36 years, how much longer?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I remember when Chelsea used to skitter around between the top two divisions.

Then early this century, they started trying really hard.

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I seem to remember Man City in the lower leagues on a regular basis.

Newcastle have not won a major domestic trophy since the FA cup in 1955 and the top league since 1927.

Surely they need to try a bit harder and show some ambition through positive mental attitude, yoga and mindfulness.

Aye, Chelsea and Man City were the definition of yo-yo clubs until they changed their mentality, said their prayers, and ate their vitamins, brothers.

Fulham were another (relative) success story of the era. Mohamed Al-Fayed got the existing manager and players thinking right, and they went from being on the verge of Conference football to Premiership mainstays for years, with their fans making many friends with their "we won't play you again" chants on the way up (rightly chastising their former rivals' staff for their defeatism and kebab consumption).

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, Chelsea and Man City were the definition of yo-yo clubs until they changed their mentality, said their prayers, and ate their vitamins, brothers.

Fulham were another (relative) success story of the era. Mohamed Al-Fayed got the existing manager and players thinking right, and they went from being on the verge of Conference football to Premiership mainstays for years, with their fans making many friends with their "we won't play you again" chants on the way up (rightly chastising their former rivals' staff for their defeatism and kebab consumption).

Crystal Palace tried to show “ambition” and got into financial problems.

QPR the same.

Blackburn Rovers the same.

Everton. Horrific spending to compete against the big guns. Massive losses.

Wigan. Gretna style owner.

Leeds United. Nearly died through overspending.

Portsmouth. Nearly died through overspending.

5 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Crystal Palace tried to show “ambition” and got into financial problems.

QPR the same.

Blackburn Rovers the same.

Everton. Horrific spending to compete against the big guns. Massive losses.

Wigan. Gretna style owner.

Leeds United. Nearly died through overspending.

Portsmouth. Nearly died through overspending.

"Been there! done that! 
Luckily however

How to bring dead inventory back to life with CPR (Clearance Price  Resuscitation) - Power Selling Mom

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No idea why people keep bringing up PSG.

PSG have a team full of world class footballers in every position and one player who has a claim to be the best the world has ever seen. That's why Celtic and Rangers would struggle against them.

This is in no way comparable to what St Mirren or Motherwell are facing each week in either Celtic or Rangers. Neither of the OF teams have world class or top international players in their squads - the fact that they regularly struggle in Europe against smaller nations is proof of that.

So are you suggesting the football world is made up of world class players and then another enormous category down of absolute dross? 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

What?

I'm clearly saying that the difference in skill levels between the players at St Mirren and Celtic is nowhere near the gulf in skill levels between Celtic and PSG so trying to compare the two is logically nonsensical.

The only thing clear about what you’re saying is that you’re (hopefully) absolutely at it. 

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This attitude of "why bother even trying - the league is over before a ball is kicked" is endemic in Scottish society. It's in the mindset of the fans, the club owners, the players and the coaching staff. It's utterly baffling. It really is.

It is though.  Celtic or Rangers will win the league every season because they have the best players, because they have the most money, because they have the most fans, because they aim for the lowest common denominators of society - glory hunters and bigots.

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No idea why people keep bringing up PSG.

PSG have a team full of world class footballers in every position and one player who has a claim to be the best the world has ever seen. That's why Celtic and Rangers would struggle against them.

This is in no way comparable to what St Mirren or Motherwell are facing each week in either Celtic or Rangers. Neither of the OF teams have world class or top international players in their squads - the fact that they regularly struggle in Europe against smaller nations is proof of that.

Nah. I'm tapping out of this. It's unwinnable when your logic is in an alternate universe. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

What?

I'm clearly saying that the difference in skill levels between the players at St Mirren and Celtic is nowhere near the gulf in skill levels between Celtic and PSG so trying to compare the two is logically nonsensical.

When signing midfielders this summer Celtic brought one for 6m from Benfica, St Mirren brought in a free transfer from Western Sydney Wanderers. The gulf is enormous. 

Wage bills 2021 (roughly):

PSG - 500m

Celtic - 56m

St Mirren - 1.3m

PSG pay 10x Celtic who pay 40x St Mirren

Just an opinion but mine would be that the gulf is bigger between Celtic and St Mirren than Celtic - PSG.

Going back to the thread title and, in particular "how much longer", I will depressingly say "indefinitely".

Only 9 other teams have ever been champions, 5 of those a one-off (Third Lanark, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and both Dundee clubs), Dumbarton in the first 2 seasons and Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen with 4 apiece. So only 19 out of 126 have been won outside of Celtic and (the) Rangers with almost half of those coming in the first 20 years post WW2.

In the 57 years since Kilmarnock's win we've had 3 for Aberdeen and 1 for DU...4 in the last 57 years the last of which was 37 years ago.

Being called a glory hunter 

people are aware of what the bulk of the  last ten years of following Rangers looked like aren’t they 🤣

Anyway can quite happily say I have probably been in more Scottish stadiums the last ten years than many in the forum will manage in their lifetime . Have been there for Brechin , getting beat of manager-less Stirling , chucking two goal leads to Alloa etc all the way to being in the stadium again for a European final. 

It’s been horrific , fantastic , soul destroying and everything good and bad in between. But it has never been boring and mundane. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

9 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Being called a glory hunter 

people are aware of what the bulk of the  last ten years of following Rangers looked like aren’t they 🤣

Anyway can quite happily say I have probably been in more Scottish stadiums the last ten years than many in the forum will manage in their lifetime . Have been there for Brechin , getting beat of manager-less Stirling , chucking two goal leads to Alloa etc all the way to being in the stadium again for a European final. 

It’s been horrific , fantastic , soul destroying and everything good and bad in between. But it has never been boring and mundane. 

What, winning 95% of your games?  Fuck off.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What, winning 95% of your games?  f**k off.

We have not won 95 percent of our games 🤣

pretty sure we didn’t actually achieve an away victory in the 3rd division until around October of that season

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

We have not won 95 percent of our games 🤣

pretty sure we didn’t actually achieve an away victory in the 3rd division until around October of that season

You're fucking at it.  Rangers win nearly every week.

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

In the last 10 years Rangers have won League 2, League 1, Championship, Premiership, Scottish Cup, Challenge Cup and reched a Europa League final.

Tell me more about the struggles the plucky Govan underdogs have endured.

Nobody has said we were underdogs for most of these 

It wasn’t enjoyable either for long stretches by any means but it was certainly never boring or mundane was my point 

Edited by Forever_blueco

I was going to say that Oaksoft needs to learn how to multi quote, but I'm sure he knows fine well how to use it.

Using it would mean he wouldn't get as much attention for his boring trolling. Quoting every single post means he gets to spam and troll more and, of course, the coveted attention.

Edited by DA Baracus