Ayr v Arbroath

First half was all Ayr. Poor finishing and the usual good goalkeeping from Gaston kept us in it. The Lichties really miss the midfield pace and aggression we got from Chris Hamilton last season. Sadly Jacobs looks short of the pace needed at this level.
Second half was better even with so many players out of position. Fosu did well in attack and made a real difference.
TOB’s sending off was a stonewaller.

Aye Jacobs is a huge downgrade on Hamilton and they are also missing a physical presence up front in the form of Hamilton or Nouble. I thought Linn might’ve had a good game against McAllister but fair play to the full back he had a superb game. Doesn’t offer a huge amount going forward but he’s a lot more aggressive than Houston and looks steadier defensively. He’s making that position his own at the minute.

If we had a finisher and a more creative midfielder we’d have won that game by 3 or 4. The lack of a midfielder wasn’t really evident until O’Brien got sent off and we had no idea how to take advantage of it. Just started playing stupid balls for Little to header away.

Some good goal keeping and defending by Gaston and Ricky Little, combined with Ayr's inability to finish kept Arbroath in the game ( could have easily been 2-0 Ayr at half time, but terrible finishing and good defending helped keep the game goalless).

Jacobs, Shanks and Hancock need more time to settle into the squad - if Fosu can score a couple of goals soon to gain confidence, he could be a contender.

A point from a below average performance is not too bad - but a team with better strikers would have taken Ayr's chances.

Between 2-3 new (loan) players still to arrive, so very early days.

It could be argued that both Ayr and Arbroath both have the best, old skool grounds in the league - can't beat an old, traditional football ground.

Not many positives to take as it was a pretty brutal slog.

However it's better than our start last season and also means we've taken as many points from Somerset as we did last season.

Main problem is going forward. I think Bobby needs to be considered an impact sub now, think he can be much more influential that way.

Shanks really needs an out and out striker alongside him to maybe talk him through the game as he was quite easily pocketed by the Ayr backline. Fosu made a decent impact in his place.

With TOB out, I'd move Hammy inside next week and give Hancock a run at left back. Hopefully JT will be fit and Gold can take Jacobs place in midfield.

I wonder if Dick might consider playing Shanks and Fosu together in attack. Daniel won a good number of headers against a tough Ayr defence. He’s got the physical presence needed. It would mean dropping Mikey back into midfield but that would be no bad thing after the way we were outpaced yesterday in that area.

Was taken aback somewhat by how poor Arbroath looked yesterday. Based on our league Cup performances I thought Arbroath would be fairly comfortable.

Ayr were getting some good opportunities at goal and moves going forward parti in the first half, we just seem to lack a goal scorer which is somewhat of a concern.

Arbroath very poor yesterday. The three subs at half time made the difference. Ayr were excellent but terrible in front of goal as usual. I presume O'Connor isn't fully fit. Sorry but Bryden isn't good enough for the starting 11.
Bullen should go with JML and O'Connor as wingers and put Ashford up front.
I honestly think once Ashford and Dipo get there first goals we will be fine. Very encouraged by yesterday. Good to see a decent crowd as well. #WeAreUnited [emoji835][emoji836][emoji835][emoji836]

23 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Too poor teams in the final 3rd. Arbroath look a flash in the pan and we'll do well to finish 7th or above

I hope this flash in the pan stuff doesn’t pop up every time we play poorly this season. Last season is over and nobody expects us to get close to that again. We played poor a whole lot last season too, we were worse the last time we went to Somerset with Nouble and Jack Hamilton upfront. Not getting beat when playing poorly is important

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I hope this flash in the pan stuff doesn’t pop up every time we play poorly this season. Last season is over and nobody expects us to get close to that again. We played poor a whole lot last season too, we were worse the last time we went to Somerset with Nouble and Jack Hamilton upfront. Not getting beat when playing poorly is important

Exactly. If anyone thinks we played constant swashbuckling football last season, easing past everyone we played, then they’re deluded. We had many games where we ground out a win or a draw even with Nouble etc playing.

Personally I’m delighted with a point after a poor performance and some loans still to come in. The bottom line is, we’re a point better off than we were at this stage last season.

Edited by Tattie36

Exactly. If anyone things we played constant swashbuckling football last season, easing past everyone we played, then they’re deluded. We had many games where we ground out a win or a draw even with Nouble etc playing.
Personally I’m delighted with a point after a poor performance and some loans still to come in. The bottom line is, we’re a point better off than we were at this stage last season.

39 points to go.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think the disparaging comments are aimed more at our own team than yourselves. We currently have a situation where lots of our own fans are being extremely negative about our side and our chances this season so the fact we looked pretty good against you yesterday automatically means that Arbroath need to be treated as hopeless rather than give our own side any plaudits for our performance.

For what it's worth I believe the whole league will be weaker this season than it was last and with your solid defence and a Midfield containing Nicky Low and Michael McKenna then I don't think you'll have too many problems once your squad is complete.

As for ourselves, it's a proven goalscorer that we require as a huge priority and a creative Midfielder / ball player also a major priority as our set pieces and creativity in the final third is pretty woeful to say the least.

Still, I'm sure we're not the only 2 sides with "issues".......

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think the disparaging comments are aimed more at our own team than yourselves. We currently have a situation where lots of our own fans are being extremely negative about our side and our chances this season so the fact we looked pretty good against you yesterday automatically means that Arbroath need to be treated as hopeless rather than give our own side any plaudits for our performance.

For what it's worth I believe the whole league will be weaker this season than it was last and with your solid defence and a Midfield containing Nicky Low and Michael McKenna then I don't think you'll have too many problems once your squad is complete.

As for ourselves, it's a proven goalscorer that we require as a huge priority and a creative Midfielder / ball player also a major priority as our set pieces and creativity in the final third is pretty woeful to say the least.

Still, I'm sure we're not the only 2 sides with "issues".......

Thought Ayr looked decent to be honest, think it’s maybe just a step to far for the young lad upfront just now I was actually half hoping the ball getting played to him yesterday when you were in dangerous positions cause I didn’t fancy him to do anything. Get a good striker in to replace him I think

Was impressed with one of the players on the left, had a really good run in the first half? Unsure on number or name 

But yeah we should be ok. A goal scorer really is the big problem but it’s one many teams have got

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought Ayr looked decent to be honest, think it’s maybe just a step to far for the young lad upfront just now I was actually half hoping the ball getting played to him yesterday when you were in dangerous positions cause I didn’t fancy him to do anything. Get a good striker in to replace him I think

Was impressed with one of the players on the left, had a really good run in the first half? Unsure on number or name 

But yeah we should be ok. A goal scorer really is the big problem but it’s one many teams have got

Totally agree, young Fraser Bryden is promising but he's not ready as a starter and ideally we'd be breaking him in gently with 10 to 15 mins here and there. I think it would be Jayden Mitchel-Lawson that you'd have noticed, he had 2 or 3 good runs and has pace to burn. Still early days but I think he could be a big player for us.

Anyway, I hope you guys have another good season and it was also nice to see a decent travelling support down.

The flash in the pan stuff I think is just some Ayr fans refusing to accept we might have been decent yesterday.

Edit - @WATTOO seems to have already covered this point now that I read the rest of the thread. 

Edited by Hursty