Sons vs Binos

The first league meeting between the teams since April 2012 when Dumbarton won 2-1 at Forthbank in the then 2nd division. Both teams left that division in opposite directions that season but we're now back together in L2.

Discuss.

Looking forward to it. I felt we were close in the league cup match, with (imo) Sons just shading the first half and Binos rightly winning with a more dominant second half display. The team we've picked in recent friendlies and the Raith league cup game suggests the team we'll be leaning toward when we play Stirling next Saturday (hopefully), and it's a different lineup than the one which Stirling faced at the rock the other week. Sadly new signing and fast fan favourite Finlay Gray is ineligible for this match, which is a shame as he's been a man to watch of late. Hopefully Albion can put their off field issues behind them and we can see a nice competitive match. Keen to get back to the proper football now.

It's been a good number of years since I was last at The Rock, so looking forward to going somewhere a bit different to what has become the norm. 

The opening game of the season is always one that's gets the excitement butterfly's fluttering away and it's no different this time. I think we should come through with confidence. I was on holiday when we met a few weeks ago, but both teams should have gelled a bit more since then but we obviously got the win, we looked good and got the wins against Raith (all be it via a penalty shoot out) and Peterhead, so no reason to not be confident.

Darren Young will have a selection headache, but for the right reasons. It seemed he knew who his strongest side was up until the Peterhead game, but he switched things up a bit, gave a few people their first starts and boy did they impress, so the starting lineup will be interesting.

Yip, looking forward to getting the season underway and although Dumbarton isn't much to write home about, looking forward to the afternoon at The Rock. 

My big fear here is that in Gray's absence Carswell is moved from central defence back into midfield with McNiff starting at CB - a lose/lose situation for me.

Assuming that doesn't happen then I'd go with Orsi/Blair/McKee/McLean in midfield, Wylde at LB and Love and Wallace up top.

Stirling have started well and beat us convincingly on the opening day - they will arrive full of confidence.

59 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

My big fear here is that in Gray's absence Carswell is moved from central defence back into midfield with McNiff starting at CB - a lose/lose situation for me.

Assuming that doesn't happen then I'd go with Orsi/Blair/McKee/McLean in midfield, Wylde at LB and Love and Wallace up top.

Stirling have started well and beat us convincingly on the opening day - they will arrive full of confidence.

I suspect you're bang on with what Faz will do there and it's also not what I'd do.

I may be tempted to go with a 4-2-3-1, with a back four of Lynas, Buchanan, Carswell, and McNiff/Wylde. A double pivot of Blair and McKee. A 3 of Orsi, Wallace, and Love, with Byrne up top.

The two of Blair and McKee might be a bit lightweight, but Blair did a decent enough job of picking up the ball from opponents in the Raith game. You could replace McKee with either Wilson, but both seem miles off it. Love at this point is an automatic pick for one of the forward roles whatever formation we play. I'd prefer Wallace up top, but the form of the other midfied / attacking midfield options means I'd fancy trying him in the middle of the line of three. Orsi and McLean is a toss up, but I think Orsi is more dependable going backwards than McLean and Orsi can drive us up the pitch, even if his decision making and final ball are suspect. Byrne up top is dictated by shifting Wallace back and little else.

We would need to really work to control the ball to make the above work though.

Edited by GordyBrow

Well lets hope for another away win on Saturday, its going to be tough imo but after defeating Peterhead on Saturday the guys will be full of confidence. Would quite happy settle for another 2-1 win. 

Forgot Darren Young was manager at Stirling now. What a greetin' faced wee dick he is 😂

Anyway, this could go any way really. There is a bit of a buzz for both sides at the moment given some recent results and performances. Would take a scraped 1 goal victory now but just hope we (Faz) gets the selection and tactics right and we give a good account of ourselves.

Chances are it could be the opposite and we anti-football our way to a 0-3 defeat... but I'm optimistic (not the user) because it's the first game of the season and that means I should be positive for little to no reason whatsoever.

First goal in this will be crucial. By and large we're half decent at getting a win when we get our noses in front - but we're also really poor at turning a game around after falling behind. As shown in the last meeting of the sides.

Finlay Gray being out is a massive blow. He's been tremendous in the last three games and played a huge part in the results being more positive. I like the way he works with Joe McKee and Ryan Blair too. They all compliment each other quite nicely.

