The WSC Questions 22-23: Championship edition

Every year When Saturday Comes produces a season guide written by fans using 5 questions, with one of them being fairly random. As ever, they only do the top flight up here but I'm always interested to hear what others think - please add your thoughts.

How will you do?

This will largely depend on how things look after the window closes. We should be ok, but I'd not be surprised to end up looking at "which two teams below us need to keep losing?" again this season.

What was last season's best moment?

The overdue departure of Gus and the arrival of Imrie. Other than his role in keeping us up, I can't imagine any other manager yelling "f**kin' miss it ya big c**t" at a Motherwell player about to take a penalty.

What was last season's worst moment?

The 6-1 home defeat by Inverness seems a bit obvious, but we were rudderless at the time and everything they hit seemed to go in. For me, it was the 3-0 defeat at Firhill early in the season - a very tough watch.

Which former player would you like to see involved at your club?

This will be very much an age thing. I enjoyed Andy Ritchie's co-commentary during lockdown (his muttered "Aw f**k off" as Dundee equalised was a particular highlight) and gather he is still involved with hospitality. The club do still manage to get former players back and onto the park at HT so I'd like to see this continue at least.

What was the most surprising thing that happened at your club last season?

Getting the cup draw that absolutely nobody wanted (ICT away) and somehow contriving to get a draw out of it and winning the replay on penalties. Going in front at Motherwell would be a close second.

How will you do?

We will win this league, the proficiency of a new striker will determine if this is at a canter or not.

What was last season's best moment?

Mark McGhee keeping his clothes on.

What was last season's worst moment?

Hiring Mark McGhee.

I am starting to turn really against this, it mostly never works out. Thankfully the club is doing the same, but if I had to choose then, probably Jason Cummings, he never got a chance ahead of Griffiths. You never know, he might end up doing something wild in Oz and asked to leave the country.

Nothing at all, I support Dundee FFS. If the season went without some kind of controversy then that would be surprising.

How will you do?

Depends upon whether we are going to continue the season with bloody midfielders in defence and up front.  Murray needs to get the finger oot and sign players to play in proper positions.
4th if we do.  7th if we don't.

Getting shot of the most over rated 'manager' in Raith Rovers history.  Had 2 good seasons in 9.  

Signing a rapist.  Knackered up decades of hard work trying to establish the club in the community.  Thankfully most of the perpetrators are gone except the owner, and unfortunately the dirty b*****d himself is still drawing a wage but thankfully will never wear the srtip.

Jock McStay.  The stands could do with painting!  :P

Winning the guffy cup despite having McGlynn  as manager.

How will you do?

Transfer window not shut yet and one of our players hasn't arrived yet but if anything the team looks worse than last year so that can only leave dreaming of 8th place once again.  At the moment, down in last place.  

Hard to pick between it finally being over, Hopkin quitting or Duffy being sacked.  All were great events.  

The 15 minutes I watched those losers running about chasing Kilmarnock players in the final derby. 

Alex Ferguson could do a job imo :lol:

We did not get relegated despite failing to win for 7 games out of the final 8.  

How will you do?

I have a nagging doubt that we will never achieve promotion under McCall, however we seem to have recruited well and I feel we are looking at a top 3 finish. The higher the better obviously. I think second is attainable and the title depends on what Dundee turns up this season.

Last game I enjoyed was a 1-0 win down at Kilmarnock around Boxing Day. At home it was probably our 3-2 win over QoS right at the start of the season.

What was last season's worst moment?

When the pitch started a downward descent and sucked the life and entertainment factor out of home games. For a very good home record it was such a chore to actually go to games earlier this year.

Are there any left we haven't signed? 

Nothing stands out as particularly surprising.

Early cup exits? ✅

Scraped the playoffs and fell at first hurdle? ✅

McCall signing best player available as opposed to players to play specific positions? ✅

How will you do?
Still able to bring players in which is a good thing as we still need two or three starters in key positions. Depending on how good they are I think we could finish around 5th but I think it’s more likely we’ll finish 6th-7th. If we don’t sign these players then it’ll be another season of trying to finish 8th and probably finishing bottom two.

Last seasons best moment?
Literally telling David Hopkin to GTF at home against Raith whilst down to nine men and him duly complying the following day and going in the huff.

Last seasons worst moment?
Losing 3-0 to the worst team in the league in Dumfries was an embarrassment. As was the 3-1 derby at Somerset. The most anger inducing game was probably losing 2-1 to Dunfermline on the third last game after we absolutely pummelled them. Funny seeing them thinking they were nearly safe and still seeing them go down.

