36 years, how much longer?

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

wasn’t sure the best thread for this so as good as any. Not written about Scottish football but a lot of it rings so true about modern football in the round. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/oct/22/football-must-remember-it-is-sport?CMP=share_btn_tw

It's fucking depressing.

And by that I mean literally everything around us in the world just now, not just this particular article.

• 2 weeks later...

oh ho ho, which dafty Celtic fan claimed to me a few weeks ago no one in Germany complains about this? I have my suspicions. 

Crumb of comfort for them is that shock horror fans who benefit from this wild imbalance are completely oblivious to how empty it is in Germany too. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

oh ho ho, which dafty Celtic fan claimed to me a few weeks ago no one in Germany complains about this? I have my suspicions. 

Crumb of comfort for them is that shock horror fans who benefit from this wild imbalance are completely oblivious to how empty it is in Germany too. 

Not sure the BBC needed to look at Germany when the BBC Scotland team of  intellectuals and forward thinking pundits have already confirmed that increasing financial disparity and league dominance is good for the game. 

On 01/11/2022 at 09:33, Dons_1988 said:

That’s such a poor feature by the bbc. They’ve done a story on whether everyone is fed up of Bayern winning all the time by interviewing journalists and Bayern Munich fans. 

I don’t think there was a single representative or fan from any other club.  And as for the writer from the athletic saying Eintracht Frankfurt fans aren’t interested in who wins the league, they only care about what’s happening to their club in 10th..?!!

I think if we had some way of keeping the Scottish League but having extra cross border money making trophies on top of domestic and European football. Then a non-OLD FIRM side could get the investment to win the Scottish Premiership.

If Aberdeen , Hearts or Hibs had another 20 million pounds a year somehow, then I think one of them would occasionally win the Scottish Premiership,

The way to do that is have some cross border money spinning trophy for all Scottish Premiership sides to compete.in.  

Whether that be a cross border cup with other European nations like Portugal', Poland, Austria, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Belgium or England. 

Edited by JOEY VIMSANTE

12 hours ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

I think if we had some way of keeping the Scottish League but having extra cross border money making trophies on top of domestic and European football. Then a non-OLD FIRM side could get the investment to win the Scottish Premiership.

If Aberdeen , Hearts or Hibs had another 20 million pounds a year somehow, then I think one of them would occasionally win the Scottish Premiership,

The way to do that is have some cross border money spinning trophy for all Scottish Premiership sides to compete.in.  

Whether that be a cross border cup with other European nations like Portugal', Poland, Austria, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Belgium or England. 

Not sure how many on here will remember the old Texico Cup? I used to really enjoy that because it included sides from England; Scotland and Ireland not playing in Europe.

It added a refreshing change to the "same-old; same-old". but then again it was a time when, at best, you managed about 20 minutes a week to cover all the English games in a week plus Ian St John's weekly phrase of "what can you say about Liverpool?".

Not sure clubs would be able to accommodate it now in the schedule which is a shame.

Many English (EPL) clubs barely show any interest in their domestic cup competitions which already have a European qualification place attached by essentially just playing colt teams for much of the games. Maybe initially there would be interest but it would soon dwindle for fans & TV deals, as the lure of watching Liverpool youth or reserves V's (insert Scottish Premiership team) is somewhat much less appealing than watching Liverpool stars playing in the Champions League on the tele.

15 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Many English (EPL) clubs barely show any interest in their domestic cup competitions which already have a European qualification place attached by essentially just playing colt teams for much of the games. Maybe initially there would be interest but it would soon dwindle for fans & TV deals, as the lure of watching Liverpool youth or reserves V's (insert Scottish Premiership team) is somewhat much less appealing than watching Liverpool stars playing in the Champions League on the tele.

You're right of course. There would be scant interest from any English Premier side to play in this competition.

It was of its time.

3 minutes ago, Durnford said:

You're right of course. There would be scant interest from any English Premier side to play in this competition.

It was of its time.

I don't see why many Scottish sides would be interested either.

Adding in long journeys to play low-key fixtures against cashed-up opponents who don't care about it either?

Absolutely no point.

12 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't see why many Scottish sides would be interested either.

Adding in long journeys to play low-key fixtures against cashed-up opponents who don't care about it either?

Absolutely no point.

I'm sure there would be some (two) teams desperate to show they can compete with the EPL teams in the hope it advocates the arguments of opening the doors to entry in that league, additionally (ambitious) players based in Scotland would probably be keen as its a shop window to advertise yourself to a bigger team/move. Plus the Scottish media would love it, every week there would be a 'Battle of Britain' tag assigned against any 'duopoly' game.

But for EPL teams (where the money would lie) it'd be nothing more than a load of unwanted hassle and distraction from league duties (as you say travel. prep etc)

34 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Not sure how many on here will remember the old Texico Cup?

When it lost its sponsorship it became the Anglo-Scottish Cup. St. Mirren were the only Scottish club to win it, beating English top division teams Bolton and Bristol City in the 79-80 season.

As has been said, the English interest in the competition was minimal. Chesterfield won it the following season (the last time it was contested) as a third tier club, beating Rangers (1872) on the way.

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I'm sure there would be some (two) teams desperate to show they can compete with the EPL teams in the hope it advocates the arguments of opening the doors to entry in that league, additionally (ambitious) players based in Scotland would probably be keen as its a shop window to advertise yourself to a bigger team/move. Plus the Scottish media would love it, every week there would be a 'Battle of Britain' tag assigned against any 'duopoly' game.

But for EPL teams (where the money would lie) it'd be nothing more than a load of unwanted hassle and distraction from league duties (as you say travel. prep etc)

I think the opposite.

The Old Firm have nothing to gain from playing competitive games against teams who out-muscle them financially. A few pastings would be bad for the image and make their EPL dream even further away than ever.

Similarly. what do Hearts have to gain from taking shoeings from the likes of Bournemouth?

Even worse, given the make-up of squads, is that these kickings would generally be dished out by English clubs' reserves.

No thanks.