Anyway. I'd be tempted to go for something like this. I'm not Kalvin Orsi's biggest fan, but we're limited in options and he'll do his defensive job fairly well. Wallace and Love look on a similar wavelength and should cause problems, and Love can also drop back into midfield if it looks as if we'll be overrun. Which is a risk. In fact the whole front four should be fairly fluid.

Brett Long

Aron Lynas Gregor Buchanan Stuart Carswell Gregg Wylde

Ryan Blair Joe McKee

Kalvin Orsi Ally Love Ross MacLean

Ryan Wallace

After the way we started last season I won't be getting carried away regardless of the result. But it would be nice to win a home league game that matters again.

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

First goal in this will be crucial. By and large we're half decent at getting a win when we get our noses in front - but we're also really poor at turning a game around after falling behind. As shown in the last meeting of the sides.

Finlay Gray being out is a massive blow. He's been tremendous in the last three games and played a huge part in the results being more positive. I like the way he works with Joe McKee and Ryan Blair too. They all compliment each other quite nicely.

Anyway. I'd be tempted to go for something like this. I'm not Kalvin Orsi's biggest fan, but we're limited in options and he'll do his defensive job fairly well. Wallace and Love look on a similar wavelength and should cause problems, and Love can also drop back into midfield if it looks as if we'll be overrun. Which is a risk. In fact the whole front four should be fairly fluid.

Brett Long

Ryan Blair Joe McKee

Ryan Wallace

After the way we started last season I won't be getting carried away regardless of the result. But it would be nice to win a home league game that matters again.

Aye you will 🤣

On 25/07/2022 at 09:16, Jan Vojáček said:

Brett Long

Ryan Blair Joe McKee

Ryan Wallace

Assuming none of the players mentioned on the preview are out this is what I'd be going for tomorrow. I really hope we don't try that midfield we used against Stirling in the cup game again expecting a different result. 

Chose to miss the league cup games so this is first time this season.

hoping with the retained players down a level and new guys we are at least competitive this year especially at home . 2 wins against bottom team and a end of season gsme not good enough.

as always I go tomorrow with some optimism that we can get off to a good start 

I can see Faz starting McNiff and moving Carswell into midfield, probably at the expense of Joe McKee. I hope not, it would be nice to have a central midfield that can actually pass the ball and utilise Wallace properly by playing through the lines instead of having him chase balls into the channels or watch it fly over his head. 

Stirling have had a good League Cup and will fancy themselves to challenge for the league, if we want to lay down a marker of our intentions then a win tomorrow is a good way of doing it. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I can see Faz starting McNiff and moving Carswell into midfield, probably at the expense of Joe McKee. I hope not, it would be nice to have a central midfield that can actually pass the ball and utilise Wallace properly by playing through the lines instead of having him chase balls into the channels or watch it fly over his head. 

Stirling have had a good League Cup and will fancy themselves to challenge for the league, if we want to lay down a marker of our intentions then a win tomorrow is a good way of doing it. 

You have just given a very good explanation of why your opening sentence should chill the blood of every Sons fan.

Carswell looks to have the potential to emulate Mark Clougherty all those years ago by moving back from midfield into a central defensive role, and Blair looks well capable of doing the midfield holding role.

We did pretty well in the first half of the cup game, but Stirling Albion were the better team in the 2nd half and deserved their win. I really liked the way Robert Thomson lead the line against us and felt that we lacked that kind of smart play up front. He held the ball well, made a nuisance of himself for our defenders and carried a goal threat from open play or set pieces. I don;t know that we've got that kind of focal point to our attack? We started last season without a recognised main striker and it didnt hurt us at all - that Clyde game to open last season was as good as I've seen us play for quite a long time. Unfortunately it went off the boil and Farrell lost confidence in the players to play that kind of high pressing game. 

I kind of feel a similar way about us going into the league opener tomorrow. We've got goals in us. McLean, Wallace, Love, Orsi and McKee should all be able to contribute. If one isnt scoring then we've got others who can. But we don;t have an out and out target man who'll lead the line or be the focus for attacks. I wouldn't put it past us to win tomorrow, and to win convincingly. I also wouldn't put it past us to lose confidence around mid October again and to struggle for form.

Its a bit of a concern that you can look at our squad on paper and struggle to pick the ideal starting 11 and formation. Hopefully by 4:50 tomorrow afternoon we'll have a better idea of who our key players are going to be.