36 years, how much longer?

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the opposite.

The Old Firm have nothing to gain from playing competitive games against teams who out-muscle them financially. A few pastings would be bad for the image and make their EPL dream even further away than ever.

Similarly. what do Hearts have to gain from taking shoeings from the likes of Bournemouth?

Even worse, given the make-up of squads, is that these kickings would generally be dished out by English clubs' reserves.

No thanks.

I think initially there would be an arrogance and fan/media expectation that Rangers or Celtic go out and show their strength, but I do agree after a few Champions League style results opinions would change. However trying to second guess the mindset of clubs, fans and media longerterm around those clubs is nothing I'd really want to delve into.

However I fully agree everyone outwith those 2 teams wouldn't care.............Its like the Challenge cup (with its colts & overseas) clubs which frankly other than the actual final and bit of silverware most teams/clubs/fans dont seem bothered.

9 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

. However trying to second guess the mindset of clubs, fans and media longerterm around those clubs is nothing I'd really want to delve into.

However I fully agree everyone outwith those 2 teams wouldn't care.............Its like the Challenge cup (with its colts & overseas) clubs which frankly other than the actual final and bit of silverware most teams/clubs/fans dont seem bothered.

You've answered it yourself without much "delving".

No-one bar a few anoraks and away day piss artists thinks there is any interest or that a viable competition could be staged.

44 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I'm sure there would be some (two) teams desperate to show they can compete with the EPL teams in the hope it advocates the arguments of opening the doors to entry in that league, additionally (ambitious) players based in Scotland would probably be keen as its a shop window to advertise yourself to a bigger team/move. Plus the Scottish media would love it, every week there would be a 'Battle of Britain' tag assigned against any 'duopoly' game.

But for EPL teams (where the money would lie) it'd be nothing more than a load of unwanted hassle and distraction from league duties (as you say travel. prep etc)

As far as I recall the Texico cup excluded clubs playing in Europe so, for the Scottish Premiership, that would cover those sides finishing 6th to ninth last year. 

However, because of the reorganised Betfred cup with group stages, they are the same clubs that wont have the availability to play the likes of Brighton; Crystal Palace; Bournemouth or whoever.

Even then, as some else pointed out, the financial gulf is immense.

I think Scottish teams would love playing English sides. And would make lots of money.

People talk about travel. But look at the trips teams do in Europe. How can a trip to Bournemouth or Coventry be worse than the distance travelled in travelling to Iceland or Armenia. 

It is not true that games against lower division English clubs would get no interest. 

Look at the interest when Scottish teams play English sides in friendlies or European matches. It would be fun. 

Plus I agree the English would not benefit, but they would not suffer from it either, so it would be no skin off their nose. You could easily structure the trophies so that English sides do not play many more matches, especially the EPL sides. And the EPL sides not playing in Europe, do not play too many games anyway. 

I would love more cash generating, cross border matches.

If we had a British league most Scottish Premiership sides are barely big enough to reach a British League One. Some would be playing in League Two. So they would be playing the sort of sides they would play in a British league anyway. 

The best of both worlds, where we keep our own leagues but have money spinning cross border cups.

I would love Aberdeen or Inverness CT to play Man Utd or Liverpool even if it was basically their second choice players, 

What I do not like is the double standards of how some people see Scottish smaller clubs fans. Why is it OK in some people's eyes for Celtic and Rangers fans to travel up and down Britain if they joined the English leagues (I do not want the Old Firm to join the English leagues as people would think Scotland was part of England). But apparently fans of smaller Scottish sides are too weak to travel to Bournemouth or Coventry or other English cities three times a season? 

Fans of Dumbarton and Queen of the South travelled in big big numbers of Oswestry to play The New Saints in the Scottish Challenge Cup. So I think Scottish fans of clubs like Motherwell or Aberdeen would love a trip ( or pub crawl) to Milton Keynes, Wolverhampton,  or even a trip to see Man Utd at Old Trafford to play a big or even half decent English side, 

I would love to keep the Scottish League, but have a bonus of extra cross border matches with English sides, 

Celtic and Rangers would love playing EPL sides, even if they lost, because they would earn extra cash to sign better players. 

There needs to be a system where the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United make another 20 million a year so they can challenge the Old Firm for the Scottish League. 

38 minutes ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

What I do not like is the double standards of how some people see Scottish smaller clubs fans. Why is it OK in some people's eyes for Celtic and Rangers fans to travel up and down Britain if they joined the English leagues (I do not want the Old Firm to join the English leagues as people would think Scotland was part of England). But apparently fans of smaller Scottish sides are too weak to travel to Bournemouth or Coventry or other English cities three times a season? 

Fans of Dumbarton and Queen of the South travelled in big big numbers of Oswestry to play The New Saints in the Scottish Challenge Cup. So I think Scottish fans of clubs like Motherwell or Aberdeen would love a trip ( or pub crawl) to Milton Keynes, Wolverhampton,  or even a trip to see Man Utd at Old Trafford to play a big or even half decent English side, 

I would love to keep the Scottish League, but have a bonus of extra cross border matches with English sides, 

Celtic and Rangers would love playing EPL sides, even if they lost, because they would earn extra cash to sign better players. 

There needs to be a system where the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United make another 20 million a year so they can challenge the Old Firm for the Scottish League. 

Aye, I'm wetting my knickers here at the prospect of fucking MK Dons away!

Lotta shite.  There's a reason it doesn't happen.

