36 years, how much longer?

The only way someone other than the Old Firm win the league is if you can match their income.  Which will never happen as they both have 10 times + the size of fanbase of the next biggest clubs.

50-60k at at most home games v 10-15k for the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen means you'll never be able to afford the same quality.  I know it's an obvious point but that's the main issue IMO.

Imagine being an OF fan and pretending to be excited to go to the football every week, as though you were going to watch an actual competitive professional sport.

Imagine gathering in George Square to celebrate winning a 2 hore race.

Imagine pretenidng to take joy from winning hollow titles and cups.

f**k that.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The only way someone other than the Old Firm win the league is if you can match their income.  Which will never happen as they both have 10 times + the size of fanbase of the next biggest clubs.

50-60k at at most home games v 10-15k for the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen means you'll never be able to afford the same quality.  I know it's an obvious point but that's the main issue IMO.

I guess if Hearts were able to get European groups for 3-4 years they may be able to separate from the rest.

Still unlikely to win every game against the others to challenge though.

Just now, Steve McQueen said:

I guess if Hearts were able to get European groups for 3-4 years they may be able to separate from the rest.

I've always wondered if Hearts could fill a 30k seater stadium regularly.  That would certainly get them closer to the Old Firm.

30 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Imagine being an OF fan and pretending to be excited to go to the football every week, as though you were going to watch an actual competitive professional sport.

f**k that.

'A 2 hore race' - you got that right !!!

27 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The issue is how you qualify for group stage football while playing group stage football. You need a very deep squad for that.

The best chance for it to happen was when Mad Vlad went a bit mental at Hearts. The next best chance was when Oldco died and for several seasons there was only one disproportionally large club in the top flight, rather than two. Unless Celtic and Deadco were playing each other, they usually won. Celtic could be beating Killie 3-0, while somewhere else, Deadco were beating Aberdeen 2-0, or whatever. With Celtic flying solo, the opportunity existed for the likes of Aberdeen to be stronger than the diddy pack, and in theory, the title could have been decided by the outcome of all the Celtic v Aberdeen games. In fact, I’d have been fcuking delighted if every diddy club in Scotland had deliberately thrown their games against Aberdeen for just one season during Deadco’s soujourn in the seaside. Just one season. Anyway, didn’t happen, Deadco are back as Sevco, there’s two disproportionally large clubs in tandem again, and as the saying goes, the game’s a bogey. 

Unless a clinically insane foreign group of some some sort decide to ‘do a Man City’ with a Scottish club, because, well, because they’re clinically insane I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

It's a shame that we are all consigned to those two winning the league for the next 10 -20 yrs how sad .

Not just the next 10-20 years, pretty much for the forseeable future until they f**k off.

I could see it happening, maybe some rich American investor with Scottish roots, thats about the most realistic possibility? Stranger things have happened certainly, Leicester winning the Premier League, St Johnstone winning 2 cups, Ally Mcoist turning out to a good guy, who knows.

14 minutes ago, ConcernedReferee said:

I could see it happening, maybe some rich American investor with Scottish roots, thats about the most realistic possibility? Stranger things have happened certainly, Leicester winning the Premier League, St Johnstone winning 2 cups, Ally Mcoist turning out to a good guy, who knows.

I remember there being a time where there was a rumour Abramovich was looking at a Scottish club as a Chelsea feeder. Obviously won't happen now, but would've gave them a cash injection at least.

Only hope now is for RB Livingston :D 

I think for it to happen there needs to be a league restructure. Clubs having to face 8 games where they are big underdogs holds them back. However, the board generally want the money from the away fans when we go there.

They also need a decent backer and I think businesses like City Group or the owners of multiple clubs like the Brighton owner buys the club, then they will have a fresh start.

Ultimately I think we long as the smaller clubs think small, they will always be that. They seem terrified to move forward. 

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

f**k that.

See that’s nonsense. Thousands of our fans have followed us through barren times where trophies and leagues were few and far between. You can’t imagine the pressure the fans feel when the title is close, to say we can’t enjoy that makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Ultimately I think we long as the smaller clubs think small, they will always be that. They seem terrified to move forward. 

What does that actually mean though? 

15 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

How do you propose that a smaller Scottish club - a St Mirren, Livvy, St Johnstone, Killie, Motherwell, Ross C or equivalent, can think anything other than (first and foremost) don’t get relegated, stay afloat, and don’t get into unsustainable debt? Christ, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs have no chance of winning the title, so how do the smaller clubs ‘think big’? 

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, CoF said:

What does that actually mean though? 

Using plastic pitches as a tactic.

Cutting allocations for away fans meaning they are losing out on revenue for no real reason.

Constant time wasting 8 games a season. In my opinion this ultimately sets clubs up for failure when they make that step in to Europe, they don’t have an effective style to play at that level.

Think the fans also have to look at themselves when they call OF fans glory hunters while they fill it for a European qualifier then are absolutely nowhere to be seen at run of the mill games.

Scottish clubs getting rid of academies.

Even further down the leagues the clubs are small time committee organisations. Look at how those that have fallen out the league to the Lowland/Highland have fared. They are being bettered by essentially junior sides.

Just feel too many people involved in Scottish football have a “whit are we like” mentality and accept mediocrity.

1 minute ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Using plastic pitches as a tactic.

Cutting allocations for away fans meaning they are losing out on revenue for no real reason.

Constant time wasting 8 games a season. In my opinion this ultimately sets clubs up for failure when they make that step in to Europe, they don’t have an effective style to play at that level.

Think the fans also have to look at themselves when they call OF fans glory hunters while they fill it for a European qualifier then are absolutely nowhere to be seen at run of the mill games.

Scottish clubs getting rid of academies.

Even further down the leagues the clubs are small time committee organisations. Look at how those that have fallen out the league to the Lowland/Highland have fared. They are being bettered by essentially junior sides.

Just feel too many people involved in Scottish football have a “whit are we like” mentality and accept mediocrity.

What a crock of unadulterated shite.