36 years, how much longer?

20 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Precisely...we have two too many clubs in this country. 

Nah personally I’m not into or comfortable  for this idea of merging or essentially killing teams off to lower numbers

All these smaller clubs play a significant role historically and are still a huge part in the local community to this present day 

As mentioned in the now defunct Kilmarnock and Celtic thread I like the idea of bigger leagues so I would be more for bringing more teams into the SPFL fold if it meant we could get it up to a number where you could get into 3 leagues of 16 or whatever 

Edited by Forever_blueco

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

They still can but not part of the main structure.

I don’t think that part time teams are a major issue at all in the grand scheme of things 

getting rid of part time teams from the lower divisions  isn’t all of a sudden going to bridge any gap between Rangers , Celtic and the rest 

4 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

I don’t think that part time teams are a major issue at all in the grand scheme of things 

getting rid of part time teams from the lower divisions  isn’t all of a sudden going to bridge any gap between Rangers , Celtic and the rest 

We have seen in recent years how easy it is for clubs like Queens park,cove rangers Kelty hearts and Edinburgh city to move up the leagues and I didn't say get rid of part time clubs just restructure the pyramid. 

Considering the clubs and their fans don't want it, and say it wouldn't make any worthwhile savings, has anyone managed to come up with a positive argument for regionalisation yet?

So far it seems the hobby horse of people who just don't want to risk being embarrassed by the diddies anymore. It wouldn't even provide them with any tangible benefits, even if they could take all of the money used for clubs below the Championship and redistribute it upwards to the top two leagues.

48 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

We have seen in recent years how easy it is for clubs like Queens park,cove rangers Kelty hearts and Edinburgh city to move up the leagues and I didn't say get rid of part time clubs just restructure the pyramid. 

How does this close the gap between Rangers/Celtic and the rest?

14 minutes ago, Estragon said:

How does this close the gap between Rangers/Celtic and the rest?

You need to get the foundations correct before building on top,we have too many clubs at a stretch 30 is plenty which means 12 need to go regional,cutting it to 24 would be a real cull.
The catchment area becomes bigger overnight for the main clubs creating feeder clubs.
Condensing the money available to a smaller number would help but not the answer.
Scottish football is so polarized and self serving with too many getting their piece of pie.  

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Considering the clubs and their fans don't want it, and say it wouldn't make any worthwhile savings, has anyone managed to come up with a positive argument for regionalisation yet?

So far it seems the hobby horse of people who just don't want to risk being embarrassed by the diddies anymore. It wouldn't even provide them with any tangible benefits, even if they could take all of the money used for clubs below the Championship and redistribute it upwards to the top two leagues.

It's one of these things that seems sensible when you first consider it, but the practicalities of don't really work. For me it would definitely make Scottish football more dull, if nothing else.

59 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You need to get the foundations correct before building on top,we have too many clubs at a stretch 30 is plenty which means 12 need to go regional,cutting it to 24 would be a real cull.
The catchment area becomes bigger overnight for the main clubs creating feeder clubs.
Condensing the money available to a smaller number would help but not the answer.
Scottish football is so polarized and self serving with too many getting their piece of pie.  

I don’t think there is a major problem with our lower league set up as it is to be honest . 

I may be naive or oblivious to any major flaws or gripes as it has been a few years now since we were down the lower leagues so happy to be corrected if the lower league fans have any major issues that I am not picking up on 

edit to add : just realised the colts teams is probably a major issue after I typed this up 

Edited by Forever_blueco

30 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For talking's sake, let's just take all ten teams in League 2 and punt them out of the SPFL pyramid.

• Albion Rovers - Despite being in Lanarkshire, the only team who would stand to gain a bigger support would be Celtic.
  • Annan Athletic - QOTS could arguably stand to benefit by Annan going regional, but only if you're saying that Annan's presence in the SPFL pyramid since 2008 has been to their detriment.
  • Bonnyrigg Rose - Joined the SPFL five minutes ago. Kicking them back out again would have zero change to other club's fan bases.
  • Dumbarton - Next nearest club would be St Mirren I imagine, but given that they struggle to entice fans in from the OF next door, what is to say that people from Dumbarton would not just jump on either Rangers or Celtic also?  
  • East Fife - Average attendance last season of under 500. How many are going to hop along to support local rivals Raith?
  • Elgin City - 1hr drive to next nearest team.
  • Forfar - Average attendance last season of under 500. How many are going to hop along to support one of the Dundee sides?
  • Stenhousemuir - Average attendance last season of under 500. How many are going to hop along to support local rivals Falkirk?
  • Stirling - Average attendance last season of under 500. Alloa is probably the next closest side, followed by Falkirk, but how many fans would either of these teams stand to gain?
  • Stranraer - Best part of 1.5hrs to next nearest team, who's fanbase stands to benefit?

The reality is that population is more widely spread in Scotland than in other countries (i.e. England where population centres are more densely populated). To consolidate and condense the number of teams in the professional set up only stands to make professional football less accessible to sections of society. But you're probably right, local communities having their own professional football team is a pretty backwards idea.

Celtic and Rangers go out and spend tens of millions on players during the summer, and then question why the others can't be competitive against them.  Fucking hell.  

I take it they're about to get hammered in Europe again.  Is this why this patter is resurfacing? 

31 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's one of these things that seems sensible when you first consider it, but the practicalities of don't really work. For me it would definitely make Scottish football more dull, if nothing else.

More dull ??!! Is that even possible ! The issue is the Old Firm (and yes,of course, they still exist) and their obscene financial power. Either they agree to give up that power - share gate receipts, equal distribution of TV rights etc - or they are invited to leave. Nothing else really will halt the death of competitive professional football in Scotland.