🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

I go to most home games and I didn't hear any sectarian stuff at all. I did hear some booing of the Irish anthem which was a bit disappointing but Hampden is a bit more hostile these days finally which I'll not complain about. 
I was in beside some Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts lads and they were noisy and fun. 6% import beer has much to answer for. Was a good night.

I have been working over in Dublin this weekend but (half) followed the game during my break on site. The Irish are not even questioning the booing of their anthem (which I thought was pretty poor by our fans tbh) in fact they were loving the fact the game had a real edge unlike friendly matches.

They have performed really badly in Nations League since its inception. A few folk said that Saturday night was where they really "got" the concept of it as it clearly meant alot to the players. They were loving the niggle and afters as they haven't shown that for ages.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I listened to a few bits and pieces that seemed to suggest that part of the pre-match thinking going into this game was to let Ireland expend a lot of energy in the first half and then push the game more in the 2nd half which I found interesting and is an interpretation that sits well with the general idea that it was a game of two halves.

I'm sure I remember it being a noticeable trait with Clarke's Killie team being much better in the second half of games.

Can't say i heard too much booing of the anthem or McClean from the away end to be honest.

On the game itself, disappointing result and we threw it away - i've never been convinced by Matt Doherty in an Ireland shirt and he let Christie breeze past him. Will be having nightmares about that Parrott 1-on-1 for a long time! On the whole happy with the performance from what is still a young squad, we could have won it on another day, and think we're going in the right direction. Best of luck against Ukraine 👍

Can't say i heard too much booing of the anthem or McClean from the away end to be honest.
On the game itself, disappointing result and we threw it away - i've never been convinced by Matt Doherty in an Ireland shirt and he let Christie breeze past him. Will be having nightmares about that Parrott 1-on-1 for a long time! On the whole happy with the performance from what is still a young squad, we could have won it on another day, and think we're going in the right direction. Best of luck against Ukraine [emoji106]
I thought Ireland were decent. A draw would have been fair but Ireland could so have won it. Loving Nations League tbh. if that's a friendly you wouldn't have had Hendry squaring up to Coleman! Great stuff imo. A real game. Listening to Irish commentary and pundits they have been very fair. Gutted I actually missed the game but made my Sunday shift easier than if we had lost [emoji3]

13 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Or Fife, or Edinburgh 

Edinburgh? You are not seriously suggesting  Edinburgh is some hotbed of sectarian tension are you? It's not 1935 any more.

If someone in Edinburgh asks you where you went to school they mean Private or State. 

6 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Edinburgh? You are not seriously suggesting  Edinburgh is some hotbed of sectarian tension are you? It's not 1935 any more.

If someone in Edinburgh asks you where you went to school they mean Private or State. 

Did you pretend not to see the Orange Lodges in Edinburgh?

Impressive 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.ccc012ab1b8c31825c9fb8134d220e37.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Did you pretend not to see the Orange Lodges in Edinburgh?

Impressive 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.ccc012ab1b8c31825c9fb8134d220e37.jpeg

They get out once a year I suppose. I can't honestly say I go out of my way looking for Orange walks. I have seen a lot of  Independence marches. I'd bet most of the Buckie fuelled hammerheads in the orange marches won't even be from Edinburgh.  

1 hour ago, éireabú said:

On the game itself, disappointing result and we threw it away - i've never been convinced by Matt Doherty in an Ireland shirt and he let Christie breeze past him. Will be having nightmares about that Parrott 1-on-1 for a long time! On the whole happy with the performance from what is still a young squad, we could have won it on another day, and think we're going in the right direction. Best of luck against Ukraine 👍

I was in the South stand (next to the Ireland fans) and I didn't hear any booing of anthems or McClean either. From where I was I thought it was a great atmosphere from both sets of fans and thankfully never witnessed any of the nonsense being mentioned. 

Thought Ireland were worthy of their lead at half time to be honest. second half was better from Scotland and the introduction of Ryan Fraser was the difference in the end for me and gave the team a lift.

I must admit that both the world cup playoff game against Ukraine and also Saturday against Ireland brought out some pretty terrible shouts. National anthems booed (I don't actually care about that to be honest, its disrespectful but you're asking a bit much of a small minority of football fans in that regard), a fair bit of sectarian shouts in the East where I was sat, including a rendition of the Rangers songbook by three wallopers directly behind me and some pretty unsavoury shouts/remarks against Ukraine back in June.

Like I say, you can't guarantee that a small minority of the 50,000+ won't act like total choppers but disappointing all the same.

On the game itself, disappointing result and we threw it away - i've never been convinced by Matt Doherty in an Ireland shirt and he let Christie breeze past him. Will be having nightmares about that Parrott 1-on-1 for a long time! On the whole happy with the performance from what is still a young squad, we could have won it on another day, and think we're going in the right direction. Best of luck against Ukraine [emoji106]
This is a good listen OTB Ireland is to quality compared to what we get in this country

[OTB Football] Kenny's comments 'too defensive' | Irish football culture war | Dan McDonnell #otbFootball
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/145706979 via @PodcastAddict

1 hour ago, andyg83 said:

This is a good listen OTB Ireland is to quality compared to what we get in this country

[OTB Football] Kenny's comments 'too defensive' | Irish football culture war | Dan McDonnell #otbFootball

I do like hearing the perspective from opponents, two sides to every story and all that. The Irish coverage has been interesting particularly post game. It's not that easy with other nations like Ukraine to get their take on the game outside of the sterile press conferences and with it being so easy to access the opponent perspective is insightful.

I also quite like the format of OTB we don't have anything too similar in Scotland, maybe Sportsound to an extent.

Edited by 2426255

I do like hearing the perspective from opponents, two sides to every story and all that. The Irish coverage has been interesting particularly post game. It's not that easy with other nations like Ukraine to get their take on the game outside of the sterile press conferences and with it being so easy to access the opponent perspective is insightful.
I also quite like the format of OTB we don't have anything too similar in Scotland, maybe Sportsound to an extent.
They seemed to really enjoy the game and the atmosphere. And they keep referring to us as a "big team" which is a hell of a compliment.

The guys on OTB are brilliant.

2 hours ago, andyg83 said:

Was listening to that today myself, they have had Tom English on it recently and I find he’s a fair bit more open and less cryptic than when he is on the BBC. 

18 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

I was in the South stand (next to the Ireland fans) and I didn't hear any booing of anthems or McClean either. From where I was I thought it was a great atmosphere from both sets of fans and thankfully never witnessed any of the nonsense being mentioned. 

Thought Ireland were worthy of their lead at half time to be honest. second half was better from Scotland and the introduction of Ryan Fraser was the difference in the end for me and gave the team a lift.

I was in the Upper South Stand about the halfway line and the booing was pretty noticeable.

It wasn’t me. At least I don’t think it was.

20 hours ago, AndyM said:

They get out once a year I suppose. I can't honestly say I go out of my way looking for Orange walks. I have seen a lot of  Independence marches. I'd bet most of the Buckie fuelled hammerheads in the orange marches won't even be from Edinburgh.  

The Buckie Fuelled Hammerheads.  Larkhall's premier thrash metal combo.