Which former player would you like to see at the club?
AFAIK we don’t have anyone in football that’s doing well in management. Some would probably take McCall back but that’s a bad idea for a number of reasons. I still maintain that Peter Murphy would’ve been a good choice to be our manager and he’s just went and won his LC group this season but who knows. As long as Moffat never ever leaves the club I’ll be happy.

Most surprising moment?
The appointment of Mathie was a bit of a surprise as we were genuinely on a huge downward spiral and looked to have zero direction as a club. He’s still got a fair bit to prove but I think we’ll be fine under him. Staying up didn’t surprise me as I always thought we would.

How will you do?

Anything less than top 4 will be a failure given the "on paper" improvement in the squad over the summer, however it doesn't always work like that. Hopefully top 2 at least to give ourselves half a chance in the playoffs.

Scudding Hamilton 6-1, the second half was one of those rare occasions where everything came off and the opposition capitulated, still slightly annoyed we stopped at 6.

Probably the continued fucking around with the transfer of Colin Weir's shares, hopefully that gets resolved ASAP and Low can take her PR spin elsewhere. On the field probably the same Hamilton team pumping us 4-0 at Firhill a few months later, was clear at that point we weren't going up regardless of finishing in the playoff positions.

As jagfox said, I think we've signed them all. Guess the unrealistic one would be Liam Lindsay back, although I am still very surprised Kris Doolan didn't get the head of youth academy job which may even have been a bit too "jobs for the boys" for us. Failing that I'd like to see Miles Storey executed in the centre circle.

We won a league match on live TV for the first time in nearly 30 attempts. Then won another couple for good measure.

How will you do?
I'm expecting 4th at best, to 7th or 8th at worst. We're still due to bring in as few as two players although it's become a bit of a protracted saga. Our signings so far have generally been met with a positive reception. We're still awaiting four players returning from long term injuries in the shape of Matthews, Spencer, Lang and Vaughan. 

Beating Kilmarnock at home in December. Everything was absolutely poised for us to kick on and have a go at a title challenged. There was a genuine feeling of unity among the players, the fans and the club in general. A real "what happened next?" moment. 

Last seasons worst moment?
Signing a player found guilty of rape in a civil court. I would strongly advise football clubs to not follow in our footsteps on that one. I cannot stress how fucking awful it was to go through that experience as a fan. 

Which former player would you like to see at the club?

Had we had the chance, it would have probably been Kieron Bowie. We need a centre forward and he'll have only got stronger since moving down to Fulham at the end of the 19/20 season. Unfortunately, he's away to Northampton. 

Most surprising moment?
Probably McGlynn and Smith deciding to go to Falkirk instead of remaining. In all honesty, it looks like a change for the best as everyone needed a fresh start after last season.

How will you do?

We should win the league and I think we will but we'll make it as hard as possible

Probably the win at Tynecaste 

Ross County 5-0 or Livi 4-0 hands down, although the appointment of Mark McGhee is right up there. 

Nobody, at least not realistic ones - not a fan of going down the former player route. If I had to pick would probably be Greg Stewart, or slightly left field and go for Nathan Ralph at left back. 

Absolutely nothing. Rather unsurprisingly, going up a division with the exact same team that struggled the majority of the previous season in the division below is the perfect recipe for relegation. Shocker. 

Edited by Lalo

How will you do?
I reckon top 4 again, kept the core of last seasons squad together with some decent additions too.

The 3-2 win against Raith Rovers after 2 late goals from Logan Chalmers. The seethe from Raith fans was utterly tremendous after that one. 

The second half of the second leg of the Playoff final. 

Ryan Christie, would piss this league and run riot with him playing in the 10 role. 

Going 7 games undefeated to start the league after a very underwhelming league cup campaign

How will you do?

I think we’ll be at least third. On paper, I think our squad is a match for anyone in the division. However, McCall has a horrible tendency for his sides to collapse after Christmas, and we’ll need to hope that doesn’t happen again this year. From the outside, it also appears that Dundee have a competent manager so I’d expect them to win the division.

What was last season’s best moment?

In terms of a single moment, Robbie Crawford’s goal against Caley in the playoff was great. Obviously it amounted to nothing in the end, but there was a brief moment where I forgot that we clearly weren’t actually going up and started planning for the Premiership. For an overall game, I missed the Hamilton 6-1 game, but the 4-0 at Somerset was excellent. Just an absolute scudding.

What was last season’s worst moment?

The continued involvement of Jacqui Low in the club. The 4-0 loss v Hamilton. Having to watch Juan Alegria on a regular basis.

Ross Forbes. I don’t care if he’s 33 and shite now or that he hasn’t played above League One level in 6 years. Sign him up.

We kept eight clean sheets in a row, which was unexpected given some of the other shenanigans our keepers got up to last season.