Pars vs Alloa - Sat 30th July

Firstly I enjoyed the game, it was competitive and both sides played some decent stuff, although neither had enough quality up front to deserve the win.

Not sure whether the goal is all Hogarth's fault, but he's at Alloa to learn and develop, so most important thing is he learns from the incident.

Scougall was a class apart, but I also thought King and Miller did well. Robbo still comes straight back in for one of them though.

Was shouting for a pen at the time (from a long way away admittedly) but looking at the highlights, it would have been very soft. Thanks again to the guys for the continuing quality of the highlights  BTW.

There's a groundswell against Church just now, which I think is unfair. He's not the greatest defensively, but he links up well and gives us good width and a natural left foot. Let's get behind the young guy.

Genuinely shocked at both sets of fans in here thinking the penalty claim on Sammon should have been given. He started it off having the defender in a headlock then both went down, I’d be livid if that went against us. That being said, the header from a corner looked over, and if it wasn’t it was bloody close.

Pretty crap game but I fully expected it after last week. Defensively we looked good, Benedictus has made a massive improvement and Breen looks good next to him. Both wing backs done okay, for me Edwards looks so much better on the ball than he did last season. Wee bit of luck with the Todd goal but it’s been a long time since luck went our way so we’ll take it.

Hopefully now see a couple more come in and then the return of Hamilton from suspension and Dorrans from injury.

Scougall was good for Alloa and I thought their keeper done well minus the goal.

Just watched the highlights and yeah not convinced the Sammon incident was a penalty.

Can I ask though, for those that say we need to improve for the better teams we’ll face, who are they?

Alloa looked a pretty solid outfit and looking at the results, can’t see many teams you can point at and say they’re significantly better?

Edited by Berry

1 hour ago, printer said:

There's a groundswell against Church just now, which I think is unfair. He's not the greatest defensively, but he links up well and gives us good width and a natural left foot. Let's get behind the young guy.

I would only have retained Church as backup to a new LB and would really have preferred Williamson for that role, and I'm still hoping we'll see another LB come in (that and a striker should be the priority). Agree though that the fans should get behind Church regardless. He is pretty quick and strong and capable of direct running down the flank (see his assist for Sammon's first goal at Buckie) and has put decent deliveries into the box at times. The raw attributes are certainly there and confidence would seem to be key. Certainly won't do any use for fans to get on his back anyway. 

27 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I would only have retained Church as backup to a new LB and would really have preferred Williamson for that role, and I'm still hoping we'll see another LB come in (that and a striker should be the priority). Agree though that the fans should get behind Church regardless. He is pretty quick and strong and capable of direct running down the flank (see his assist for Sammon's first goal at Buckie) and has put decent deliveries into the box at times. The raw attributes are certainly there and confidence would seem to be key. Certainly won't do any use for fans to get on his back anyway. 

It may be that the manager gives Howie a shot at left back when he's available (anyone know what's wrong with him?). He's not naturally left-sided, but he did well there last season.

With Stanger coming in Howie might not be first choice in central defence, although Durnan going off injured and looking short of fitness prior to that is a concern.

I thought McIver was the better of the two strikers yesterday and wasn't surprised that Sammon was the one substituted. He wins a lot of flick ons and holds the ball well.

We missed Taggs on the right and we immediately looked better both going forwards when we changed to a back four, moved him to right back and Wee Kev inside a bit and with less defensive duties. Durnan going off completely ruined that positive tactical change.

8 hours ago, printer said:

both sides played some decent stuff

Did they though?

I thought the quality on display was atrocious for the most part. Guys just kicking it long to nobody, booting it out of play etc.

Maybe my expectations are too high but for £20 I certainly would hope to see a far higher standard of football.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Did they though?

I thought the quality on display was atrocious for the most part. Guys just kicking it long to nobody, booting it out of play etc.

Maybe my expectations are too high but for £20 I certainly would hope to see a far higher standard of football.

You should stick to watching the "Champions' League" on TV if that's your attitude.

