Dundee FC Vs Patrick Thistle - Opening Day - 30/07/22

8 hours ago, OnlyteaminGlasgow said:

I think it was not a wise idea to sub Bannigan, it invited more pressure on our makeshift defence.

Had he not been subbed, Bannigan was absolutely getting sent off yesterday. I thought he was a wee bit fortunate to not have already been off by that point. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The absolute state some of those above have got into. Quoting me at 5am and everything. :lol:

The absolute mess you and Johnny Dung have got into throughout this thread beggars belief. Take the beating/thrashing/whooping, like a man/boy.Its a bit concerning that both of you issue greenies to nearly every post you both make, still each to his own!!

Edited by Sting777

46 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Had he not been subbed, Bannigan was absolutely getting sent off yesterday. I thought he was a wee bit fortunate to not have already been off by that point. 

Agreed. He was lucky to be on the pitch when he got subbed!!

The absolute state some of those above have got into. Quoting me at 5am and everything. [emoji38]
There's 3 posters in particular who are complete arseholes.

Back to the game - the biggest worry for me was Tyler French - not just because of how he was playing - but because it indicates to me that Bowyer may have seriously underestimated the level of the Scottish Championship. Some players also need to take a hard look at themselves - missing one player (Adam last season. McGowan yesterday) shouldn't mean the team falls to bits like it did.

Partick took their chances well but I'm not so sure it was down to them being brilliant or us just not turning up for the first hour. Anyone making predictions for the league based on yesterday's match needs their head examined - there's still 4 weeks to go till the transfer window closes - both teams will no doubt strengthen. Yesterday should be a kick up the arse for any complacency - this has always been a Jurassic tar pit of a league to get out of.

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

What in particular did you disagree with? I think any rational football fans can see who deserved to win the game today.

It was one way traffic towards your goal the whole second half.

That's a fact.

Thank you.

Promising start considering we had 6 new signings starting and our best player from last season was on the bench. Thought all 6 of the new signings played well and you'd hope they'd only get better with more time together. I still think we'll struggle to win the league if we persist with Bannigan and Docherty as first choices in central midfield. 

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Partick took their chances well but I'm not so sure it was down to them being brilliant or us just not turning up for the first hour. Anyone making predictions for the league based on yesterday's match needs their head examined - there's still 4 weeks to go till the transfer window closes - both teams will no doubt strengthen. Yesterday should be a kick up the arse for any complacency - this has always been a Jurassic tar pit of a league to get out of.

Bit of sense at last! Don’t think any Thistle supporter thinks the league is won based on yesterday but what it did do was shut up your supporters that thought this league was going to be a cakewalk and that you would go undefeated throughout the season. It’s never an easy league to get out of! Other than maybe a loan to cover our beleaguered central defence I don’t see us doing any other transfer business but can see you lot bringing a few more in based on your performance yesterday. Plenty of twists and turns ahead but both sides are certs for the play off’s minimum!

Only people talking rubbish has been you and Johnny Dung!! At least most of the other Dungdee supporters that were predicting a thrashing and their team going undefeated for the whole season have had the sense to keep their traps shut after that thrashing!!

100% agree. By no mean is the league won on day one or anything close to it. But the arrogance of these 2 all week and constant rubbish patter attempting to be funny to then lose is hilarious. What’s more hilarious is they will still defend a loss at home in pure denial and then get all sore about it and start playing the victims “the state of some jags fans on here”. Take a look at yourself all week buddy.

Don't see how I was having a 'minter' or 'in a complete mess' because I saw the game differently from Thistle fans.

We were not 'thrashed', yes losing 3 goals at home is not great, however to put a different spin on things and to see it not through red and yellow tinted specs.. Thistle's 3 goals came from, a huge deflection and 2 really wild defensive errors, apart from hitting the crossbar, Thistle never really threatened. We had more shots, corners, also hit the frame of the goal and (although I can't find it anywhere) I would imagine we had more possession, so hardly a thrashing, we only lost by 1 goal.

Don't get me wrong it is a great result for Thistle and a bad result for Dundee, and in the end that's all that matters. But if Thistle see this as a great performance by them, then they are sadly mistaken imo.

