🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

So much better than Scotland and Ukraine that they are 8 points behind us and 6 points behind Ukraine, with 1 game left.

Putting the ball in the net is the whole point of the game.

I am referring to the board of that club, that club is a vile institution that encourages their behaviour to maximise their personal profit. Tory as f**k. Take a day off from being Mr Logic ffs.

What does the Celtic board have to do with a Scotland v Ireland game? Maybe you could take a day off from being angry at everything?

Didn't want to say it last night so as to not bring the tone down, but there were some pretty awful people supporting Scotland last night.

Sectarianism, racism towards Obafemi, the usual dreadful Harry Kane songs, some c***s near me singing about Bobby Sands and the Billy Boys, plus quite a few booing Scotland players before the game (obviously this isn't as bad as the other things but still embarrassing behaviour).

Would happily never play Ireland again if those games bring these types out, and 7.45pm on a Saturday tends to be shambolic.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So much better than Scotland and Ukraine that they are 8 points behind us and 6 points behind Ukraine, with 1 game left.

Putting the ball in the net is the whole point of the game.

Its not as if Scotland have a Lewandovski type striker that is making the difference either, Scotland are better stocked in just about every position apart from Goalkeeper.

Didn't want to say it last night so as to not bring the tone down, but there were some pretty awful people supporting Scotland last night.

Sectarianism, racism towards Obafemi, the usual dreadful Harry Kane songs, some c***s near me singing about Bobby Sands and the Billy Boys, plus quite a few booing Scotland players before the game (obviously this isn't as bad as the other things but still embarrassing behaviour).

Would happily never play Ireland again if those games bring these types out, and 7.45pm on a Saturday tends to be shambolic.

Yep, you can see it sneaking into the thread a bit too as I pointed out above. No issue with it as a sporting rivalry, but there's no excuse for a lot of the stuff I've seen reported as happening, we have a lot of common ground with Ireland and it should be a pretty friendly affair in the stands, which in the most part I think it was for both games.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I was hoping someone was going to bring this up on here as didn’t fancy doing it myself. Some of the claims on twitter are quite dreadful. I will only go off what I had seen on tv  but I was surprised the irish national anthem was booed as I can only ever remember the GSTQ ever getting properly booed, Mclean getting booed was a strange one. Tartan Army went a bit gammon last night by the sounds of it.

Edited by gannonball

Disappointing to hear all of the above. I'm all for the rivalry etc and couldn't care less about how Ireland get on away from games against us, but not great to hear that all that stuff was going on. Couple Irish mates who live here were just saying they had some unsavoury stuff shouted at them after the game.

In my own experience the Scotland support tend to be better than that. Agree with others, would rather not have fixtures like this if it's brings out nutters like that.  

Edited by AuAl

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What stand was this anti-social behaviour happening in?

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tartan Army went a bit gammon last night by the sounds of it.

I think there's often a bit of a tendency among sections.  I think, for instance, that you probably read more chauvinistic rubbish on the TA boards on here, than in most other parts of the site.  

The fact it was this opponent probably played a part, as did the kick off time on a Saturday, which is probably the biggest single factor.  

Scotland fans are definitely decent sorts in the main.  However, there are elements capable of behaving like total dicks.  It sounds like last night, they did.

I had to move seat last night after about half an hour as the guy behind me was absolutely unbearable with his shouts. Nothing particularly controversial, just utter nonsense. 

Like pure screaming at the top of his lungs (so in my ear) SEND HIMMMMM!!!! PLAY HIMMMMMM!

COME ONNNNNNNNNN!

GET IT UP THE PARK!!!! FCUKING KEEP THE BALL! COME ONNNMNNNNN!

WHO THE FCUK IS THAT TAE! FCUKING GET HIM AFF! 

FCUKING BOOOOO! 

I understand passion, but folk like this just get so angry over absolutely nothing. Genuinely ruined the start of the game for me. Not 20 seconds would go by before he was shouting out some football term that often made no sense to what was happening.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think there's often a bit of a tendency among sections.  I think, for instance, that you probably read more chauvinistic rubbish on the TA boards on here, than in most other parts of the site.  

The fact it was this opponent probably played a part, as did the kick off time on a Saturday, which is probably the biggest single factor.  

Scotland fans are definitely decent sorts in the main.  However, there are elements capable of behaving like total dicks.  It sounds like last night, they did.

"We are, we are, we are the total dicks,

We are, we are, we are the total dicks,

We're up to our knees in dickery

Dickery or you'll die,

We are the Scotland total dicks."

3 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I had to move seat last night after about half an hour as the guy behind me was absolutely unbearable with his shouts. Nothing particularly controversial, just utter nonsense. 

Like pure screaming at the top of his lungs (so in my ear) SEND HIMMMMM!!!! PLAY HIMMMMMM!

COME ONNNNNNNNNN!

FCUKING BOOOOO! 

I understand passion, but folk like this just get so angry over absolutely nothing. Genuinely ruined the start of the game for me. Not 20 seconds would go by before he was shouting out some football term that often made no sense to what was happening.

He obviously wanted it more than you!

I get the impression some folk would wander about shouting all the time if they could, but they have to bottle it up during the week. Pensive silence while gnawing on my fingernails is clearly much healthier.

53 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Heard a few booing Porteous when the announcer said his name. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

The simple fact is that a fair chunk of people are erseholes and we definitely have our fair share in Scotland fans and Scotland in general. Throw in a day on the booze and an opponent which brings out the worst in a certain section of our society then, unfortunately, there are bound to be some unsavoury incidents and comments.

Personally I love beating Ireland and Wales more than pretty much any other opponent. This is partly down to a wee bit of envy towards their relative success compared to us in recent years, despite our much larger football culture and history.

Still wouldn’t cause me to resort to racist or sectarian rhetoric. As I said, loads of people are huge erseholes and will have used last night as an opportunity to air their own prejudices in a more “acceptable” environment than they normally would.

Would still say the vast, vast majority of us have no issue at all with Ireland or the Irish beyond sporting rivalry.

Not to turn this into tit for tat but chants like "Ooh aah up the 'RA" weren't going to quell any bigots in the home support. 

Fortunately I didn't hear any offensively derogatory comments towards our visitors from around where my seat was. But given the combination of west of Scotland sectarianism and a full day in the boozer it did seem sadly inevitable. 

Edited by Lurkst

16 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

COME ONNNNNNNNNN!

FCUKING BOOOOO! 

I said the same thing on here after the Ukraine game. Some of our fans are ridiculous, we pass the ball 4 times and if we're not in on goal they're screaming their nut off. As others have said, the evening Saturday kick-offs definitely bring the worst out in some of our support.