36 years, how much longer?

35 minutes ago, HailHailHayley said:

And in answer to your last point, we don't play in La Liga, we don't play in the Premier League, we don't play in Serie A. Because of that it's not a level playing field when we compete in Europe - another reason why I wish the standard would improve in our league. 

Please tell me you're not seriously complaining that Celtic can't progress in Europe because you're held back by a lack of competition from inferior domestic clubs with a fraction of your budget, while simultaneously complaining you can't compete with superior clubs in Europe because of their much bigger budgets! Really? Try looking up the meaning of hypocritical and double standards.

Edited by Squonk

6 minutes ago, Squonk said:

Please tell me you're not seriously complaining that Celtic can't progress in Europe because you're held back by a lack of competition from inferior domestic clubs with a fraction of your budget, while simultaneously complaining you can't compete with superior clubs in Europe because of their much bigger budgets! Really? Try looking up the meaning of hypocritical and double standards.

It's not double standards at all. We all play in the same league system, under the same rules & regulations and have the same opportunities. Celtic have earned the right to generate what we generate, in the same way any other Scottish club could have. 

The other European leagues are on different playing fields to us so it's not even close to being a fair comparison.

2 minutes ago, HailHailHayley said:

It's not double standards at all. We all play in the same league system, under the same rules & regulations and have the same opportunities. Celtic have earned the right to generate what we generate, in the same way any other Scottish club could have. 

The other European leagues are on different playing fields to us so it's not even close to being a fair comparison.

WTF? As I thought - you can't answer the question.

5 hours ago, HailHailHayley said:

All you need are the right players, the right manager & the right set of circumstances. Lille won the French League even though PSG were there. Leicester won the English League even though there was the 'big six'. 

This kind of whining irritates me, there's no divine right to dominate a league. Celtic have done it over a period of time by getting things right. Instead of complaining, concentrate on yourselves getting things right so one day you might challenge. That's what Lille did. That's what Leicester did.

Celtic "getting things right" is having more money than everyone else, they don't sign players like Jota and Edouard because no one else in Scotland thought of it, they sign players like that because no one else can afford them outside of the OF.

Leicester's average salary is about 50-60% of the Big 6. Heart's average salary is about 15-20% of the Old Firm's, the two scenarios are not comparable.

Also, as far as money not being that important, you couldn't have picked two worse examples than the English and French leagues. Since being bought by Gulf states Man City have won the League 5 times and the League Cup 6 times in 9 years. PSG had won the league twice before being taken over, they have since won the French League 8 times and the Cup 7 times in 10 years. In their case, "getting it right" was having a ton of oil money pumped in to their club.

329905d648621236697c08e4ede7a5fa.jpg

7 hours ago, HailHailHayley said:

Nah, I'm calling this a wind up.

Nobody is this thick.

It's a well constructed alias, and they made a promising start, and have a decent handle.

But they've exposed themselves too early with the sub w.c.willie patter.

The alternative, that there are tens of thousands of unthinking drones like this, walking our streets, in our very communities! Is too horrifying to bear. 

20 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's a well constructed alias, and they made a promising start, and have a decent handle.

But they've exposed themselves too early with the sub w.c.willie patter.

The alternative, that there are tens of thousands of unthinking drones like this, walking our streets, in our very communities! Is too horrifying to bear. 

Aye they've shot their bolt too early. Maybe the next one will be more subtle before the big 'reveal'.

Celtic fans (I'm painting with broad brush strokes here, but in general) seem to like portraying themselves as leftist class warriors. It's nice for them as they get to wave St Pauli flags.

Yet as soon as any discussion about how to make Scottish football more equitable comes up they spew out some stuff about how "actually you little clubs just need to try harder and aspire more... maybe if you gave us more tickets then you wouldn't have a problem?". It's all very odd.

46 minutes ago, yoda said:

Celtic fans (I'm painting with broad brush strokes here, but in general) seem to like portraying themselves as leftist class warriors. It's nice for them as they get to wave St Pauli flags.

Yet as soon as any discussion about how to make Scottish football more equitable comes up they spew out some stuff about how "actually you little clubs just need to try harder and aspire more... maybe if you gave us more tickets then you wouldn't have a problem?". It's all very odd.

I presume this morning they’re campaigning for the likes of shell, centrica etc to retain all of their hard earned revenues. 

Because hindering their ability to compete would be really wrong. 

15 hours ago, HailHailHayley said:

All you need are the right players, the right manager & the right set of circumstances. Lille won the French League even though PSG were there. Leicester won the English League even though there was the 'big six'. 

This kind of whining irritates me, there's no divine right to dominate a league. Celtic have done it over a period of time by getting things right. Instead of complaining, concentrate on yourselves getting things right so one day you might challenge. That's what Lille did. That's what Leicester did.

Simple, really.

My god, GIFUY! All I've done is give my opinion & the way a lot of people feel. For doing that I've been called thick & accused of being on the wind up - stop being touchy & open your eyes! The deck's not stacked against the diddy clubs in Scotland in a way different to any other league & they find ways to be competitive and get European results.

I want the standard to improve, I want Scottish clubs to stop embarrassing the league in Europe - and btw those clubs only have that opportunity because of Celtic carrying the coefficient on our back for so long. 

Don't be so defensive when someone doesn't cheerlead for your point of view, or thinks the biggest club in the country isn't actually responsible for the league underperforming. But aye, just keep on voting my posts down - constructive that, not petty at all! 

Edited by HailHailHayley

17 hours ago, ermagersh said:

Let's do a little exercise with Celtic, Aberdeen, and Motherwell.

From the sources below it can be reasoned that Celtic's wage bill is usually around 20 million, Aberdeen's is close to 3, and Motherwell around 1 million. I wanted to see what that would look like played out in the EFL, which could provide a nice reference point.

If we cross multiply and divide we find that similar wage bills are Manchester City playing the part of Celtic (wage bill is 220 million), I have cast QPR in the role of Aberdeen (36 million), and finally Ipswich Town as Motherwell (15 million).

This means that OF fans are celebrating the pumping of a perennial Championship side and a League One "fallen giant". Pretty embarrassing I'd say.

Figures from https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/how-every-every-pl-and-champ-clubs-wages-compare-to-their-league-finish/ 

https://www.totalsportal.com/money/premier-league-wage-bill/

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/league-one-salary

https://footballleaguefc.com/category/player-wages/spfl-player-wages/

Swiss ramble is great for this kind of thing. The OF wages are closer to averaging 50m.