What the f*** had the price got to do with it?

1 hour ago, printer said:

You should stick to watching the "Champions' League" on TV if that's your attitude.

Don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say that Scottish football as a whole overcharges considering the quality of football on the park.  And in that vein your reaction is a bit much - were you one of the participants on Saturday?! 😂

2 hours ago, printer said:

Wow, what wild overreaction 😂

Thinking paying £20 for shite football is poor value for money means I should watch the Champions League?

Did that even make sense in your head or had the red mist just descended by that point?

All you need to do is spend £45 to watch Man Utd grind a  0-0 draw out against some no mark Premier League hangers on to realise Saturday's game was not bad fare. 

I can generally tell by the highlights, if it passes 7/8 minutes it's generally a good enough game. I've certainly done ones where I have 5 minutes of clips and then I'm done. 

41 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

All you need to do is spend £45 to watch Man Utd grind a  0-0 draw out against some no mark Premier League hangers on to realise Saturday's game was not bad fare. 

I can generally tell by the highlights, if it passes 7/8 minutes it's generally a good enough game. I've certainly done ones where I have 5 minutes of clips and then I'm done. 

First half was one of the worst I've seen in years tbh and I've seen some brutal games of football in that time.

Aye, I was struggling to think of any chances or good passages of play at half time in the concourse. The Alloa header, Todd's chance he put wide and the break when we couldn't square it to O'Hara and that was about it? Second half was a wee bit better but even then I can't remember the Alloa keeper having to make too many saves, Mehmet made one decent one and there was a jammy goal and a long range raker off the bar. But I could have sat and read the paper for most of the game (first half especially) and not missed much.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

First half was one of the worst I've seen in years tbh and I've seen some brutal games of football in that time.

I agree it's much more exciting watching Dunfermline concede but there were 6 decent chances at least in the first half with couple of wtf are you doing referee moments for everyone to get annoyed at. Terrible fare right enough.

5 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I agree it's much more exciting watching Dunfermline concede but there were 6 decent chances at least in the first half with couple of wtf are you doing referee moments for everyone to get annoyed at. Terrible fare right enough.

It was shite mate and I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2022 at 19:30, Cardle is Magic said:

Wow, what wild overreaction 😂

Thinking paying £20 for shite football is poor value for money means I should watch the Champions League?

Did that even make sense in your head or had the red mist just descended by that point?

It may be possible that to @printerfootball is more than just a product on the marketplace , sees himself as more than a mere consumer or target demographic for the Falkirk “brand” of “sports entertainment. 

It may be he is fully aware of how Thatcherism/Neoliberalism/Takeyourpickism has attempted to monetize every last vestige of communal spirit, tradition and meaning from his life and has led to once proud football clubs hanging by a thread in a ludicrous business model that concentrates all of the resources (including players who play pretty football) to a small selection of oversized and protected global brands whose main purpose is to shift overpriced, garish nylon t-shirts to India and China.

Maybe to him paying that £20 to help the kick-and-rush club representing his community keep their head above water, like his father & grandfather no doubt did, means much more than mere tiki taka entertainment.

Maybe.

2 hours ago, Luddite said:

It may be possible that to @printerfootball is more than just a product on the marketplace , sees himself as more than a mere consumer or target demographic for the Falkirk “brand” of “sports entertainment. 

It may be he is fully aware of how Thatcherism/Neoliberalism/Takeyourpickism has attempted to monetize every last vestige of communal spirit, tradition and meaning from his life and has led to once proud football clubs hanging by a thread in a ludicrous business model that concentrates all of the resources (including players who play pretty football) to a small selection of oversized and protected global brands whose main purpose is to shift overpriced, garish nylon t-shirts to India and China.

Maybe to him paying that £20 to help the kick-and-rush club representing his community keep their head above water, like his father & grandfather no doubt did, means much more than mere tiki taka entertainment.

Maybe.

BFA378C9-A936-41F9-81DD-A5CD75385849.jpeg