Dundee FC Vs Patrick Thistle - Opening Day - 30/07/22

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I get what you're saying, but these were unforced errors that a Junior club would be able to take advantage of.

That probably suggests that your team is shite and that it therefore won't finish above teams that take advantage of such mistakes.

Too bad. Too bad.

Better Luck Next Time Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just in case any Thistle supporters are unaware we were missing our first pick keeper and had young Harry Sharp in goals (21) who has played about 12 games in his career. We were missing McGhee and Ashcroft, on top of McGowan, all 3 definite starters in our first 11. On top of that Rudden is coming back from injury, hence on the bench and Cillian Sheridan is not back from his snapped achilles. So other than 5/6 definite starters we were at full strength.

It’s a very good result for Thistle whom I like a lot, and McCall who I think is an excellent manager. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We were pretty comfortably the better side for most of the game. I’ll accept that the second goal was an utter gift that I’d expect every team in the division to take advantage of, but the first and third goals, while obviously have elements of poor defending/luck, came from good bits of play from us. The one that hit the bar was another very nice move, and really should have been a goal.

Genuinely, I can think of one decent chance that Dundee created from open play - the one cut back that the boy put over the bar. Other than that, it was set pieces and efforts from positions you’re very unlikely to score from.

And crucially, our defence, despite it having a right back at centre back and an attacking midfielder at right back, didn’t make many mistakes, and when they did, Dundee weren’t able to capitalise on them. I don’t think we were outstanding yesterday, but we were better than Dundee were.

All about opinion really and I guess we just viewed the game differently. Apart from our defensive mistakes I think we got the majority of our set plays completely wrong by having McMullan deliver them all, because we had so many of them, it really infuriated me.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

That probably suggests that your team is shite and that it therefore won't finish above teams that take advantage of such mistakes.

Too bad. Too bad.

Better Luck Next Time Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Or you could look at it another way and that suggests that your team is shite and requires these mistakes in order to take advantage.

42 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Just my opinion of course, but take away our errors and we win that comfortably.

Well aye, and if we also take away us conceding two corners late on the game would’ve finished 0-0. 
Only 1 stat that actually matters of course 😎

Edited by JagsCG

I was feeling quite optimistic this morning after winning our first game of the season away to the title favourites, who had been playing scintillating passing football under superstar new manager Gary Bowyer. Glad I've read this thread though to discover we're actually mince. Hope we can steer clear of relegation this year. 

Just now, Virtual Insanity said:

I was feeling quite optimistic this morning after winning our first game of the season away to the title favourites, who had been playing scintillating passing football under superstar new manager Gary Bowyer. Glad I've read this thread though to discover we're actually mince. Hope we can steer clear of relegation this year. 

Me too, because believe it or not, I actually quite like Thistle and have the upmost respect for supporters from Glasgow who chose not to ride the bigot train, hunting for glory.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Partick took their chances well but I'm not so sure it was down to them being brilliant or us just not turning up for the first hour. Anyone making predictions for the league based on yesterday's match needs their head examined - there's still 4 weeks to go till the transfer window closes - both teams will no doubt strengthen. Yesterday should be a kick up the arse for any complacency - this has always been a Jurassic tar pit of a league to get out of.

You don’t win a league on the first day of the season, nor do you lose one - Cliche but true. No one from a Thistle persuasion thinks it’s won and no one from a Dundee persuasion thinks it’s lost, or at least they ought not to. Given many of the comments on this thread pre-match (some of which looks even more funny after the event) the post-match stuff was always going to be lively whoever won the game. The only thing I disagree with is that we’ll strengthen in the next month - we won’t. Our squad is done bar some loan cover in defence, still got a few players to get back fit however. 

24 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Just in case any Thistle supporters are unaware we were missing our first pick keeper and had young Harry Sharp in goals (21) who has played about 12 games in his career. We were missing McGhee and Ashcroft, on top of McGowan, all 3 definite starters in our first 11. On top of that Rudden is coming back from injury, hence on the bench and Cillian Sheridan is not back from his snapped achilles. So other than 5/6 definite starters we were at full strength.

It’s a very good result for Thistle whom I like a lot, and McCall who I think is an excellent manager. Good luck.

It was an OK game between 2 decent teams feeling their way into a new season missing players in some key positions for one reason or another.

I don't think any Thistle fan looking at our lineup before the game would have been 100% confident in getting a result, so to GET one is a bonus that we are happy to accept.

Dundee still the favourites for the league, but the hubris of some isn't very edifying. 

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Or you could look at it another way and that suggests that your team is shite and requires these mistakes in order to take advantage.

We scored three goals away from home against the bookies’ favourites for the title, and both goals conceded were from set-pieces with a make-shift defence owing to injuries.

We’re doing absolutely fine.

PS could you please bottle your salty tears and send them to Firhill Stadium?

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aye.  Sorry about that.  How was Cole McKinnon today?

Really excellent in the first half, faded a bit in the second as we saw less of the ball. If he keeps playing like that he'll start every week for us though, miles ahead of the shite you have saddled us over the  years (Mayo excepted). 

It will be a long season forum wise having to deal with these Partick roasters.

Not a hope in hell will they finish above Dundee... opening day win and they are frothing away and puffing their chests out

Bookmark this you bunch of mutants....  Dundee will finish above Partick

1 minute ago, Denspark1893 said:

Not a hope in hell will they finish above Dundee... opening day win and they are frothing away and puffing their chests out

giphy-downsized.gif

23 minutes ago, Denspark1893 said:

Maybe, but

YPPI2Q6DAz4CohnPDD.gif

54 minutes ago, Denspark1893 said:

D67C8434-4B72-40AD-A83A-5B273F2FB1C7.jpeg