🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

I try not to hate any nation or team (except England in the latter category) but I have certainly never felt any of that Celtic Britherhood fellow-feeling we're sometimes assumed to have. They also seem to play above their dismal level whenever they play us.

Tonight we were a bit lucky but after the Irish thuggery late on I'm especially delighted we beat them and hope we can go on to higher things while they continue to grovel about in the lower reaches of international football.

47 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Never mind Stephen Kenny visiting the opticians, he needs to find a decent barbers first.

c**t looks like he cuts his own hair.

With a fork and knife. 

Great result tonight. Steve Clarke is the master of getting a better second half performance out of his team. 

Absolutely fucking mental beyond all belief that there were c***s calling for him to go in June. Mental. Folk were in dreamland if they think we are getting a better manager than SC. The job should be his til he doesnt want it - hes so well suited for it and these players clearly love playing for the guy in a way we have rarely seen with the national team. 

To be fair to the Irish lads who usually give us a warm welcome in Dublin when we’re over, there was a lot of similar songs sung by the home fans. In fact before the game almost every Scotland fan as well as the players and staff were singing about freedom and fighting off the English. So to be consistent we have to say there is pesky, unbowing rebels in both colonies still. Very ungrateful and ungracious.

3 minutes ago, Buckets said:

To be fair to the Irish lads who usually give us a warm welcome in Dublin when we’re over, there was a lot of similar songs sung by the home fans. In fact before the game almost every Scotland fan as well as the players and staff were singing about freedom and fighting off the English. So to be consistent we have to say there is pesky, unbowing rebels in both colonies still. Very ungrateful and ungracious.

What does that even mean ?

4 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Opinions and arseholes, eh? Much consensus and a few dissenting voices. I thought for much of the game Ireland looked slicker and more technically competent than we did, and that they probably deserved a draw. Now that we have got the result, we can afford to have a more objective and patronising assessment. I recall Ireland's keeper having only one save to make (from Fraser) and Gordon having much more to do.  That was partly because we have not got the technical ability to play out from the back. Our centre backs have to lumber and crank themselves in to position to play a simple pass-back to a goalkeeper who can't kick rather than try a more ambitious pass or bring the ball forward themselves. This leads on to one of the most highlighted problems. If Gordon can't kick well, why play so many back-passes (often to his right foot); this happened constantly in the earlier stages of the match.

I didn't think the Irish team was particularly agricultural, or dirty, or hammer-throwing cloggers. But then I didn't think Gary Breen came over like a 'fan with a typewriter' either and his comments were mostly even handed. Finally, whilst not being exposed to Michael Stewart's musings to the extent most contributors appear to be, I think he is at least as insightful as any of our usual commentators/pundits, and better than most. Now, let's kick their arses at a hybrid shinty/hurling contest.

Talking shit- Ireland more technically gifted !

They started well and battled throughout the game - great from a spectator point of view but the superior team won at the end of the day - no saying we're world beaters tho.

4 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I was sat beside a couple of Ireland fans who were singing about the IRA both while the actual away section was and at other times. They were fairly in my face when Ireland took the lead.

When we scored the winner, was I the bigger man, willing to forgive their indescretions? 

No. I was not

f**k them,good man

He's an utterly ridiculous person. Constantly contrarian just for the sake of being a contrarian arse. 
Scotland win the 2nd half 2-0. 
'Martin.... Scotland the better team in the 2nd half?'
'No, I don't agree'
And then he spends 30 seconds praising an Irish side that kicked the scottish players more than the ball for 90 mins.
He's genuinely a bizarre individual.
You can see the stupid wee smirk on his face even as Currie is asking him something or about to go over to him for comment. He knows he's about to spout some inane, wannabe controversial shite.

What's the point of having these sorts on? It's the worst development of football coverage in the last few years that we seem to have decided just to full partisan in commentary and analysis, with a side helping of who can say the most dumb shit to try and provoke outrage.

I was pretty frustrated with Steve Clarke starting dykes instead of adams. Why change a winning team (Paterson aside). It meant Scotland went long which plays into Ireland’s hands. However, there is just something about this team at the moment where you are always confident of them finding a way to get a result. I don’t think Ireland were particularly good albeit they had a couple of a good chance.

It was quite enjoyable to watch to be honest. Scotland going four at the back makes us a bit more open defensively but also a lot more exciting to watch.

Onto Tuesday

6 hours ago, Buckets said:

I thought we were condemning the anti-English chanting on both sides. I definitely heard both sides singing about fighting the English. Just pointing it out so there is no accusations of double standards. 

Not hard guessing who your big team is.