Inverness v QP

I thought overall we probably should have won the game on Saturday but our poor finishing was our downfall. Continue like that and we won't be doing much this season. Oakley's miss was abysmal. I feel Dodds making the subs when he did stalled our momentum. We seemed to be in the ascendancy but after Samuels and Boyd went off Queens Park got back into the game. I could see why Samuels was taken off. He wasn't really influencing the game much but I thought Boyd was going okay. Defensively we looked a bit suspect. A couple of times we allowed Queens Park players to run a good 30 or 40 yards unchallenged before they got a shot away. We paid for it once in the first half and almost did so again in the second. 

Mckay, MacKay and MacGregor all performed well in flashes. Roddy had some lovely touches in the middle of the pitch but I felt he was sitting a little too deep for my liking. Would have been nice to see him pressed further forward. Harper continues to show good form at left back and is looking a lot better defensively so far this season which is great to see.

Queens looked a useful side once they got their goal and settled down but after the opening 15 minutes or so I thought we were going to run away with it. Didn't quite work out like that and Ridgers had to make some important saves in the first half to keep us in it. Big improvements are needed for sure.

Would've liked to have seen us rotate the front, especially in the first half.  Dodds by his own admission sees Boyd as a winger, why start him as a 10 when you have a striker who's clearly out of position out wide?  Mckay is still class but I wonder if he'd be more suited to playing as a 10 now - especially given Samuels looked good even up front on his own.

Delaney has shown a bit of promise so far but he needs someone more stable next to him.  Duffy went walkabout a few times - naively following the ball every time instead of holding his position.  It's a shame we didn't retain Broadfoot or recruit someone more experienced.  I think Devine and Deas would've been the first choice back two anyway but it would've been nice to have someone else we can rely upon.

Edited by Highland Capital

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Duffy went walkabout a few times - naively following the ball every time instead of holding his position.  It's a shame we didn't retain Broadfoot or recruit someone more experienced.  I think Devine and Deas would've been the first choice back two anyway but it would've been nice to have someone else we can rely upon.

Yeah @alsy noticed that at the game on Saturday that Duffy kept drifting out to the right and leaving Delany alone by himself in the middle. The sooner Deas is back the better. On the plus side Harper, as I said, has looked better defensively which is good. Big season for him as well.