I couldn't care less if the old firm played in the English (and Welsh) Premiership or whether it was some other super league set up. Having them out of the Scottish Premiership would surely make it better for the rest of us though. 

I appreciate that there are clubs that are richer than others; that will always be the case, but that shouldn't be a reason that the less well off teams couldn't compete.

In many ways the Championship is the most exciting league in Scotland. Most teams start the season with a degree of optimism; whether or not that gets crushed three games in is another matter but most teams at least seem to think there is a chance they could win the league if things go in their favour.

As we all know there is currently zero chance that will happen in the premiership; the gulf is too wide. Just looking at who Celtic had on the bench on Sunday is a case in point; any side can string together a few results but keeping that going the whole season requires a depth of squad that most teams can only dream of.

I don't hate the old firm or bemoan the fact that my side is undoubtedly in the arena of the "haves not"; it is what it is.

A Premiership without the old firm would undoubtedly hit TV money but maybe a more competitive league would generate more interest?

1 hour ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

People talk about travel. But look at the trips teams do in Europe. How can a trip to Bournemouth or Coventry be worse than the distance travelled in travelling to Iceland or Armenia. 

I don’t think the distance is the factor in why folk would prefer a trip to Iceland over Coventry ….

FC4C9F6B-7CC1-4358-8892-1C6246D1BA6E.jpeg

B6793535-707B-4400-9DA8-002F6C08146B.jpeg

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Many English (EPL) clubs barely show any interest in their domestic cup competitions which already have a European qualification place attached by essentially just playing colt teams for much of the games. Maybe initially there would be interest but it would soon dwindle for fans & TV deals, as the lure of watching Liverpool youth or reserves V's (insert Scottish Premiership team) is somewhat much less appealing than watching Liverpool stars playing in the Champions League on the tele.

Like against The Rangers, you mean?

I think Scottish teams would love playing English sides. And would make lots of money.

I could not give one shite if we played any English club, and lots of money is lots of horseshite if you don't have TV revenue.

If we had a British league most Scottish Premiership sides are barely big enough to reach a British League One.

Based on what? 

I do not want the Old Firm to join the English leagues as people would think Scotland was part of England

Drivel.

There needs to be a system where the likes of Dundee United make another 20 million a year so they can challenge the Old Firm for the Scottish League. 

Fuuuuck offfff mate.

Just more pandering to the wonderful English Premiership, oh how I wish we could be as wonderful as it. The only thing that could improve the Scottish game is getting rid of the OF.

The Scottish Leagues are the most entertaining in world football, never a dull day and never without talking points or controversy. It's the Tin Pottery that makes it and why I love it. f**k letting any other country get involved and change that.

Take your EPL shite stained brown nose somewhere else.

It's not wanted here.

£20m to Dundee United....

To win the league... 

Aye OK chief.

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I could not give one shite if we played any English club, and lots of money is lots of horseshite if you don't have TV revenue.

Based on what? 

Drivel.

Fuuuuck offfff mate.

Just more pandering to the wonderful English Premiership, oh how I wish we could be as wonderful as it. The only thing that could improve the Scottish game is getting rid of the OF.

The Scottish Leagues are the most entertaining in world football, never a dull day and never without talking points or controversy. It's the Tin Pottery that makes it and why I love it. f**k letting any other country get involved and change that.

Take your EPL shite stained brown nose somewhere else.

It's not wanted here.

£20m to Dundee United....

To win the league... 

Aye OK chief.

I think you're  confusing him with a sentient being.

Johnnydumn you are no good.for scottish football. You seem pointlessly angry with me.

.it is.like you were created with a mindset to damage Scottish football. You want to get rid. Of our biggest clubs and say no to money for the teams. 

I want scottish football to Improve with world class players coming to Scotland. Why the heck.you want our league to be smaller is beyond me. You are a useful idiot for enemies of scottish football. 

1 minute ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

Johnnydumn you are no good.for scottish football. You seem pointlessly angry with me.

.it is.like you were created with a mindset to damage Scottish football. You want to get rid. Of our biggest clubs and say no to money for the teams. 

I want scottish football to Improve with world class players coming to Scotland. Why the heck.you want our league to be smaller is beyond me. You are a useful idiot for enemies of scottish football. 

You were fizzin' when you wrote this eh?

Just now, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

Johnnydumn you are a useful idiot.for scottish football. You want our.keague be weaker. You are an enem of Scotland. A traitor.

Are you for real? Are you just here to damage Scottish football. 

And grow some manners. Have some respect.for people.yoi disagree with. 

Minter.

What a slavering mess.

I like your thoughts though, bend over to the OF and add in some EPL boaby.

Fuckin shite you talk. 

Johnnydumn this is the sort of useful idiot loglic enemies of Scottish football use.

Maybe we.shoild.all.go amateur,

No pro sides in the scottsh league. Ban pro players from the international.side

Then we.can use the useful idiot .policy of.making scottish football as.weak as.possible so we can please some self flagulating buffoons who get at scottish football  .doing badly. TRAITOR TO SCOTLAND. 

Edited by JOEY VIMSANTE

3 minutes ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

Johnnydumn this is the sort of useful idiot loglic enemies of Scottish football use.

Maybe we.shoild.all.go amateur,

No pro sides in the scottsh league. Ban pro players from the international.side

Then we.can use the useful idiot .policy of.making scottish football as.weak as.possible so we can please some self flagulating buffoons who get at scottish football  .doing badly. TRAITOR TO SCOTLAND. 

You edited this?