1972 Cup Winners’ Cup embarrassment

On 21/07/2022 at 20:31, Captain Saintsible said:

We all know that Rangers (formed in 1873 - now in liquidation) won the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1972.

This was the year before they *actually* celebrated their *actual*  centenary in 1973

Their fans then rioted (as they did in 2008 when they next reached a European final) and they were presented with the cup in the dressing room.

If that’s not embarrassing enough, the fact is that Rangers weren’t actually “cup winners”. They lost to Celtic in the final the previous season. They only qualified for the competition as Celtic’s sloppy seconds.

I know that Rangers are now defunct but what do former fans of this club, that no longer exists, think of this embarrassment?

If I were a former fan of this deceased club I’d be mortified.

The 1873 - 1973 gig was a farce.

I went to the old Rangers centenary game v Arsenal in 1973.

A shilling (5p) to get in.

Throw it on nearly 40 years and someone mentions 1872.

ffs make your mind up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2022 at 19:09, PossilYM said:

ffs make your mind up.

I had forgotten that it was only a bob to get in!!!!!

It was the one and only time I ended up in the short-lived Centenary Stand.

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 00:15, Donny said:

Rangers (now in liquidation) celebrated their centenary season in 1973

Why do Sevco (formed in 2012) claim that Rangers were formed in 1872?

Because when they bought the history they got a bonus year.

On 10/09/2022 at 19:09, PossilYM said:

ffs make your mind up.

It's Dumbarton's 150th anniversary on 23rd December coming.  For almost my entire life Rangers founding year was accepted as 1873, making us Scotland's fourth oldest club.

At some point recently somebody clocked Rangers mileage and the year 1872 appeared.  According to our DFC historian Rangers were apparently formed as a club in 1872, but it was 1873 before they kicked a ball in anger.

So, they were there, but not actually playing - a bit like this season's Champions League.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2022 at 14:13, Syme said:

It's almost 30 years since Simon Kuper's "Football Against the Enemy" was published.

It's numerous globetrotting narratives include Argentinian death squads in the lead-up to the 1978 World Cup, the East German Stasi spying on players, the Yugoslav civil war, corruption in Africa and the recently deceased USSR, undocumented migrants in the USA following Latin American teams and Gazza's antics in Rome.

Even in a book examining surreal situations, the 10 most jawdroppingly unbelievable quotes in the book all come from one chapter. "Celtic and Rangers... Or Rangers and Celtic."

I'd already left the UK by the time "Football Against the Enemy" was published. Many of the places spotlighted in the book have moved on in 30 years. I'm back here now.

Scotland in general hasn't. As for Glasgow...

I can't believe it's been thirty years...I was given that book for my Xmas and read it and re-read it... brilliant 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2022 at 20:15, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's Dumbarton's 150th anniversary on 23rd December coming.  For almost my entire life Rangers founding year was accepted as 1873, making us Scotland's fourth oldest club.

At some point recently somebody clocked Rangers mileage and the year 1872 appeared.  According to our DFC historian Rangers were apparently formed as a club in 1872, but it was 1873 before they kicked a ball in anger.

So, they were there, but not actually playing - a bit like this season's Champions League.

Rangers’ beginnings were therefore similar to their end - they are still here (going through liquidation) but not actually playing 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 27/07/2022 at 11:42, bilko89 said:

Awk I'll join a football forum instead of chatting on Twitter, surely the chat will be more mature.......

I tried that too. I thought this would be a more mature place but it's the same boring chat. 

Banter and the like is fine but this is as boring as it gets. 

I've now decided to repeat my feat of a few years ago and stop coming on here again.

Leave the bigots to their bile. 

5 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

I tried that too. I thought this would be a more mature place but it's the same boring chat. 

Banter and the like is fine but this is as boring as it gets. 

I've now decided to repeat my feat of a few years ago and stop coming on here again.

Leave the bigots to their bile. 

Walking Away, the Rangers Way. You let your club die.

See Ya Adele GIF by E!