Just my opinion of course, but take away our errors and we win that comfortably.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Don't see how I was having a 'minter' or 'in a complete mess' because I saw the game differently from Thistle fans.

We were not 'thrashed', yes losing 3 goals at home is not great, however to put a different spin on things and to see it not through red and yellow tinted specs.. Thistle's 3 goals came from, a huge deflection and 2 really wild defensive errors, apart from hitting the crossbar, Thistle never really threatened. We had more shots, corners, also hit the frame of the goal and (although I can't find it anywhere) I would imagine we had more possession, so hardly a thrashing, we only lost by 1 goal.

Don't get me wrong it is a great result for Thistle and a bad result for Dundee, and in the end that's all that matters. But if Thistle see this as a great performance by them, then they are sadly mistaken imo.

Just my opinion of course, but take away our errors and we win that comfortably.

In many ways I agree with you - we didn't really threaten at all in this away win apart from the three goals we scored, oh and and hitting the crossbar. 

And yeah, if Dundee had made no errors, they would have won comfortably. In fact, I'd go further and say if Dundee win all the rest of their games this season, resulting in promotion and do the same again for two further seasons with no errors in their performances, they will win the Champions League. 

Danke Schoen.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

That’s like me saying if you take away Dundees set pieces we won that 3-0 but I wouldn’t say something that stupid. 

1 minute ago, VictorOnopko said:

In many ways I agree with you - we didn't really threaten at all in this away win apart from the three goals we scored, oh and and hitting the crossbar. 

And yeah, if Dundee had made no errors, they would have won comfortably. In fact, I'd go further and say if Dundee win all the rest of their games this season, resulting in promotion and do the same again for two further seasons with no errors in their performances, they will win the Champions League. 

Danke Schoen.

I get what you're saying, but these were unforced errors that a Junior club would be able to take advantage of.

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's 3 posters in particular who are complete arseholes.

Back to the game - the biggest worry for me was Tyler French - not just because of how he was playing - but because it indicates to me that Bowyer may have seriously underestimated the level of the Scottish Championship. Some players also need to take a hard look at themselves - missing one player (Adam last season. McGowan yesterday) shouldn't mean the team falls to bits like it did.

Unfortunately, the thread seems riddled with them.

I expected a few more signings from Dundee before end of window but yesterday may expedite them. Bowyer may have needed yesterday as wake up call.

Agree, Thistle weren't brilliant yesterday. However, we were away from home on the first day of new campaign to a side that was playing in the Premier League last season and kept the vast majority of their squad (who did Dundee lose of note, Adam?). The league favourites with a big home support. Six of the Thistle starting line up were making their league debuts for McCall and it is a relatively new team. We had three central defenders out, played an attacking midfielder at right back, and two natural full backs at centre back (albeit Holt will play there more often than not, now that Milne has signed). Yet we deservedly won. 

We only have to strengthen in one position, McCall has stated that we are bringing in a defender on loan and no more. We changed our entire front three yesterday and still had Mullen on the bench. Tiffoney isn't fit yet but was the best player in the league pre Christmas last year. If we can get defender in quickly to cover mini injury crisis we will be pretty strong. I certainly wouldn't use yesterday's game to make predictions on the league season but I can look at the signings we have made and the depth of our squad compared to last year and I know it is way better.

Yes, we weren't brilliant yesterday. We could be soon though.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

We were pretty comfortably the better side for most of the game. I’ll accept that the second goal was an utter gift that I’d expect every team in the division to take advantage of, but the first and third goals, while obviously have elements of poor defending/luck, came from good bits of play from us. The one that hit the bar was another very nice move, and really should have been a goal.

Genuinely, I can think of one decent chance that Dundee created from open play - the one cut back that the boy put over the bar. Other than that, it was set pieces and efforts from positions you’re very unlikely to score from.

And crucially, our defence, despite it having a right back at centre back and an attacking midfielder at right back, didn’t make many mistakes, and when they did, Dundee weren’t able to capitalise on them. I don’t think we were outstanding yesterday, but we were better than Dundee were.