Dundee FC Vs Patrick Thistle - Opening Day - 30/07/22

A big one to start. Reckon Partick Thistle alongside Inverness and ourselves are the top 3 contenders for the title. Both of us have strolled through our League Cup groups and now time to face each other. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Ludo*1

I would definitely encourage any Dundee fan that’s stayed away for a few years to come to this match.  I know the opposition hasn’t been the best so far but we have definitely played some of the quickest passing football I’ve seen in a long time at Dens.  Looks like every player has been encouraged to be positive in their play.  Long may it continue.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Be a hard game. McCall knows this level inside out, he's not an idiot like McIntyre or Coyle.

Thank you.

Yeah, totally agree. This would be a great 3 points. Would love to see making a strong start, rather our normal shitey one. 

Very happy with our start to the season so far and am looking forward to this game with a belief that we are the favourites, but Partick have undoubtedly had a decent start themselves and will be our biggest test this season in the league. Still feel confident we should win if we keep playing with the same intensity, but it certainly will be a closely-fought affair. Jakubiak is finally hitting form for us which is great, though we'll need him to do that in the league. Hopefully we get in a striker this week alongside him and Rudden so that we have some decent forward depth, something Partick have more of than we do.

Don't know whether it's a good thing or not this game is week 1, but can't change it and -touch wood- we should have very close to a full squad for it which we probably wouldn't have if it was 6 or 7 weeks in.

Jakubiak going from playing well for us but not being able to buy a goal to a Lewandowski-esque scoring rate so far this season isn't ideal, and McCall is still trying to figure out our best centre half pairing so can't see us keeping a clean sheet, but we do have far better attacking options this season out wide both at full back and winger than last season's plan of "give the ball to Tiffoney and hope" plus more depth up front if Graham isn't getting success. Can see there being a few goals.

So with that in mind, back a 0-0.

Got to say , there's plenty of diddies in this league who i'll give no credit to but Partick aren't one of them. 

Decent wee club with some tradition living on the banks of the vile sisters of the City. Would expect a decent crowd on opening day from them and should be a good atmosphere. 

Two clubs in decent form and can never forget Jagfox's shout out to my undeservedly banned 'phoenix of the ashes' account at half time at the Firhill.

Roll on this season, win lose or draw in this particular game i see a good  season ahead for the mighty Dee under Bowyer. 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Don't know whether it's a good thing or not this game is week 1, but can't change it and -touch wood- we should have very close to a full squad for it which we probably wouldn't have if it was 6 or 7 weeks in.

Jakubiak going from playing well for us but not being able to buy a goal to a Lewandowski-esque scoring rate so far this season isn't ideal, and McCall is still trying to figure out our best centre half pairing so can't see us keeping a clean sheet, but we do have far better attacking options this season out wide both at full back and winger than last season's plan of "give the ball to Tiffoney and hope" plus more depth up front if Graham isn't getting success. Can see there being a few goals.

So with that in mind, back a 0-0.

season 7 GIF

Should be a good day out for the Whistle fans. Get to see life in the big smoke and what real universities look like. Come 3:20pm though the realisation will set in at another long hard season ahead as you go four down.

Enjoy the trip home, guys. 

#KodakMoments.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Should be a good day out for the Whistle fans. Get to see life in the big smoke and what real universities look like. Come 3:20pm though the realisation will set in at another long hard season ahead as you go four down.

Enjoy the trip home, guys. 

#KodakMoments.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I predict that McCall will be the 3rd DAB c**t manager to crumble under the might of the Derry steamroller.

giphy (5).gif

Thistle will be up there end of the season (behind us of course). 

I’ll go 2-1 Dees (Mullen for Thistle).

@jagfox to be bought a few foams in The Clep before and after the game. 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Thistle will be up there end of the season (behind us of course). 

I’ll go 2-1 Dees (Mullen for Thistle).

@jagfox to be bought a few foams in The Clep before and after the game. 

Thank you. 

Bus stopping at Cabbie club before match if any cunto wants a rumble or a hug.

Thank you.

Difficult one to call, both teams did well in the League Cup groups but in the past that is shown often to mean little in terms of league business (for example, Dunfermline last season). Jakubiak seems to have been key for Dundee recently at least on the goalscoring front so given he's an ex-Jag I expect him to get at least 1 on Saturday. I still don't think everything has quite clicked for us yet but the signs are clearly there particularly going forward - bit different in defence and I'd be unsure how we'll line up in central defence it's likely to be Kevin Holt + 1 other. Midfield should be interesting for us too because Kyle Turner and Cole McKinnon have been impressive in the early games and Docherty & Bannigan would previously have been seen as a crucial players by McCall in this type of tie (maybe still are!)

18 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

If these lads are looking for a gig next week may i recommend Caws Bar opposite the Wellgate. 

Sure to receive a once in a lifetime welcome from the locals. 

Thank you. 

Wouldn't expect to see Hyyts in Dundee next week, ruins the illusion a bit but they aren't actually Thistle fans. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Difficult one to call, both teams did well in the League Cup groups but in the past that is shown often to mean little in terms of league business (for example, Dunfermline last season). Jakubiak seems to have been key for Dundee recently at least on the goalscoring front so given he's an ex-Jag I expect him to get at least 1 on Saturday. I still don't think everything has quite clicked for us yet but the signs are clearly there particularly going forward - bit different in defence and I'd be unsure how we'll line up in central defence it's likely to be Kevin Holt + 1 other. Midfield should be interesting for us too because Kyle Turner and Cole McKinnon have been impressive in the early games and Docherty & Bannigan would previously have been seen as a crucial players by McCall in this type of tie (maybe still are!)

Wouldn't expect to see Hyyts in Dundee next week, ruins the illusion a bit but they aren't actually Thistle fans. 

I think the midfield 3 will be Docherty, Bannigan and McKinnon and also a fair chance Smith starts on the left wing with Tiffoney (due to lack of match fitness), Turner, and Fitzpatrick on the bench. I just have a feeling McCall will go as cautious as possible. 

Is it still 5 subs in the league this year? 

Edited by Fuctifano