36 years, how much longer?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

The wage difference between the OF and the rest and the different fan base sizes are a convenient excuse for failure by everyone else.

The inconvenient truth is that no other team challenges the OF because those plying their trade at other clubs up here are simply not professional enough and they don't work anywhere near hard enough.

An endless stream of players who move from Scotland to England have told stories of their shock at how much harder they had to work at their clubs down south.

Our clubs can't even be professional enough to be ready to play teams from the Ireland at the end of July. There's the problem in a nutshell.

There's also a cultural "we canny win" attitude up here.

That's why it's been 36 years and counting since anyone else has won the title.

So it's a lack of professionalism, a lack of genuine effort and a losers mentality. Fix that and we'd see the OF being challenged in no time. There's really no excuse for this state of affairs.

Post Bosman, with players and agents holding all the aces, how do you suggest non ‘Old Firm’ clubs assemble, and keep, a squad remotely capable of challenging the ‘Old Firm’ in no time (and I quote). If a diddy club had the greatest ‘can do’ attitude in the world, worked their fcuking socks off every day, were completely professional in everything, and managed their diet and fitness to the highest standard. How do they stop Souttar being signed by Sevco? Lewis Morgan being signed by Celtic? Celtic swooping for Gary McKay-Steven and Stuart Armstrong? Hickey going abroad? Jamie McGrath going to England? An absolute procession of players leaving Easter Road and heading West along the M8 corridor?

Even if every Scottish diddy club employed the highest standards of mental attitude, training, everything - pray tell how they can get a team together that can seriously challenge the two teams who can afford guys like Jota, Morelos, Aribo, Daizen?

They can’t. You know they can’t.

Edited by pozbaird

On 25/07/2022 at 09:30, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd love to know what dear old Wastecoatwilly would make of it.

Ok Monkey, I'll start with a very simple question, Do you think The Dons or The tarts or The spoonburners can reach a total of 90 points in one season?
The video is apples and oranges M8.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So what I'm reading from your post is "why bother even trying. It would be a waste of time".

Exactly the attitude I'm talking about.

Any attempt at ambition is ridiculed (see how Fitzpatrick was treated a few years back) and quenched. It's the Scottish way.

Instead of playing "coulda woulda shoulda", here's a wee thought. Why don't we get our other clubs and players actually doing the things you've listed above that I've bolded and underlined and THEN maybe we can see if it's all a waste of time or not.

Because if St Mirren produced or developed a few players who were good enough and had the required attitude, they'd  be sold before they won anything.

They'd  need to sell because they'd  need the money and even if they didn't  the players would want to move.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Those players get sold only because the clubs decide to sell them in the middle of their contracts.

Because the clubs have no real ambition to win anything.

It's all about short term financial gain.

It's all negative.

You're kind of making my point for me.

Short term financial necessity 

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So what I'm reading from your post is "why bother even trying. It would be a waste of time".

Exactly the attitude I'm talking about.

Any attempt at ambition is ridiculed (see how Fitzpatrick was treated a few years back) and quenched. It's the Scottish way.

Instead of playing "coulda woulda shoulda", here's a wee thought. Why don't we get our other clubs and players actually doing the things you've listed above that I've bolded and underlined and THEN maybe we can see if it's all a waste of time or not.

What you’re reading from my post is wrong. Clubs like St Mirren, Ross C, Livvy and others will continue to do the best they can, with the resources they have, week after week, season after season, but in this country, they ain’t going to challenge the Old Firm in ‘no time at all’, no matter how hard they try. 36 years and counting.

This more like it. Replace "other clubs" and "everybody else" with "bloody poor people" and you've got an old-school Oaksoftian rant about society!

Success is all in the mind, you guys! When will you all learn?

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You are welcome to believe that if you really want to.

They clearly aren't.

Seriously, read some of the comments from guys like the Aberdeen kid from a few years back who went to England and couldn't believe the extra work he was expected to put in compared to what Aberdeen were expecting from him. I remember him talking about having to kick the ball about under the stands at Pittodrie to get extra practice in on his own.

You can all have a go at me all you like but the fact is that players and clubs up here either don't want success badly enough, don't believe they can be successful or are not prepared to make the sacrifices to become successful. It's not brain science.

I'm 90% sure you're taking the piss because no-one can be this out of touch, but for talking sake, lets assume you're right and fitness stops becoming an issue. How then do Aberdeen compete with Celtic who spent 46x (yes, Forty Six - four, six) times the amount Aberdeen did in transfer fees last year? 

And given that overall financial gulf is less than the gulf between Celtic and PSG, why haven't Celtic won the Champions League? 

8 minutes ago, CoF said:

I'm 90% sure you're taking the piss because no-one can be this out of touch

You're at the point I was with his posts about a decade ago.

Just wait; they get wilder when he's got a drink in him!