36 years, how much longer?

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

How would a cull of this type be even a first step towards such a target?

Try to provide something specific in any response.

The best way to put it would be your local butchers,bakers,fishmonger,produce,grocery store would close because they will all go to the new big tesco.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The best way to put it would be your local butchers,bakers,fishmonger,produce,grocery store would close because they will all go to the new big tesco.

No Willy.

That is quite the worst way of putting it imaginable, because it is quite without relevance.  

This thread recognises that the dominance of  'Tesco' types is regrettable in the sport we care about and invest in.  

Your solution, is to increase Tesco's dominance further.  It's laughable.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No Willy.

That is quite the worst way of putting it imaginable, because it is quite without relevance.  

This thread recognises that the dominance of  'Tesco' types is regrettable in the sport we care about and invest in.  

Your solution, is to increase Tesco's dominance further.  It's laughable.

I didn't say you would like it monkey but creating sporting hubs and developing catchment area's, promoting the game in the right way.
Celtic is an easy lazy target for you monkey when we all know the problems go much deeper,the blue print needs ripped up the infrastructure has never been there it's the same as the shipyards and the steel industry.Scottish football is going the same way.  

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I didn't say you would like it monkey but creating sporting hubs and developing catchment area's, promoting the game in the right way.

This is utterly meaningless drivel.

The presence of a Stranraer or Stenhousemuir in the national set up, does literally nothing to hinder such ideas.  Nothing at all.

I suspect you're a decent enough bloke Willy, but you just talk absolute, unsupportable rubbish on here.

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is utterly meaningless drivel.

The presence of a Stranraer or Stenhousemuir in the national set up, does literally nothing to hinder such ideas.  Nothing at all.

I suspect you're a decent enough bloke Willy, but you just talk absolute, unsupportable rubbish on here.

Monkey all you post about is the distribution of the money in the game like it's a white knight and will fix all the woes we have in the game,the imbalance the disparity it's utterly meaningless M8, some clubs have moved with the modern game and some haven't.
The game is brutal and played at a touch of a button,if you can't catch up you will be left behind.
The national set up should only be professional setting the bar and standard of our game.
Below that should be regional and grassroots keeping with local communities supported with local government and schools.
For me the problems at the bottom are way more serious than the problems at the top starting with the infrastructure and the facilities plus the cost.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but you can't fix it from the top down M8.

Or maybe, looking at relative populations, Scotland doesn't really have a problem here.  England (10x our size) hasn't had 20 league winners in 36 years and, obviously, Germany hasn't had 32.  The Netherlands has three big clubs as does Portugal.  Rosenborg has dominated Norway in this  period.

"A small number of big clubs dominate national leagues" is true across Europe and while Scotland is about the worst of the wee countries it is no where near as distorted as the big countries.

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Or maybe, looking at relative populations, Scotland doesn't really have a problem here.  England (10x our size) hasn't had 20 league winners in 36 years and, obviously, Germany hasn't had 32.  The Netherlands has three big clubs as does Portugal.  Rosenborg has dominated Norway in this  period.

"A small number of big clubs dominate national leagues" is true across Europe and while Scotland is about the worst of the wee countries it is no where near as distorted as the big countries.

Every other country has had at least one team to burst out from the pack and surprise the big teams in that time: Twente, Montpellier, Connah's Quay, Rijeka, Wolfburg, Deportivo la Coruna, Midtylljand, Grazer AK, Unirea Urziceni, Gliwice, Gent, Bodo/Glimt, Viktoria Plzen, Leicester, Mariehamm, PAOK, Lazio, Boavista, Istanbul....

This long with only the three winners is unheard of anywhere else

On 14/08/2022 at 16:23, pozbaird said:

I’m not up to it either. I buy my ST and support the team, but for me, the league begins with whoever is 3rd, and ends with whoever is 12th. The top two places do not concern me, nor do St Mirren’s results against either of them. I know, 99.9% of the time, they’ll beat us. Sometimes easily, sometimes narrowly, but we’ll most likely lose. I don’t care because the clubs I consider our rivals for success will also be getting pumped by them.

I want to see us compete against everyone outwith those two, and go on a decent cup run. My opinion is that in their hearts, the supporters of every other club feel exactly the same. Aim for 3rd, and a cup.

A truly tinpot league, tinpot competition, and a two-horse race, no exceptions. Doesn’t mean I should stop supporting St Mirren though.

Its actually a weird situation I find myself In.  Like you 3-12 is all that matters and they are the competition for my club but at the same time I'm also happy when the competition pump the top 2 even if its detrimental to my old side - apart from Hearts obvs. 

If given the chance to join the English league system, would you take it?

