Premier Sports Cup 2nd Round Draw

On 24/07/2022 at 18:49, ScoRoss said:

Why do they make half the seeded teams play away games? Either have all the seeded teams have home games or don't bother with the seedings.

Before they decided to stop the league cup in France I believe the seeded teams used to always be away from home up to a certain point and it made for more upsets than the Coupe de France. An interesting idea.

21 hours ago, The Master said:

FYhV8dGWIAII4JN.jpg 

No surprise with the televised games. Obviously there’s better games that Rangers v Queen of the South, but Premier’s MO is well-known by now. I suppose we can hope that Viaplay have a different perspective when they take over, but I don’t hold out much hope.

To be fair I saw a few OF fans questioning why their games were picked as there is more exciting ties. Premier are a business and need to get as many viewers as possible but why is there not a balance being struck with TV companies by the governing bodies that demand that more coverage is being given to other clubs? Even if it takes a slight hit on the value of the deal (which is not that great anyway) they should be pushing to show 1 OF game and 1 other tie in this round. 

2 hours ago, ahemps said:

To be fair I saw a few OF fans questioning why their games were picked as there is more exciting ties. Premier are a business and need to get as many viewers as possible but why is there not a balance being struck with TV companies by the governing bodies that demand that more coverage is being given to other clubs? Even if it takes a slight hit on the value of the deal (which is not that great anyway) they should be pushing to show 1 OF game and 1 other tie in this round. 

I'm guessing it's not resisted because the governing bodies have much the same vision of our game and its value as the TV companies.

6 hours ago, ahemps said:

Before they decided to stop the league cup in France I believe the seeded teams used to always be away from home up to a certain point and it made for more upsets than the Coupe de France. An interesting idea.

The DFB Pokal always has teams in the Bundesliga & 2. Bundesliga play away from home (unless drawn against each other) right up until the final.

It also has all qualified teams involved from Round 1.

No replays.

It always produces some interesting results.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 14:35, ahemps said:

On 26/07/2022 at 20:50, Todd_is_God said:

The DFB Pokal always has teams in the Bundesliga & 2. Bundesliga play away from home (unless drawn against each other) right up until the final.

I hadn't realised this ... it's an interesting approach, helping to reduce the massive inherent advantage that the big teams have.

However, whilst this maybe sounds attractive from a sporting balance point of view, I doubt that it would find any favours with most of the diddy club chairmen up here - most want to draw either of the OF at either Ibrox or Parkhead so that they land a bigger gate share payment.  In other words financial necessity trumps any attempt to address the sporting imbalance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2022 at 14:35, DiegoDiego said:

It'd probably end up something like the Coppa Italia with the higher ranked team at home and the top four entering at the quarter-final stage.

I would not be against that for the Scottish Cup especially this year with Celtic & Rangers in the Champions League 

On 12/08/2022 at 13:32, Otis Blue said:

I hadn't realised this ... it's an interesting approach, helping to reduce the massive inherent advantage that the big teams have.

However, whilst this maybe sounds attractive from a sporting balance point of view, I doubt that it would find any favours with most of the diddy club chairmen up here - most want to draw either of the OF at either Ibrox or Parkhead so that they land a bigger gate share payment.  In other words financial necessity trumps any attempt to address the sporting imbalance.

Yeah but Premier Sports would love it.

Rangers and Celtic away games are an extra 50,000 regular fans that can't be in the ground and have to resort to watching on TV

10 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Yeah but Premier Sports would love it.

Rangers and Celtic away games are an extra 50,000 regular fans that can't be in the ground and have to resort to watching on TV

Aye very true, and of course if the TV companies were in favour of it (OF to be away from home in early cup rounds) then that would certainly trump the wishes of the diddy clubs (for the chance of drawing either of the OF at Ibrox or Parkhead).

Sadly, football is now effectively controlled by TV cash to such an extent that the gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots" is now so great that its virtually impossible now for diddies to harbour much hope of breaking through the glass ceiling.  Some will say this is progress (allowing the top clubs to attract even better players) but others will think it effectively sterilises the competitive nature of the game.