play.

Being a Queens fan it'll be no surprise that I'm hoping we can win this.  However, I don't expect this to be easy.  Somehow we've managed to enter the league season with a whole pile of injuries - not quite sure how we manage to do this.  Hope its not a continuation of the Chima legacy ...

On 24/07/2022 at 17:59, David W said:

It'll probably help if Dobbie doesn't play. A total of seven goals on our last two visits :lol:

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Last seasons squad from Feb obwards would have been comfortably beaten by Queens on Sat...

If we play with two up front and Dobbie is nowhere near palmerston we have a chance at least..

Looking forward to sat , always been o good away day

Are we being wooshed?? 

10 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Last seasons squad from Feb obwards would have been comfortably beaten by Queens on Sat...

If we play with two up front and Dobbie is nowhere near palmerston we have a chance at least..

Looking forward to sat , always been o good away day

You'd better hope Dobbie's not up spectating then. 

On 24/07/2022 at 13:31, 19QOS19 said:

we have to be taking 3 points against the sides expected to finish lower down the league, especially at home. Something we seemed to fail to do for seasons

In fairness, that's been a pretty small band of sides in recent seasons.

True. In reference to the Championship I meant teams around us. We seemed to have a rotten record on that front.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

True. In reference to the Championship I meant teams around us. We seemed to have a rotten record on that front.

Our home league record against everybody is rotten. We’ve won 12 games out of 45 in the last 3 seasons.
4 of those wins have been against teams that finished in the top half and 8 against teams that finished in the bottom half (which is fewer teams because we were one of them).
Last season, the wins were against the teams finishing 7th, 8th and 9th plus ICT after they’d secured top 4.
Season before that the home wins were against 8th, 9th, 10th and 4th.
19/20 was better - wins v 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th which all came before the team collapsed after the transfer window.

The league record in away games in the last 3 seasons is 12 wins from 46 - 7 against top half and 5 against bottom half. Which is maybe what you’re thinking about - not so much last season when the wins were against 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th.