Dundee FC Vs Patrick Thistle - Opening Day - 30/07/22

Jesus, I really didn't think this thread could get any worse.

Thistle's demotion/relegation: Anybody saying "you were shite, so you deserved to go down" is either at the wind up or really doesn't understand how football works. Given the games left to play, who we had left to play, the shiteness of teams around us and the fact we finished 6th the previous season, having been even more shiterer than the season in question, points towards an unfair decision. Also, and I am happy to be corrected, but I think I am right in saying - of the five teams at the bottom of the English Championship when football stopped - none of them were relegated. Proving fortunes do change. So please, change the fuckin record.

On the flip side of that, it has gone. It's history. For both the striker and the manager to bring it up post game at the weekend is pretty embarrassing. Thistle went to Dens Park on Saturday and won the game. It's three points for Christ's sake, nothing more, and our camp is declaring it justice for the injustice. 

If they still feel that badly about it they should be using it as determination to get the heads down and doing everything they can to beat Dundee to the league title. Instead, we're running about with the first day of the season trophy above our heads, looking like fannies.

24 minutes ago, Jag71 said:

Thistle's demotion/relegation: Anybody saying "you were shite, so you deserved to go down" is either at the wind up or really doesn't understand how football works. Given the games left to play, who we had left to play, the shiteness of teams around us and the fact we finished 6th the previous season

What does this have to do with anything?

There is clutching at straws and then there is this. You were relegated as at that point in time you were deserving to be relegated.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

There is clutching at straws and then there is this. You were relegated as at that point in time you were deserving to be relegated.

I rest my case.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

At the risk of going over a subject that has been done near to death already the point I suspect that Jag71 is trying to make is that going into the final game of the previous season we sat, to the best of my recollection, 8th and could have finished in any position between 5th and 9th inclusive. We finished 6th. 

It demonstrates that promotions and relegations shouldn't be atrbitrarily applied at some point in a season but only when every team has completed their fixtures. 

We sat 10th when Covid brought the 2019-2020 season to an end. No one is arguing that we weren't a desperately poor side and had the season been played to a finish and had that position remained unaltered that we wouldn't have richly deserved relegation. 

But we sat just a point or two off 9th, and with a game in hand. Avoiding relegation was still something very much in our own hands. 

These issues should be settled on the football pitch. 

The world went a bit nuts in March 2020. Nobody knew what was going to happen or how long our lives would be curtailed for. Scottish football was left in a horrible position but if you can be sure of one thing it's that Scottish football will act of out of self interest and when you throw in a whiff of malfeasance and missing emails you can understand why it still rankles a bit over 2 years later. 

It is, probably, time to draw a line under it and move on. We've "taken our medicine" and we're back to a more acceptable position in Scottish football, Hearts haven't suffered unduly through their demotion and Queen of the South are languishing in the third tier a level I personally hope they will fester in for years to come and it was nice to leave Dens with the points at the weekend. 

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Maybe if your board hadn't appointed a fucking disaster of a manager in Gary Caldwell and managed to pick up more wins than 6 in 27 fucking attempts you'd maybe not be as raging at Dundee who were one of the other 34 clubs out of 42 that voted that way.

10th March the league had its last game yet you lads hadn't won a game since the 28th December yet we are to blame.

Shameless.

Bloody hell, man. 

17 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Bloody hell, man. 

Truth hurts, I know.

Anyways, let's get past this. Build up to our respective clubs' next game is starting.

I'll stick up for them here, the only selling point for them being sandwiched between the bigot brothers is that they're the hipster club.

Can't just say they're a normal club for anyone who doesn't support bigotry as they'd be attacked from both sides.

14 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

A fine victory deserves at least one more post, well done my Thistle friends, make sure those loons stay down and hope to see you all next season. Love a pregame pint in The Doublet. 

Frustrated World Cup GIF

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

And to think, the season started off with this car crash of a thread.

Was good to read again though, from around page 22.

I fairness to the many decent Thistle fans on here at the time of this thread some were suffering from that well known condition ESDD (Early Season Delusional Disorder).

Can prove to be extremely contagious if not treated by reasoned comments from opposition fans.   I’d like to think we played our part in helping them.

Thank you.