Both our two biggest clubs would comfortably be in the top 4/5 biggest in the UK if given the opportunity. I'm not sure the same could be said about Rosenberg or any Dutch team other than perhaps Ajax. The scale of the difference in size between clubs 1/2 and 3 in this country is astronomical.

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Monkey all you post about is the distribution of the money in the game like it's a white knight and will fix all the woes we have in the game,the imbalance the disparity it's utterly meaningless M8, some clubs have moved with the modern game and some haven't.
The game is brutal and played at a touch of a button,if you can't catch up you will be left behind.
The national set up should only be professional setting the bar and standard of our game.
Below that should be regional and grassroots keeping with local communities supported with local government and schools.
For me the problems at the bottom are way more serious than the problems at the top starting with the infrastructure and the facilities plus the cost.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but you can't fix it from the top down M8.

This thread is about breaking the stranglehold of the big 2 at the top.  

That is unequivocally about the distribution of wealth and is absolutely a 'top down' issue.  

It's so blindingly obvious as to not need saying

for anyone else.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This thread is about breaking the stranglehold of the big 2 at the top.  

That is unequivocally about the distribution of wealth and is absolutely a 'top down' issue.  

It's so blindingly obvious as to not need saying

for anyone else.

Surely you know that engaging this man is bad for your health. 

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Surely you know that engaging this man is bad for your health. 

I do. I do.

I need help for this.  I know he's coming out with absolute horseshit that even his fellow Celtic fans recognise as such.  I just can't seem to let it go unchallenged though.

I'll work on it as I know deep down that no challenges are actually necessary.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

Both our two biggest clubs would comfortably be in the top 4/5 biggest in the UK if given the opportunity. I'm not sure the same could be said about Rosenberg or any Dutch team other than perhaps Ajax. The scale of the difference in size between clubs 1/2 and 3 in this country is astronomical.

I would take the opportunity if it ever became a serious option 

It’s not looking likely though 

Indeed, based on last season's average attendances alone, if you swapped in the closest equivalent sized clubs from the English league, our Premiership would consist of:-

Manchester City 

Aston Villa 

Swansea City 

QPR

Blackpool 

AFC Wimbledon 

Wycombe Wanderers 

Cambridge Utd

Cheltenham Town 

Barrow

Crewe Alexandra 

Rochdale 

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Willy is either the greatest troll in this website's life, or the thickest member in it's life.

Personally, I think he's entirely sincere.

If not though, he really is a magnificently consistent wind up merchant.  Unusually, his mask never slips. 

I can only speak for the Celtic half of the twins but I have met many 'Celtic minded' folk over the years who are highly intelligent, extremely pleasant people and  wonderful company who can be relied on to talk erudite sense on just about every topic under the sun except football and the team they support. It's genuinely baffling and rather sad.  The can be vociferously and correctly anti racism, sexism, fascism etc etc but openly support a football club whose very business model relies upon fanning the flames of secterian division.  They champion equality of opportunity while their club pursues Thatcherite 'survival of the fittest' economics. And of course they moan and wail about 'unlevel playing fields' whenever they are ritually humiliated in Europe without the merest hint of irony regarding the set-up in Scotland. Oh well,. nobodys perfect !

I've heard this before.

How? How would they suddenly 'jump the queue' as it were of multiple other clubs wanting to break in to the top of English football? Getting EPL cash is no guarantee of anything. Newcastle draw crowds that are the same as Sevco, but have been absolutely nowhere and done absolutely nothing, even getting relegated. How would Celtic and Sevco somehow be any different? They'd need massive investment/backing from some mad oil baron type to even begin to compete near the top.

8 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Its actually a weird situation I find myself In.  Like you 3-12 is all that matters and they are the competition for my club but at the same time I'm also happy when the competition pump the top 2 even if its detrimental to my old side - apart from Hearts obvs. 

I used to feel that way - happy to see an ugly beaten by a diddy. I no longer feel that way. The competition that is Scotland’s top flight is now so over as a contest, that the only important thing for me is the wellbeing of St Mirren FC. We need to remain a top flight club, we need to not do a Partick or a Hamilton. To that end, 4-0 at Ibrox and 5-0 at Rugby Park directly helps St Mirren who hadn’t got off to a great start. All the clubs of a similar stature to St Mirren getting pumped does us no harm. It would be great to think St Mirren fans could just concentrate on our own results and what we do, but looking at our top flight campaigns clearly shows we need other results to go our way. I’m not cheering the 4-0 and 5-0 results at the weekend there, just recognising that they are helpful for our campaign. In isolation, they are a sad reflection of just how completely fcuked our top division is. The two of them will be gone, over the horizon, by Christmas.