🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I was born in Ireland ffs :lol: Although as I have said on here I don’t feel particularly attached to either country. 

A real paddy! Even worse. 

ETA - I am joking, before certain people take offence

Edited by Dons_1988

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As much as I think Scotland were better than Ireland, the match was won by a totally inexplicable handball late on.

On paper the Scotland team and more so the squad is significantly better than Ireland but neither game really showed that.

Pretty sure we won because we scored more goals.

The handball wasn't inexplicable. It fitted really neatly into the pattern of them stopping our attacks however they could. That foul stopped McTominay gettig his head to the ball in a dangerous position in their box. 

We didn't batter them like we did Ukraine, but that goal was coming. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Pretty sure we won because we scored more goals.

The handball wasn't inexplicable. It fitted really neatly into the pattern of them stopping our attacks however they could. That foul stopped McTominay gettig his head to the ball in a dangerous position in their box. 

We didn't batter them like we did Ukraine, but that goal was coming. 

Throwing two hands straight up in the air at a ball coming in at not a great deal of pace is inexplicable for me.  Also what I said was correct, it was the last goal scored late on that took the points not sure why you have tried to be smart in the first sentence. Scotland may have pushed on more if they weren’t gifted that brainfart and won but there wasn’t a huge amount of time left to do so.

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Throwing two hands straight up in the air at a ball coming in at not a great deal of pace is inexplicable for me.  Also what I said was correct, it was the last goal scored late on that took the points not sure why you have tried to be smart in the first sentence. Scotland may have pushed on more if they weren’t gifted that brainfart and won but there wasn’t a huge amount of time left to do so.

Ireland couldn’t stop us within the rules. I think that means they didn’t deserve anything from the game. 

51 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As much as I think Scotland were better than Ireland, the match was won by a totally inexplicable handball late on.

On paper the Scotland team and more so the squad is significantly better than Ireland but neither game really showed that.

yep - this is my main criticism of Clarke ie why in certain (key) games does the team inexplicably under-perform and are unable to reach the levels of previous performances (even against "lesser" teams)? 

Saying that, Ireland are pish against most teams with the possible exception of us. Maybe the way Scotland play or the occasion brings out the best in them. I think last night Scotland showed we were better and played the better football, with perhaps the better chance(s) falling to Ireland though. However the penalty decision was in my view pretty clear. 

Irish commentators on RTE were suggesting though there is little between the teams in terms of overall quality.....

Edited by KingRocketman II
sorry - thought you meant the penalty award was inexplicable...

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The handball wasn't inexplicable. 

It was.

It was absolutely crazy to attack the ball in the box with hands up like that.  The ref's decision certainly wasn't inexplicable (although having watched it over and over, I'm still not 100% sure that Browne touched it).

Browne's behaviour was utterly inexplicable though.  It was a bonkers moment that nobody could describe as a rational attempt to thwart an opponent.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

yep - this is my main criticism of Clarke ie why in certain (key) games does the team inexplicably under-perform and are unable to reach the levels of previous performances (even against "lesser" teams)? 

Saying that, Ireland are pish against most teams with the possible exception of us. Maybe the way Scotland play or the occasion brings out the best in them. I agree Scotland were better and we played the better football, with perhaps the better chance(s) falling to Ireland though. However the penalty decision was in my view pretty clear. 

For the avoidance of doubt I meant the actions of the player were inexplicable rather than the ref :lol:
I do think Clarke is still the right man for the job but this Ireland team are a shadow of any I can remember in my lifetime so wouldn’t be using them as any barometer of success, they lost at home to Luxembourg last year ffs.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was.

It was absolutely crazy to attack the ball in the box with hands up like that.  The ref's decision certainly wasn't inexplicable (although having watched it over and over, I'm still not 100% sure that Browne touched it).

Browne's behaviour was utterly inexplicable though.  It was a bonkers moment that nobody could describe as a rational attempt to thwart an opponent.

Rationality is not the only available explanation. 

If we hadn’t got the penalty, I still think we looked like sneaking a late winner. Ryan Fraser did will when he came on.

First half was a bit ropey and we never seemed to make the right decisions when attacking. Second half we were the better side but Craig Gordon saved us. 

It’s a concern that our first and second choice full backs have been in the wars. Wonder how many will make the Ukraine game?

On 22/07/2022 at 15:42, CM. said:

South upper is an excellent view but not as good as North or West for atmosphere, although it was still jumping for the Israel game. Got my 4 game package for up there.

On 24/07/2022 at 21:04, Anfield 1977 said:

In all seriousness it depends on your eyesight.

Personally speaking it is my favourite section and the view is second to none.

Met many who agree with me but also a number of people who think it is too far from the pitch and a couple who have been in the South Upper once and don't plan on going back - but it's a definite thumbs up from me.

First time in the South Upper. It’s excellent for getting a view of the whole pitch at the same time, but I felt a bit removed from the action. I think I preferred the South Lower and being closer to the pitch. I liked the padded seats and the queues for the toilets and snack bars were much smaller.

Looking forward to my next visit. Hopefully we get the win in Ukraine and get a decent draw for the qualifiers.

I was a bit disappointed by last night's performance. We could easily have lost that; despite being on top and pushing forward for the most part, they probably should have taken more from hitting us on the break, and they were stubborn b*****ds at the back. Seemed like more of an away performance that you could be relieved to have taken a win from.

That said, we know what a nightmare the away game actually was; last night was an improvement and we managed to get the win, so I'm not reading anything into it. Happy to put the tight score down to Ireland playing well again (yes, that was them playing well, and they certainly do seem to be improving). That was this campaign's Georgia; we got what was required, and we're halfway through taking what's needed from the actual competitor.

One of the commentators on RTE was trying to claim that, despite Scotland thinking otherwise, Ireland aren't particularly any worse and that they're underperforming. The denial that goes along with being a football fan never fails to amuse.

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It seems to be a common opinion among pundits of an Irish persuasion that there's not much between the teams in quality, but looking at the level the squads play at there's really quite a gulf on paper.

Definitely, they strike me as being in a kind of Bertie Vogts equivalent period with players jobbing in the English championship and/ or on loan from Premiership clubs. Also Kenny isn't far off from Herr Vogts in terms of results and performances. 

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It seems to be a common opinion among pundits of an Irish persuasion that there's not much between the teams in quality, but looking at the level the squads play at there's really quite a gulf on paper.

Aye, I don't think we're world beaters or anything, but we might be becoming a decent Pot 2 side. I've nothing against Ireland, but I've seen them play a few times over the past few years, and their players are not of that standard. If they improve their position - good luck to them, I don't give a f**k - it'll be due to good tactics and preparation more than having a talented squad to exploit. Just as well they've got Stephen Kenny in charge of that stuff, eh?

You have to wonder if any nation has a realistic concept of their players' ability. Maybe San Marino are secretly seething at being so bad, as their players are pure SO much better than those Maltese and Gibraltan c***s  :P

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Watching the first goal back and it's some lovely play by Hendry with his drive forward, the overload by Taylor and Christie and the wee dinked ball in for Hendry is absolutely inch perfect.

It is a good goal.

It's well worked from half way.  An excellent cross and a fine header from the same guy that drove forward in the first place.

However, the time and room that Christie is given by the defenders, who are actually close to him, to deliver that excellent cross, is criminal.  If it had happened like that at the other end, we'd all be moaning like Hell about it.