36 years, how much longer?

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was only 3 when this happened, so can't remember, but was St Mirren getting it right up Hearts on the last day an annual thing in the mid-80s?

At our first home game the following season we played Hearts and pumped them 6-2. That was the season they lost the league on goal difference. 😂 

2 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

There was not at any point that season where anyone thought Hearts would win the league. Was all about Celtc stopping 10.  Hearts didnt even win one league game against any of them two in the league all season.

Not surprised you would remember that season differently, lad. It was very much considered a three-horse race as per TV footage and match reports.

Six games were left and only one of them was against the Old Firm. 'If' we won the other five, we would have done it.

It wasn't even just the league we were chasing, we weren't far off doing the double.

FWIW, I remember the media reporting the 1997/98 SPL as a three-horse race as it entered the run-in.

I also remember a weird undertone of relief as it became obvious Hearts were falling out of the running, although that seems a bit less weird with twenty-odd years extra experience of how Scottish football is covered.

(somebody's bound to take umbrage at the Premier Division being referred to as the SPL a year early!)

59 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

The only thing we have to console ourselves is that life's losers in Scotland flock to ride the coattails of 'success' of Goliath as it steamrolls ten Davids for yet another year. Thank f**k we aren't them.

I’m not sure if you are being serious by measuring somebody’s success in life based on a team they support, if it is I’m guessing it may be yourself who isn’t really winning at life if you are stretching to those merits of success.

41 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’m not sure if you are being serious by measuring somebody’s success in life based on a team they support, if it is I’m guessing it may be yourself who isn’t really winning at life if you are stretching to those merits of success.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Actively not supporting either Celtic or Rangers is the cornerstone of any decent human being......we should teach it in schools (fully integrated of course) !

Never going to happen unless the two of them f*ck off to some super league. For anyone else to challenge them they would have to be bought over by some oligarch, and that won't happen, anyone with countless billions to spend would buy a second or third tier English club instead.

The chance has come and gone.

It was 2015/16 - Dons started with eight wins (including vs Celtic).  Then something very strange happened (all kinds of rumours) and we fell off a cliff including 1-5 v St Johnstone at home.

We recovered to go top again in March, despite Klopp recalling Danny Ward to sit on Liverpool's bench in January and Rooney getting injured for the season.

However, a mixture of a last minute screamer from the monobrowed Aussie Rogic at Rugby Park - and Scott Brown (the keeper) flapping around gifting goals at Fir Park and Tynecastle meant it was gone by early May to Deila's bang average Celtic side.

Our 2016/17 side was actually better, but by then Rodgers had been employed.

Will circumstances conspire again to give anyone a chance to get close?..............over a 38-game season, when they can both spend millions in January if any sign of danger, very doubtful.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It was 2015/16 - Dons started with eight wins (including vs Celtic).  Then something very strange happened (all kinds of rumours) and we fell off a cliff including 1-5 v St Johnstone at home.

We recovered to go top again in March, despite Klopp recalling Danny Ward to sit on Liverpool's bench in January and Rooney getting injured for the season.

However, a mixture of a last minute screamer from the monobrowed Aussie Rogic at Rugby Park - and Scott Brown (the keeper) flapping around gifting goals at Fir Park and Tynecastle meant it was gone by early May to Deila's bang average Celtic side.

Will circumstances conspire again to give anyone a chance to get close?..............over a 38-game season, when they can both spend millions in January if any sign of danger, very doubtful.

I may have mentioned this earlier but I think if Griffiths got a long term injury in 2015/16 season Aberdeen may very well have won the league. He totally carried us that season and we had absolute dog shit back up like Carlton Cole behind him.

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Christ I remember Rogic's goal at Rugby Pk...horrific.

Was that not the season as well when we did everything but score against a rotten Hamilton side and lost 1-0? 

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I may have mentioned this earlier but I think if Griffiths got a long term injury in 2015/16 season Aberdeen may very well have won the league. He totally carried us that season and we had absolute dog shit back up like Carlton Cole behind him.

Celtic would just have signed someone else.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I don’t think pulling a ready 30+ goal a season striker is as easy as that. Especially when Lawwell was happy to just make do when the **** went bust. 

Absolutely no chance Celtic would stand by and let anyone else get a shot at the Champions League money.

Even if it had meant chucking a bit more than they really wanted to at Aberdeen just to disrupt them, that's what they'd have done.

I don’t think pulling a ready 30+ goal a season striker is as easy as that. Especially when Lawwell was happy to just make do when the **** went bust. 

Then they would have done the next best thing - weaken Aberdeen and sign a couple of their players.   If the league was in serious danger dont kid yourself money wouldnt have been thrown at it. 

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Absolutely no chance Celtic would stand by and let anyone else get a shot at the Champions League money.

Even if it had meant chucking a bit more than they really wanted to at Aberdeen just to disrupt them, that's what they'd have done.

We didn’t qualify for the a champions league under Deila at all though? And given how no other living Scottish club out with us have qualified for the champions league group stages and out with Sevco haven’t even made the group stages of the the Europa league for about 15 years I doubt they were too worried about anyone getting that cash injection. 

We didn’t qualify for the a champions league under Deila at all though? And given how no other living Scottish club out with us have qualified for the champions league group stages and out with Sevco haven’t even made the group stages of the the Europa league for about 15 years I doubt they were too worried about anyone getting that cash injection. 

You think Celtic weren’t bothered about qualifying for the CL? 

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Maybe not overly panicked about Aberdeen making it, but concerned with themselves not making it, absolutely. And I think you're playing the classic OF supporter game of playing up the jeopardy your side faced.

Firstly, you did have Griffiths, and he did score loads of goals.

Secondly, you did win the league comfortably. With seven games to go Celtic were seven points clear. It was won with three games to spare.

Thirdly, Celtic clearly had the financial clout, and, nobody really doubts, the will, to spend a bit more if necessary. Aberdeen didn't.

Edited by VincentGuerin