🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Presumably Kenny's referring to a 12th Scottish player wearing an invisibility cloak, who caused Browne to come pelting in from nowhere, and raise his own hands in some sort of bizarre attempt to 'superman' the baw? That Scottish player??

14 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Feck me. 

He maybe wants to pop into Specsavers on his way to the flight back home! 

Edit - or cut back on the drinking a bit. He's seeing things that arent there!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Feck me. 

He maybe wants to pop into Specsavers on his way to the flight back home! 

Silly c**t still misses his jumper.

Edited by DA Baracus

Opinions and arseholes, eh? Much consensus and a few dissenting voices. I thought for much of the game Ireland looked slicker and more technically competent than we did, and that they probably deserved a draw. Now that we have got the result, we can afford to have a more objective and patronising assessment. I recall Ireland's keeper having only one save to make (from Fraser) and Gordon having much more to do.  That was partly because we have not got the technical ability to play out from the back. Our centre backs have to lumber and crank themselves in to position to play a simple pass-back to a goalkeeper who can't kick rather than try a more ambitious pass or bring the ball forward themselves. This leads on to one of the most highlighted problems. If Gordon can't kick well, why play so many back-passes (often to his right foot); this happened constantly in the earlier stages of the match.

I didn't think the Irish team was particularly agricultural, or dirty, or hammer-throwing cloggers. But then I didn't think Gary Breen came over like a 'fan with a typewriter' either and his comments were mostly even handed. Finally, whilst not being exposed to Michael Stewart's musings to the extent most contributors appear to be, I think he is at least as insightful as any of our usual commentators/pundits, and better than most. Now, let's kick their arses at a hybrid shinty/hurling contest.

Not fun. 

It was clear early on that we wanted to draw them out for a clipped ball in behind which didn't really seem to work at all. Hickey and Tierney are probably the two Scottish full-backs you want to build through, but either the quality in behind wasn't there or it came to them too slowly. I thought you could often see the difference in quality between our backline and theirs when it came to playing from the back. Having someone able to clip it across to the free full-back makes a big difference but we had to take it slower and allowed Ireland to stay in their good shape. 

Not sure if it started this way but at certain points, esp the first half, we seemed to be pressing in a 3-4-1-2 with Armstrong going inside and Hickey and Christie high on the wing-backs. Presumably it was to try and match Ireland when they were building up but I think they looked pretty decent in those situations. Made good decisions on the break to get through on goal too, but the gaps in midfield made that pretty easy. 

I don't really know what happened in the second half. Fraser was great, plus there was a spell where we were managing to get overloads out wide and regularly had quality deliveries. 

Just a strange game, but there were long spells where it looked like we'd make a meal of it so they deserve credit for coming back. The character of this squad is impressive, managing to enact revenge on Israel, Denmark, Ireland and Ukraine. 

6 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Opinions and arseholes, eh? Much consensus and a few dissenting voices. I thought for much of the game Ireland looked slicker and more technically competent than we did, and that they probably deserved a draw. Now that we have got the result, we can afford to have a more objective and patronising assessment. I recall Ireland's keeper having only one save to make (from Fraser) and Gordon having much more to do.  That was partly because we have not got the technical ability to play out from the back. Our centre backs have to lumber and crank themselves in to position to play a simple pass-back to a goalkeeper who can't kick rather than try a more ambitious pass or bring the ball forward themselves. This leads on to one of the most highlighted problems. If Gordon can't kick well, why play so many back-passes (often to his right foot); this happened constantly in the earlier stages of the match.

I didn't think the Irish team was particularly agricultural, or dirty, or hammer-throwing cloggers. But then I didn't think Gary Breen came over like a 'fan with a typewriter' either and his comments were mostly even handed. Finally, whilst not being exposed to Michael Stewart's musings to the extent most contributors appear to be, I think he is at least as insightful as any of our usual commentators/pundits, and better than most. Now, let's kick their arses at a hybrid shinty/hurling contest.

You are over-thinking this. Scotland won, and Ireland lost, therefore, they should get it right fucking roond them.

I’m seeing a load of Irish lads on Twitter saying they’re getting better under Kenny. How shite must they have been before?

They got dominated possession wise, created chances only on the break via Scottish mistakes, and kicked anything that moved. The better team with the better players and manager won. Get it up them.

14 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

The game where we really struggled to break down a very very average Ireland team? Compared to the one we overran a pretty decent Ukraine team? 

Leaving aside the fact that attributing that to the respective contibutions of two players and not the other 10/ 15 is an act of wilful myopia, you do know the two of them have played other games for Scotland? Right? 

Restricting yourself to a two game sample is simply a way of getting the result you want. When Dykes was scoring in 4 straight games last year did you think the same? 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Full day drinking in the pub. Hampden was bouncing at the end.

A few seething 'Irish fans' with broad Glaswegian accents.

Get it right up you and your IRA chants you plastic paddy b*****ds.

Edited by K77

Personally I thought Ireland looked like a bunch of hammer throwers. No doubting their 100% commitment and good organisation, which goes a long way toward making up for a technically average side. A bit like Israel, who always struck me as an incredibly hard working bunch of jobbers and a nightmare to play against in the 73 times we've played them recently.