🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇮🇪 Ireland 🍀 - 24th September

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Leaving aside the fact that attributing that to the respective contibutions of two players and not the other 10/ 15 is an act of wilful myopia, you do know the two of them have played other games for Scotland? Right? 

Restricting yourself to a two game sample is simply a way of getting the result you want. When Dykes was scoring in 4 strsight games last year did you think the same? 

You asked what game I was watching.

Didn't realise that I had to provide an analysis of every game they've ever played for Scotland. Adams is a much much better football player than Dykes. Scotland play much much better with Adams in the team than with Dykes. 

Dykes is a valuable member of the squad but he's never in a million years a better player than Adams. For what it's worth I have absolutely 100% always thought Adams was a better player even when Dykes had his purple patch. 

26 minutes ago, Loominous said:

Great result. Performance was good and bad, but given all the circumstances it's been a fantastic effort from everyone involved and particularly a mention for our manager Steve Clarke and Captain John McGinn who in fairness have been stellar in these two games.

Gordon and Hendry

26 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Opinions and arseholes, eh? Much consensus and a few dissenting voices. I thought for much of the game Ireland looked slicker and more technically competent than we did, and that they probably deserved a draw. Now that we have got the result, we can afford to have a more objective and patronising assessment. I recall Ireland's keeper having only one save to make (from Fraser) and Gordon having much more to do.  That was partly because we have not got the technical ability to play out from the back. Our centre backs have to lumber and crank themselves in to position to play a simple pass-back to a goalkeeper who can't kick rather than try a more ambitious pass or bring the ball forward themselves. This leads on to one of the most highlighted problems. If Gordon can't kick well, why play so many back-passes (often to his right foot); this happened constantly in the earlier stages of the match.

I didn't think the Irish team was particularly agricultural, or dirty, or hammer-throwing cloggers. But then I didn't think Gary Breen came over like a 'fan with a typewriter' either and his comments were mostly even handed. Finally, whilst not being exposed to Michael Stewart's musings to the extent most contributors appear to be, I think he is at least as insightful as any of our usual commentators/pundits, and better than most. Now, let's kick their arses at a hybrid shinty/hurling contest.

You make some good points

BUT , did you see the build up to our equaliser ?

A great result in the end which gives us a real positive opportunity going into the Ukraine match.  

Hendry probably the pick of the bunch tonight for me but there were much improved performances in the 2nd half from Mcginn and Christie. We are genuinely a legitimate threatening side when we start moving the ball quickly, I just don’t think we do it anywhere near enough though which frustrates me. Ireland for me are stinking minus one or 2 average players and it felt like any of their chances came from our wrongdoings or sheer stupidity. 

Regarding dykes or Adams up top. I’ve always been more favoured towards Adams. I fully appreciate Dykes contribution so far and I do think he gets unwarranted criticism in some scenarios but I just think Adams overall game is more impactful for the whole team. He’s not prolific but I always feel he contributes positively. When Dykes is off it, he almost feels like a man down at times and for large parts of that first half, I was getting that same feeling again. He did improve 2nd half but I do hope for Ukraine, Adams gets the nod up top

Just now, Virtual Insanity said:

The game where we really struggled to break down a very very average Ireland team? Compared to the one we overran a pretty decent Ukraine team? 

Agreed, adams movement pace and touch just offers us so much more than dykes. The difference he makes to the team is absolutely massive.

We were a bit fortunate to get away with that tonight. And adams getting the rest will hopefully mean he's flying for ukraine on Tuesday.

Adams can run them into the ground and Dykes can come on and finish them off again at the end hopefully.

19 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I was sat beside a couple of Ireland fans who were singing about the IRA both while the actual away section was and at other times. They were fairly in my face when Ireland took the lead.

When we scored the winner, was I the bigger man, willing to forgive their indescretions? 

No. I was not

A lot of anti-Irish feeling here.............which is nice to see ...those p***ks get far too easy a time normally. They gave us U2 and The Bachelor's for fucks sake !

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

A lot of anti-Irish feeling here.............which is nice to see ...those p***ks get far too easy a time normally. They gave us U2 and The Bachelor's for fucks sake !

The reason I really can't be fucked with them is nothing to do with politics, or religion, or culture, or even the fact they are invariably fucking murder to watch and habitually play a brand of football that would make a pub team cringe in embarrassment, it's entirely down to the endless media fawning and the 'aww, they're everybody's favourite second team really, eh?' pish that we get subjected to every fucking time they have a fixture. They aren't even part of the UK or a home nation, so it's no even like the same thing that happens with Wales or NI.

Ireland is an absolute fucking irrelevance to me in the context of international football, and I couldn't give any more of a f**k about them than I do any other random foreign country. The only time I want to hear them mentioned on Scottish TV is if we've just taken full points off them.